Pages:
Author

Topic: Lets Share Ideas of Ways to Manage Heat From Mining in a Home or Warehouse - page 4. (Read 7201 times)

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader
So here is what I currently have going on ...

31 GPU's ranging from 1070ti's to 1080ti's ... Six of them are XFX Vega 56 blower cards.  According to fan specs, we're doing 3100ish cfm on intake and exhaust in a room that is 1680 cubic feet.  There is another window in that room that I could put another intake fan in, not sure about that yet.  If I do that, I assume I'm going to need to put in another exhaust fan.  All rigs other than the vega blower card rig have a box fan behind them. 

I'm wondering if I should move the shelving unit a little closer to the exhaust, so the heat is sucked directly upwards, but the box fans are pushing hot air off of the cards in a forward motion.  Not sure how much.

Currently the room is around 7-8 degrees above the outdoor temp.  Without the exhaust fan (and with the intake and box fans), it was 15-18 degrees above the outdoor temp, so it has certainly made a big difference.   

Temps here are going to be heating up, so we will see what happens.  The next step in this project is venting all the way outside rather than into the attic. 

If anyone has any suggestions on gable vents or roof vents that have fittings for a large diameter hose, please let me know.

Yeah, I found I had to make different rooms for best efficiency possible.  A room for heat and a room for cool.  You cannot allow the heat generated by the rigs to mingle with fresh cool air.  Otherwise, it will heat up the cool fresh air before it is sucked into the fan which blows warmer air onto the rigs.  The rig gets warmer; the air coming off the rig gets warmer, the room air gets warmer; the warmer room air blows on warmer rigs to release even warmer air in a big circle like a convection oven recirculating heat.  At least this is what I determined once I got over 100 cards.  I have over 200 cards now.

No idea on who to contact for the roof vents.  Good luck.  My dad had to rig stuff up his own.
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
Another sad view of rigs sitting idol.   Angry

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
Another 77 inch wide rack is about to be setup inside here and the rigs on the 48 inch wide rack will be transferred over to it.  The 48 inch can hold eight rigs.  The 77 inch wide rack can hold 12 rigs at 3 rigs per shelf.

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
This one rack will be left alone because it is already placed where it will remain and already has a 12 box fan frame built and attached on the back of it:

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
As far as the mining room goes, everything is pretty much disconnected and getting ready for remodel to obtain better cooling for mining during the summer.  I will send a string of one image after another with a few comments.

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
Another view:  Of those two new panels I will use for the mining room.

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
Existing 200 Amp Main Distribution Panel converted into a 200 Amp Sub Panel with separated grounds and neutrals.

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
Two new panels inside the garage but closer to the garage door:

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
Sweeeeeeeet,

I see we have some posts.  I've barely had time to check my email.  My County Electrical Inspector is making my electrician replace a meter box with a new one (installed correctly).  This has held me up a bit in regards to revenue.  I've been missing out on revenue since Wednesday, Last Week.  It is now Wednesday, Next Week.

You can see an image here of the off-set they need to make it look halfway decent.  I appreciate the inspector looking out for me there so it doesn't look like crap.  However, this will instill some sneaky power connection with whips.  Simply means the downstairs is off limits to my seven year old for now.

Activity: 644
Merit: 24
If I were you, I would just split the ductwork in ceiling to create another exhaust that's over your rigs instead of moving.  Having the exhaust over your rigs can also help move more of the air towards your rigs.

Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you mean ... But why would you go to all of that trouble, when I could easily move the shelving unit a few feet to position it directly under the exhaust vent in the ceiling?
Activity: 102
Merit: 0
If I were you, I would just split the ductwork in ceiling to create another exhaust that's over your rigs instead of moving.  Having the exhaust over your rigs can also help move more of the air towards your rigs.

31 GPU's ranging from 1070ti's to 1080ti's ... Six of them are XFX Vega 56 blower cards.  According to fan specs, we're doing 3100ish cfm on intake and exhaust in a room that is 1680 cubic feet.  There is another window in that room that I could put another intake fan in, not sure about that yet.  If I do that, I assume I'm going to need to put in another exhaust fan.  All rigs other than the vega blower card rig have a box fan behind them. 

I'm wondering if I should move the shelving unit a little closer to the exhaust, so the heat is sucked directly upwards, but the box fans are pushing hot air off of the cards in a forward motion.  Not sure how much.

Currently the room is around 7-8 degrees above the outdoor temp.  Without the exhaust fan (and with the intake and box fans), it was 15-18 degrees above the outdoor temp, so it has certainly made a big difference.   

Temps here are going to be heating up, so we will see what happens.  The next step in this project is venting all the way outside rather than into the attic. 

If anyone has any suggestions on gable vents or roof vents that have fittings for a large diameter hose, please let me know.

That room looks sexy just like the OP mining set up.

If I had this set up, I would have the 2 windows with exhaust fans (attic gables fans) sucking hot air outside on boths windows and I would put that shelf with all the rigs on it right in front of it. So it would go like Cool Air--Rigs--Attics gable Fans sucking the hot air out.

I would keep the ceiling exhaust fan also just to make sure that there isn't any trapped hot air anywhere. You can never have to much exhaust. Just make sure you have a source for fresh air (does not have to be AC air but needs to be fresh)

That window fan can be used for for exhaust.  Just have to turn the knob on it to one of the exhaust settings.  I looked at attic gable fans, but I like that this one is made for a window.  Problem with using it as exhaust is I have no other source for intake, if I do that.
Activity: 76
Merit: 1

That room looks sexy just like the OP mining set up.

If I had this set up, I would have the 2 windows with exhaust fans (attic gables fans) sucking hot air outside on boths windows and I would put that shelf with all the rigs on it right in front of it. So it would go like Cool Air--Rigs--Attics gable Fans sucking the hot air out.

I would keep the ceiling exhaust fan also just to make sure that there isn't any trapped hot air anywhere. You can never have to much exhaust. Just make sure you have a source for fresh air (does not have to be AC air but needs to be fresh)

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
That's cool that you're doubling your farm size. Have you actually got room to do it?

Well, "hoping" to double it.  Will need the loan first.

I have the room in my mining room in the house to add eleven (11) more rigs.  More than that and I will have to build a shed in the back yard or lease a small warehouse.  I prefer to have a shed built out back.  I'm considering a 16 feet wide by 32 feet long by 17 feet high to be built in the back yard "IF" I can get a loan.

I may be forced to wait till this time next year by depending on profits made from mining and trading the remainder of this year.  However, the profits I make from mining and trading this year may only be enough to replace the remaining AMD rigs I have with NVIDIA rigs "WHILE" leaving my AMD rigs off-line for a few months.  Once the new year (2019) begins, I'll have to wait a few more months for profits to accumulate to build the shed out back and get a power upgrade.  Again, this is WITHOUT a loan and assuming revenue/profits from mining and trading will be similar to previous years.

Then once the shed is built and power upgrade installed, I would be able to move EVERYTHING to the shed and get the AMD rigs online.
Activity: 22
Thanks for the reply, great info there. Looks like an awesome gun you have - they are illegal in the UK (or more so, you can't shoot someone on your property) but it makes perfect sense in the US. Its a shame I'm not in the US as I'm currently looking for someone over there to potentially start up a mining data center with. I don't think I'm quite big enough to do it on my own at the moment (currently running 100 Vegas) but if two of us pooled together it would be much more achievable.

Well, [Depending on the State you live in] you have to be very careful about shooting someone on your property compared to inside your home.  They have to actually manifest threatening actions to your life in order for you to legally shoot them in your yard.  That's why I said they are "subject" to get shot.  Not that they will get shot.  If they advance towards me as if to attack me, they WILL get shot.

I'm not currently as big as I want to be in mining yet either.  I'm hoping to get a loan in the near future [Between May and July] to double my farm size at a minimum.  I'm wanting to stay alone rather than team up with someone else.  At least that's my plan currently.  If I had over $1,000,000 worth of hardware, my thoughts my change.  Otherwise, I'm staying alone for now.

100 Vegas is a nice little farm.  I know they bring in a decent amount of revenue with ETH and/or XMR.

That's cool that you're doubling your farm size. Have you actually got room to do it?
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
Thanks for the reply, great info there. Looks like an awesome gun you have - they are illegal in the UK (or more so, you can't shoot someone on your property) but it makes perfect sense in the US. Its a shame I'm not in the US as I'm currently looking for someone over there to potentially start up a mining data center with. I don't think I'm quite big enough to do it on my own at the moment (currently running 100 Vegas) but if two of us pooled together it would be much more achievable.

Well, [Depending on the State you live in] you have to be very careful about shooting someone on your property compared to inside your home.  They have to actually manifest threatening actions to your life in order for you to legally shoot them in your yard.  That's why I said they are "subject" to get shot.  Not that they will get shot.  If they advance towards me as if to attack me, they WILL get shot.

I'm not currently as big as I want to be in mining yet either.  I'm hoping to get a loan in the near future [Between May and July] to double my farm size at a minimum.  I'm wanting to stay alone rather than team up with someone else.  At least that's my plan currently.  If I had over $1,000,000 worth of hardware, my thoughts my change.  Otherwise, I'm staying alone for now.

100 Vegas is a nice little farm.  I know they bring in a decent amount of revenue with ETH and/or XMR.
Activity: 22
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
How do you like the Simpli-safe system?  My house is already wired with an alarm service, but i'm looking for something to monitor the windows I had to use has intake/exhaust ventilation.

I'm loving it!!!

Easy to set up.  Uses batteries [therefore wireless].

The base lets you know when the batteries are getting low.

The base uses cellular to communicate with simplisafe if you have them monitor it.

You'll love it if you get it.

Thanks!  Been curious since I've been seeing a ton of social media marketing on it.

Sure... You're welcome.
Activity: 102
How do you like the Simpli-safe system?  My house is already wired with an alarm service, but i'm looking for something to monitor the windows I had to use has intake/exhaust ventilation.

I'm loving it!!!

Easy to set up.  Uses batteries [therefore wireless].

The base lets you know when the batteries are getting low.

The base uses cellular to communicate with simplisafe if you have them monitor it.

You'll love it if you get it.

Thanks!  Been curious since I've been seeing a ton of social media marketing on it.
Pages:
Jump to: