Pages:
Author

Topic: Lets have some fun!! Brainwallet with 1btc. You crack it, its yours. FREE BTC - page 3. (Read 7974 times)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
How long is the password?
Activity: 154
It's not just that there are no numbers, but that it is upper case followed by all lower case like a person's name.

Yeah, roughly (24/58)^7 = 0.002 for an uppercase followed by any six lowercase, so its getting on for unlikely, but not wildly impossible.

As you all probably know more about this than me; what about with every second letter a vowel?

Eg  1Nakamo
not 1Stshnm
Activity: 196
It's not just that there are no numbers, but that it is upper case followed by all lower case like a person's name.

Yeah, roughly (24/58)^7 = 0.002 for an uppercase followed by any six lowercase, so its getting on for unlikely, but not wildly impossible.
Activity: 168
It would have to be one hell of a collision!

1NatimoL has 7 leading characters which do not contain a digit. Since there are 9 digits in base58 I make this a (9/58)^7 or 1 in 461634 chance of happening by chance. Pretty rare, but he didn't say how he came up with the pass phrase. Perhaps using a custom vanity generator driven by a brainwallet dictionary search? Its going to be pretty slow, not unlike building rainbow tables, actually it is exactly like building a rainbow table, come to think of it, so maybe this explains the source of the address?

Scratch that. Math was never my best subject. Its (49/58)^7 = 0.3 so not so unlikely after all. OOPS  Roll Eyes

Not to nitpick but I believe the odds (after the address type) being a 1 are 1 in 256 (assuming ripemd160 distribution from sha256 hash is even) while the odds of 2-9 are 8/57 IF the first isn't isn't a 1.

so not so unlikely after all.

x@x:~/vanitygen/vanitygen$ ./vanitygen 1NatimoL
Difficulty: 873388193410
[65.48 Kkey/s][total 190208][Prob 0.0%][50% in 107.0d]

multiplied by whatever attack, divided by how much better his PC is than mine..

If you know n and hash(n) [ie rainbow table], is it possible to compute z given hash(z) [ie vanitygen output], or even n1+n2+n3 -> hash(n1+n2+n3) ~> ?
Activity: 196

1NatimoL has 7 leading characters which do not contain a digit. Since there are 9 digits in base58 I make this a (9/58)^7 or 1 in 461634 chance of happening by chance. Pretty rare, but he didn't say how he came up with the pass phrase. Perhaps using a custom vanity generator driven by a brainwallet dictionary search? Its going to be pretty slow, not unlike building rainbow tables, actually it is exactly like building a rainbow table, come to think of it, so maybe this explains the source of the address?

Scratch that. Math was never my best subject. Its (49/58)^7 = 0.3 so not so unlikely after all. OOPS  Roll Eyes

Even a capital letter followed by 6 lowercase ones comes out to roughly one in 100 (I think I'm getting the hang of this now).
The private keys generated by brain wallet are sha256 hashes of a passphrase.  I don't see how you could come up with a passphrase that would generate a 256 bit private key which in turn would generate a public address beginning with "1Natimo".  The pass phrase would just look like random characters and have no meaning.

Activity: 16
Merit: 0
The 32-byte hex thing was me just trying to be funny because that's what a private key is.
That was not the OP.

I think from the public address it's obvious this is not a brain wallet.

Ah, sorry.  There's a small chance this is real but I agree the public address is unlikely to have come from brain wallet. 
The 32-byte hex thing was me just trying to be funny because that's what a private key is.
That was not the OP.

I think from the public address it's obvious this is not a brain wallet.
Not to belabor the point but you said...

It's a 32-byte hexadecimal string.

then you also said...

As soon as I typed the last word in thats how the address looked...

Are you saying you typed in words but are giving clues to the sha256 resulting hash (i.e. what brain wallet calls the 'secret exponent') and not the passphrase itself?

If so, then your clues would give hints to each nibble/byte or some other sequence of the sha256 hex string, not the passphrase. (Can you clarify?)

So, for example, clue #3 may refer to 'DEAF'.
legendary
Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008
Nice idea Smiley

A very hard puzzle with a get-it-yourself cash reward; I hope to see them in newspapers soon. 
Activity: 89
Merit: 21
Well, you can be certain nobody will choose to fund if the hints are for free Smiley

I more useful hint would be nice though. How long is the password ?

Hi
You said that it is 32 bytes hex, and that you typed in words... which is it? Do you mean a 32 character phrase like
"hi my name is not frederickly or"
?
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
That address looks like it was generated with a vanity gen.   Is the "1Natimo" prefix intentional?

If so, I'm skeptical.  The private keys generated by brain wallet are sha256 hashes of a passphrase.  I don't see how you could come up with a passphrase that would generate a 256 bit private key which in turn would generate a public address beginning with "1Natimo".  The pass phrase would just look like random characters and have no meaning.  

I swear to GOD the passphrase was created with brainwallet mate. Thats the funny part. As soon as I typed the last word in thats how the address looked and I debated keep the address for myself!  Its a brainwallet address
Well, you can be certain nobody will choose to fund if the hints are for free Smiley

That address looks like it was generated with a vanity gen.   Is the "1Natimo" prefix intentional?

If so, I'm skeptical.  The private keys generated by brain wallet are sha256 hashes of a passphrase.  I don't see how you could come up with a passphrase that would generate a 256 bit private key which in turn would generate a public address beginning with "1Natimo".  The pass phrase would just look like random characters and have no meaning.  

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

Activity: 258
Zoinks! Its the Miner Miner Forty-Niner!
Interesting. So we pm you with our guesses?
thats fine, you dont have to fund it. I will still add a hint a day. I have no intentions of scamming anyone. I did my part and put the 1btc in. if it stays like that then so be it. irdc to be honest
Activity: 315
Basically ya'll fund the hints.

NO COINS WILL GO TO ME.

Nobody in their right mind will fund your wallet with nothing more than that assurance that you're not going to simply take the coins and run.
Yeah I understand. I honestly could care less about stealing coins in all seriousness. I have a wallet with over 200 btc... The last thing on my mind is trying to take peoples coins. But like I said you don't have to fund it to attempt to solve it. I might consider releasing one hint a day along with this just in case people don't fund it. Thanks for the feedback and advice though
Pages:
Jump to: