Pages:
Author

Topic: Letter to the EFF - page 3. (Read 46793 times)

Activity: 482
Merit: 501
May 26, 2011, 01:35:10 AM
i think it would be interesting to contact them about it and ask....
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
May 25, 2011, 07:09:49 PM
I bet there will still be donation to the EFF after this.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Strength in numbers
May 25, 2011, 06:46:03 PM
Whoa!  Maybe they just want to set up a "submit to this address" button; what with our being able to see exactly how much they were getting.

But if the EFF turns its back on Bitcoin, I will not be happy.
more likely they not "turned back to BTC", but simply lack extra-staff to handle it.
when BTC status/flow clarified and simplified, its back, IMO.

Lol, no way. How many staff do you think it takes? Do you see all the people in this forum handling bitcoin donations? Do they all have tons of staff?
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
May 25, 2011, 06:29:18 PM
Whoa!  Maybe they just want to set up a "submit to this address" button; what with our being able to see exactly how much they were getting.

more likely they not "turned back to BTC", but simply lack extra-staff to handle it.
when BTC status/flow clarified and simplified, its back, IMO.
Activity: 407
Merit: 100
DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi
May 25, 2011, 06:16:14 PM

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
May 25, 2011, 06:15:12 PM
They might be testing our response time, to see if we are still paying attention to them.
foo
Activity: 409
Merit: 250
May 25, 2011, 06:09:33 PM
is it just me or do they no longer have bitcoins as a donation option?
Hm, that has happened within the last 6 hours, the Bitcoin address was there earlier today when I looked at the page.
N12
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010
May 25, 2011, 06:05:08 PM
They’ve received over 3k BTC if I recall correctly.

This is a shame.

This is their address, retrieved from the Google Cache.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Strength in numbers
May 25, 2011, 06:01:21 PM
Are you kidding me? Haven't they gotten like $15k worth?

I think this is from eating with politicians.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
May 25, 2011, 05:51:07 PM

Looks like they removed bitcoin as an option from their "other ways to give" page.
Activity: 334
Merit: 250
May 25, 2011, 04:47:49 PM
whoa, it does look like it was removed...wtf ?
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
May 25, 2011, 04:38:39 PM
Activity: 482
Merit: 501
March 14, 2011, 03:12:09 PM
Bitcoin get transferred out of mybitcoin anyway. You can look at the block explorer history and see for yourself.

You guys are silly beyond belief.

you seem to misunderstand how these shared wallets work. maybe that is beyond belief? Smiley
legendary
Activity: 980
March 03, 2011, 03:05:49 PM
Bitcoin get transferred out of mybitcoin anyway. You can look at the block explorer history and see for yourself.

You guys are silly beyond belief.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
March 03, 2011, 03:02:50 PM
LMGTFY, it's not likely they are transferring the coins to mybitcoin themselves. The address is a mybitcoin.com address - it happens automatically.

My belief is that the motivation behind establishing a donation box for the EFF wasn't just to help them raise money, but as a way of introducing bitcoin to the EFF, with the hope that EFF will take the time to learn how bitcoin works and become an ally in advocating it to other organizations. If they find a way report it as donation income, for example, then that would set a precedent that the rest of us could follow. Like you said ribuck, EFF has better things to do then install some software and help us debug it. But, thanks to your donations, now they have a stake in it, and an incentive to play along!

It's none of our business what they do with it, but if it's the case that they're just sitting in the account because we haven't followed up on it, then I it's appropriate for us to let them know about the alternatives. It should be a learning opportunity, I'm pretty sure that was the whole point.

All true, and all good, and I'm happy that the EFF have the opportunity to learn about bitcoins, but it still doesn't explain the need for our concern right now. If the EFF really doesn't know what to do with the bitcoins they've received, the coins will sit then and probably appreciate in value. We'll find out when the EFF release their next set of accounts, and can nudge them then. Until then, this still seems like a solution in search of a problem. Which is fine when it's our time; it's much less fine when it's the time of an over-worked campaigning organisation.
Activity: 126
Merit: 108
Andrew Miller
March 03, 2011, 02:51:16 PM
LMGTFY, it's not likely they are transferring the coins to mybitcoin themselves. The address is a mybitcoin.com address - it happens automatically.

My belief is that the motivation behind establishing a donation box for the EFF wasn't just to help them raise money, but as a way of introducing bitcoin to the EFF, with the hope that EFF will take the time to learn how bitcoin works and become an ally in advocating it to other organizations. If they find a way report it as donation income, for example, then that would set a precedent that the rest of us could follow. Like you said ribuck, EFF has better things to do then install some software and help us debug it. But, thanks to your donations, now they have a stake in it, and an incentive to play along!

It's none of our business what they do with it, but if it's the case that they're just sitting in the account because we haven't followed up on it, then I it's appropriate for us to let them know about the alternatives. It should be a learning opportunity, I'm pretty sure that was the whole point.

Activity: 644
Merit: 502
March 03, 2011, 02:32:42 PM
LMGTFY, the EFF donation address is associated with a mybitcoin.com account. All we can tell is that the coins have been collected by the wallet of mybitcoin.com. Unless EFF has been actively managing their bitcoins, they're still in the mybitcoin account.

The only way we could find out (besides logging into their account, which would be unethical) is to ask them!
So... they're receiving bitcoins at one address, they know how to transfer them to Mybitcoin, but we're assuming that they don't know that they then need to spend them? I agree with the posters above - it would be unethical to pry into their affairs. This seems like a classic case of "nothing to see here", a solution in search of a problem: it's like someone saying "I know you got paid a salary this month, but I'm concerned that once your wages were in your bank account you didn't know what to do with them. Can I peek into your bank account to check that you're spending your wages?" Hell, maybe the EFF want to save their bitcoins and spend them on something big? Is this really any of our business? EFF members have a right to find out, and I darer say they will in good time, when the EFF next release a report. But it really doesn't seem like it's any of our business.

donator
Activity: 826
Merit: 1039
March 03, 2011, 02:31:21 PM
The EFF is a registered nonprofit, that publishes annual reports (although the latest I see at their website is for 2009). If will be interesting to see if/how they report their bitcoin donations.
donator
Activity: 826
Merit: 1039
March 03, 2011, 02:27:03 PM
However, don't you think the potential to redeem a $3,000 donation is worth their time?

There's no urgency to convert the bitcoins into fiat currency. It would be cooler if they wait until they want to buy something that can be paid for directly with bitcoins.
Activity: 126
Merit: 108
Andrew Miller
March 03, 2011, 02:24:10 PM
LMGTFY, the EFF donation address is associated with a mybitcoin.com account. All we can tell is that the coins have been collected by the wallet of mybitcoin.com. Unless EFF has been actively managing their bitcoins, they're still in the mybitcoin account.

The only way we could find out (besides logging into their account, which would be unethical) is to ask them!
Pages:
Jump to: