Pages:
Author

Topic: Ledger Nano S Vs Trezor - page 2. (Read 442 times)

Activity: 190
Merit: 15
Customer Support at https://coinswitch.co/
February 26, 2019, 08:27:39 AM
Ledger Nano S Vs Trezor Review 2019 | Best Hardware Wallet Battle

Ledger Nano S Vs Trezor
Now let’s compare both – Trezor and Ledger Nano S – that have been voted best hardware wallets for 2019.

1. The appearance of the Systems
Trezor devices are made of plastic, and the Ledger Nano S is made of stainless steel which offers maximum damage resistance. The Ledger looks way more stylish than the Trezor as it’s less bulky.

Both the devices come with two buttons to manage crypto wallet software and are integrated with miniaturized USB ports. The size (length) and screen of Trezor is larger than the Ledger’s screen.

2. Box Content
The Trezor comes in a little square box with a security seal. The container contains the gadget encased in dark foam with a strap for hanging it up. Additionally incorporates a USB cable for association with your PC, a user manual card, two recuperation seed cards, and various Trezor marked stickers. While in the Ledger box, you will get a USB Cable for easily connecting it to your computer, a Key Chain, a Lanyard to keep the device on your person along with instructions and a recovery card for your seed words.

3. Device Usage
Trezor is compatible with desktops and mobile devices that are installed with MacOS, Windows, and Linux. It is also compatible with all Android devices, and Google Chrome extensions available for Trezor that helps users to manage the gadget and the data placed in it. It has ‘well-designed’ user-friendly interface that enables you to view transactions with send and receive tabs at the top. Moreover, on the top left, it has a drop-down to switch between cryptocurrencies.

On the other hand, the Ledger Nano S is compatible with all devices integrated with MacOS, Linux, Windows, and Chrome OS. Basically, it requires chromium and extension downloads to function properly. It has an easy-to-use with all the information and tools clearly labeled. Moreover, one can store cryptocurrencies in one place and access them from one screen.

4. Cryptocurrency Support
Cryptocurrency support is the most important factor in deciding which hardware wallet to use. Trezor can be utilized to hold a wide assortment of digital coins. However, it does not provide full support for certain cryptocurrencies due to hardware constraints. Following cryptocurrencies are supported by Trezon:

Bitcoin (BTC)
Litecoin (LTC)
DASH
Zcash
Bitcoin Cash / Bcash (BCH)
Bitcoin Gold (BTG)
Ethereum (ETH)
Ethereum Classic (ETC)
ERC-20 Tokens
Expanse (EXP)
UBIQ (UBQ)
NEM (XEM)
Namecoin
Dogecoin
On the contrary, Ledger offers full support for Bitcoins, Ethereum and other currencies, thanks to its Google Chrome extensions. The device fulfills the standard requirements of cryptocurrency users by supporting the following cryptocurrencies:

Bitcoin (BTC)
Bitcoin Cash (BCH)
Bitcoin Gold (BTG)
Ethereum (ETH)
Ethereum Tokens (ERC-20)
Ethereum Classic (ETC)
Litecoin (LTC)
Dogecoin (DOGE)
Zcash (ZEC)
Ripple (XRP)
Dash (DASH)
Stratis (STRAT)
Komodo (KMD)
Ark (ARK)
Expanse (EXP)
Ubiq (UBQ)
Vertcoin (VTC)
Viacoin (VIA)
Neo (NEO)
Stealthcoin (XST)
Stellar (XLM)
Hcash (HSR)
Digibyte (DGB)
Qtum (QTUM)
PivX (PIVX)
PosW (POSW)
5. Setup
The setup process for Trezor and Ledger is quite similar. Both the devices require you to set up a pin code as an added security measure. Pin code reinforcement stops hackers and scammers from stealing information from your device, that is, if someone makes more than three incorrect attempts, the device automatically deletes all the data stored on it. In such a case, you can use recovery seeds for lost data. Moreover, the user’s seed is never displayed on a computer screen for an extra level of security.

6. Pricing
The cost of a Ledger device is around USD 60, while the cost of a Trezor device is approx USD 100.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 5622
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
February 26, 2019, 08:16:19 AM
Ledger absolutely supports those things. I know because I am currently using them.

With Ledger, you can set up not only one passphrase, but as many passphrases as you want, to hide as many different wallets as you want. Each of those accounts will be completely hidden unless you know the passphrase, allowing for plausible deniability. There are set up instructions here: https://support.ledger.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005214529

Ledger nano also support "hidden wallet " feature. You can set a second pin which will have a different seed.

So in case someone is physically forcing you to send your coins to him, you can unlock your second wallet and give you just a small part of your holdings.

https://support.ledger.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005214529-Advanced-passphrase-security

Plausible deniability

To protect yourself in case of physical threat, make sure your primary PIN code unlocks only a minor part of your crypto assets. Then set up a passphrase attached to a PIN code and store more significant amount of crypto assets on the passphrase-protected accounts.

If you are under duress to unlock your Ledger Nano S, you can surrender your main PIN code to the attacker while hiding the PIN code that unlocks your passphrase-protected accounts.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18587
February 26, 2019, 06:46:39 AM
On the other hand, Ledger’s firmware and integrated wallet software are not that advanced. It does not support shrouded accounts and does not include password administrator functionality.
Ledger absolutely supports those things. I know because I am currently using them.

With Ledger, you can set up not only one passphrase, but as many passphrases as you want, to hide as many different wallets as you want. Each of those accounts will be completely hidden unless you know the passphrase, allowing for plausible deniability. There are set up instructions here: https://support.ledger.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005214529
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1006
February 26, 2019, 05:57:05 AM
Yes, I do own Trezor. I prefer hardware wallets more than other(Mobile or web) wallets. Was just exploring more on hardware wallets.

I should have quoted on the other threads(you shared) instead on a new thread.
It's fine, just wan't to inform others that there are other threads similar to this if they want to read feedback of others about this hardware wallets. I am contemplating on buying Trezor or Ledger Nano S but your personal review makes side more on Trezor. I was considering to buy Ledger Nano S. But after reading this, this made me think Trezor fits my needs. I am not saying that Trezor is best, I just think that it fits my requirements.
Activity: 56
Merit: 4
February 26, 2019, 05:05:51 AM
Yes, I do own Trezor. I prefer hardware wallets more than other(Mobile or web) wallets. Was just exploring more on hardware wallets.

I should have quoted on the other threads(you shared) instead on a new thread.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1006
February 26, 2019, 04:42:17 AM
Nice review. Do you own either of the two devices and tested both to come up with this review.
Here are other threads related to Ledger nano S and Trezor
Ledger Nano S or Trezor? Why?
Which Hardware Wallet is better? Ledger or Trezor
Trezor or Nano Ledger ?
Activity: 56
Merit: 4
February 26, 2019, 04:36:25 AM
Trezor Review and Ledger Nano S Review, here are few key takeaways:

Trezor is better in terms of wallet software as it enables the transaction information to be synced with a DropBox account. Plus, you can create an endless number of hidden accounts by password protecting a user’s seed. Don’t worry; it does offer an easily accessible password directory. On the other hand, Ledger’s firmware and integrated wallet software are not that advanced. It does not support shrouded accounts and does not include password administrator functionality. However, the Ledger currently supports more currencies so you should check the list above to make sure your desired coin is covered. And, in case, your wallet has been lost or got corrupt, it can be recovered without connecting the Ledger device to a PC.

Hence, both devices have their own pros and cons. It is really difficult to nominate ‘which is the better device’ – either Trezor or Ledger Nano S. Both are worth their money. So, while making a purchasing decision, you can consider the coins supported by the device, the look, and design of the wallet and the software user interface.
Pages:
Jump to: