Pages:
Author

Topic: Ledger omitting one character from a Doge address - page 2. (Read 317 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
Do Doge addresses contain a checksum as bitcoin addresses do?
As far as I am aware, the only difference between a Dogecoin address and a legacy Bitcoin address is that the Dogecoin address uses a 0x1E version byte instead of a 0x00 version byte, meaning the first character of the address is "D" rather than "1". So yes, they contain the same double SHA256 checksum.
copper member
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899
Amazon Prime Member #7
Do Doge addresses contain a checksum as bitcoin addresses do? If so, it shouldn't be necessary to worry about a single omitted address, as the transaction would be invalid if incorrect.

If you are concerned about an attacker creating a vanity address that matches the entire 1st page displayed on your Ledger device, remember that creating vanity addresses get exponentially more difficult with each additional character you want.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
Perhaps I'm not evil enough though, maybe there is some other way to exploit this.
I don't think it's caused by an exploit, and I expect a missing character to result in an invalid address. My hope is that it's just a display bug on the Ledger.

My clipboard was correct Smiley

I'm assuming it's a display issue, and I was thinking if/how it could be exploited, not that it's caused by an exploit.

If it's not a display issue and it really cuts one character out and puts that mangled hash in the TX that'd be quite nasty.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Perhaps I'm not evil enough though, maybe there is some other way to exploit this.
I don't think it's caused by an exploit, and I expect a missing character to result in an invalid address. My hope is that it's just a display bug on the Ledger, my fear is it's creating an incorrect (and invalid) transaction.

My clipboard was correct Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
Probably not an issue, at least not with the type of attack I'm thinking of - like clipboard malware. It would have to match all other characters, which is pretty much impossible. Perhaps I'm not evil enough though, maybe there is some other way to exploit this.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
When trying to send some Doge from my Ledger using Ledger Live, it missed one character on the display when comparing the address. Let's say the address was xxxxNyyyyzzzz. The address is split over several screens because it's too large, and looks like this on the Ledger:
Code:
Address (1/3)
xxxxx
Code:
Address (2/3)
yyyyy
The character in between xxxxNyyyy didn't show up! I tried a small amount, and set a low fee. It didn't show up on a block explorer, and didn't confirm.
Ledger Live shows the correct address, but the Ledger device doesn't!

After a while the funds returned to Ledger, and I made a new transaction to another address. Everything worked as expected.

I'm just posting here for latere reference.
Pages:
Jump to: