Pages:
Author

Topic: Libertarian my ass! - page 2. (Read 9502 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423
April 09, 2013, 10:56:52 PM
Using the immoral apparatus of the state... legitimizes that system.
Can't even make it that far. By "immoral apparatus," you mean voting, and thus we're back at the beginning, begging the question.

If you were to swap some words ("Using the apparatus of the immoral state legitimizes the state"), then we'd have a non-sequitur.
OK, look at it this way: Yes, it's moral to fight against someone trying to impose their will upon you by force. But by voting, you inherently agree to the rules of the contest - rules set by the agressor. I think you can see why that might be a bad idea. When you vote, you are accepting that the state has the authority to make this decision via this method, and are submitting to the will of the majority - no matter what the outcome.

If you voted, you can't complain.
Can't we separate these actions (voting and accepting authority)? What is wrong with saying "I don't recognize your moral right to exist, and please stop existing ASAP, but while you do exist, please minimize your use of force?"
A bully wants your lunch money. Are you accepting his right to take your money by asking him not to bully you?
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
April 09, 2013, 10:35:57 PM
Can't even make it that far. By "immoral apparatus," you mean voting, and thus we're back at the beginning, begging the question.

If you were to swap some words ("Using the apparatus of the immoral state legitimizes the state"), then we'd have a non-sequitur.
OK, look at it this way: Yes, it's moral to fight against someone trying to impose their will upon you by force. But by voting, you inherently agree to the rules of the contest - rules set by the agressor. I think you can see why that might be a bad idea. When you vote, you are accepting that the state has the authority to make this decision via this method, and are submitting to the will of the majority - no matter what the outcome.

If you voted, you can't complain.
0xFB0D8D1534241423
April 09, 2013, 10:18:55 PM

April 09, 2013, 10:12:20 PM
Cut off one head, two more grow in its place.  So you attack the heart.
And... you lost me.

Perhaps Thoreau can explain it better:

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root."

Voting down bad laws = hacking at branches
Doing away with Gov't altogether = striking the root
Still can't make the jump from the above agreeable statement to "all voting is immoral." Someone please give me a nice, formal, logical if-then statement.
It's less "all voting is immoral" than "Using the immoral apparatus of the state, even with good intentions, legitimizes that system, and makes misuse more likely."

Or, to put it in slightly more geeky terms, "No, Boromir, you shouldn't use the ring, even if it is to fight Sauron."
0xFB0D8D1534241423
April 09, 2013, 10:00:12 PM
And... you lost me.

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root."

Still can't make the jump from the above agreeable statement to "all voting is immoral." Someone please give me a nice, formal, logical if-then statement.
April 09, 2013, 09:54:51 PM
And... you lost me.

0xFB0D8D1534241423
April 09, 2013, 09:49:30 PM
Way I see it, attempting to strive for the peace using a violent system is fruitless.
This statement makes sense. However, the jump from there to "no voting whatsoever" strikes me as odd. If there is a system which incorporates violence, yet allows a nonviolent vote to stop the violence, how can that vote be immoral?
With less rhetoric (actually just more words):
Consider an area where marijuana is prohibited by force. If the majority of the citizens vote to legalize marijuana (unconditionally), then nothing happens except the force stops. In this case the vote is certainly not immoral, and it might even be moral (though it probably stops short of imperative).

You're right; the force stops.  However, because the system is still in place, marijuana can just as easily be abolished once again.  Laws are never permanent, they are always changed, and they are always at another's expense. 
This much is true. Again, I agree with your first point, but fail to see what follows from it.
Voting, even against a new law, or to repeal an old one, just makes me feel dirty. It's like you're asking them to "pretty please, stop putting people in a cage for having this plant?" when the proper response to such a law is "Piss off!"

But to each his own, and if it helps stop the violence, I'm for it.
We don't actually disagree on anything meaningful (as far as I can tell). You have every right to "feel dirty," and I have the right to avoid smoking marijuana even though you may enjoy it.
To each his own opinions, and it seems we've reduced our conflict to unquantifiable opinions ("red is the best color").
April 09, 2013, 09:40:54 PM
Way I see it, attempting to strive for the peace using a violent system is fruitless.
This statement makes sense. However, the jump from there to "no voting whatsoever" strikes me as odd. If there is a system which incorporates violence, yet allows a nonviolent vote to stop the violence, how can that vote be immoral?
Consider an area where marijuana is prohibited by force. If the majority of the citizens vote to legalize marijuana (unconditionally), then nothing happens except the force stops. In this case the vote is certainly not immoral, and it might even be moral (though it probably stops short of imperative).

Voting, even against a new law, or to repeal an old one, just makes me feel dirty. It's like you're asking them to "pretty please, stop putting people in a cage for having this plant?" when the proper response to such a law is "Piss off!"

But to each his own, and if it helps stop the violence, I'm for it.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
April 09, 2013, 09:36:18 PM

You're right; the force stops.  However, because the system is still in place, marijuana can just as easily be abolished once again.  Laws are never permanent, they are always changed, and they are always at another's expense.  Politics center around one thing: rob Peter to pay Paul.  So the problem is law.  To participate in such a system is to agree that violence is the answer; even though you may not agree that violence is the best answer, you may even despise violence with all your might, by participating in violence to revoke violence temporarily, you admit that it's an acceptable form of action.  I don't believe it is.  Cut off one head, two more grow in its place.  So you attack the heart.
0xFB0D8D1534241423
April 09, 2013, 09:20:55 PM
legendary
April 09, 2013, 09:10:07 PM
Way I see it, attempting to strive for the peace using a violent system is fruitless.  By playing the game of violence, to seek any sort of peace is in vain.  Therefor, peace can only be attained by thwarting the system which, in essence, is violent.  The most peaceful statist society is always open for more violence; people are always willing to give up their freedoms if they believe it will stop the problems in their world.  But it's tragic, because all large-scale problems are caused by the system used to solve the problems.  Government is great to solve a problem after it creates a problem.
0xFB0D8D1534241423
April 09, 2013, 09:08:52 PM
force by proxy
Ah, shit. There goes my whole "vote for softer chains" idea. Although, it might still be moral to vote for a lack of force (e.g. legalizing marijuana)...?
Yeah, as long as it's not a "tax and regulate."

I prefer to simply ignore bad laws like that, myself.
Cool. Strange how much 3 words can change your outlook when you use logic and avoid being defensive.
April 09, 2013, 09:03:13 PM
force by proxy
Ah, shit. There goes my whole "vote for softer chains" idea. Although, it might still be moral to vote for a lack of force (e.g. legalizing marijuana)...?
Yeah, as long as it's not a "tax and regulate."

I prefer to simply ignore bad laws like that, myself.
0xFB0D8D1534241423
April 09, 2013, 08:54:47 PM
force by proxy
April 09, 2013, 08:35:21 PM
Hello, I'm discovering this topic. Rampion, are you European ? (I am, so I understand what you mean but…)

After that, it was used for the first time in a POLITICAL and ECONOMICAL way by Joseph Déjacque and Pierre-Joseph Proudhon as a synonym of ANARCHISM. And my friends, ANARCHISM is by definition AGAINST capitalist free market.
Yes but… read Proudhon at the end of his life, he was clearly pro-free-market, and also said «Property is freedom». You can verify. Anarchist, he was fascinated by Jean-Baptiste Say and had a long exchange with Frédéric Bastiat in the journal La Voix du Peuple. He's been very hard with Marx and his collectivism in Philosophy of Misery, I think he never did his coming-out as a «liberal» (at the european sense, libertarian in the US).

• What is the private property? By Proudhon (the famous thinker, not the famous btctalk bear Wink)
Theory of Property, same author ! Wink
I quote here from the appendices of the Illuminatus! trilogy:

APPENDIX ZAIN: PROPERTY AND PRIVILEGE

Property is theft
—P. J. PROUDHON
Property is liberty.
—P. J. PROUDHON
Property is impossible.
—P. J. PROUDHON
Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.
—RALPH WALDO EMERSON

Proudhon, by piling up his contradictions this way, was not merely being French; he was trying to
indicate that the abstraction "property" covers a variety of phenomena, some pernicious and some
beneficial. Let us borrow a device from the semanticists and examine his triad with subscripts
attached for maximum clarity.
"Property1 is theft" means that property1, created by the artificial laws of feudal, capitalist, and other
authoritarian societies, is based on armed robbery. Land titles, for instance, are clear examples of property1; swords and shot were the original coins of transaction. 

"Property2 is liberty" means that property2, that which will be voluntarily honored in a voluntary (anarchist) society, is the foundation of the liberty in that society. The more people's interests are comingled and confused, as in collectivism, the more they will be stepping on each other's toes; only when the rules of the game declare clearly "This is mine and this is thine," and the game is voluntarily accepted as worthwhile by all parties to it, can true independence be achieved.

"Property3 is impossible" means that property3 (= property1) creates so much conflict of interest that
society is in perpetual undeclared civil war and must eventually devour itself (and properties1 and
3 as well). In short, Proudhon, in his own way, foresaw the Snafu Principle. He also foresaw that communism would only perpetuate and aggravate the conflicts, and that anarchy is the only viable alternative to this chaos. 

It is not averred, of course, that property3 will come into existence only in a totally voluntary society; many forms of it already exist. The error of most alleged libertarians— especially the followers (!) of the egregious Ayn Rand— is to assume that all property1 is property2. The distinction can be made by any IQ above 70 and is absurdly simple. The test is to ask, of any title of ownership you are asked to accept or which you ask others to accept, "Would this be honored in a free society of rationalists, or does it require the armed might of a State to force people to honor it?" If it be the former, it is property? and represents liberty; if it be the latter, it is property1 and represents theft.

I think if you start with the supposition that each person owns (property2) their own body, most everything gets a "yes" to that question. Except, of course, "intellectual property." (which is property3 if ever I saw it.)
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
April 09, 2013, 08:21:17 PM
Hello, I'm discovering this topic. Rampion, are you European ? (I am, so I understand what you mean but…)

After that, it was used for the first time in a POLITICAL and ECONOMICAL way by Joseph Déjacque and Pierre-Joseph Proudhon as a synonym of ANARCHISM. And my friends, ANARCHISM is by definition AGAINST capitalist free market.
Yes but… read Proudhon at the end of his life, he was clearly pro-free-market, and also said «Property is freedom». You can verify. Anarchist, he was fascinated by Jean-Baptiste Say and had a long exchange with Frédéric Bastiat in the journal La Voix du Peuple. He's been very hard with Marx and his collectivism in Philosophy of Misery, I think he never did his coming-out as a «liberal» (at the european sense, libertarian in the US).

• What is the private property? By Proudhon (the famous thinker, not the famous btctalk bear Wink)
Theory of Property, same author ! Wink
April 09, 2013, 08:00:28 PM
Specifically, it's amazing how US folks call "libertarians"

I assure you that anarcho-capitalists exist in Europe.
Well, I think that I exist, anyway. I think so I'am Wink

Property can exist without a state - if you have land, fence and gun; then you certainly have private property.
Defense of private property is easier than offense (you can even mine your land), so private property will exist without a state.

Not that such extreme defenses would be needed in most cases.

One can argue private property doesn't exist with the state; after all, if it is my property, why am I paying the government to exist on it?  Tongue
This.

Private property can only exist in an environment where rights are respected, government, by it's very nature, violates those rights.
legendary
April 09, 2013, 07:57:53 PM

Property can exist without a state - if you have land, fence and gun; then you certainly have private property.
Defense of private property is easier than offense (you can even mine your land), so private property will exist without a state.

One can argue private property doesn't exist with the state; after all, if it is my property, why am I paying the government to exist on it?  Tongue
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
April 09, 2013, 07:36:39 PM

Activity: 9
Merit: 0
April 08, 2013, 02:00:25 PM

Is not bad to work with the tools you are given - this is even more true with Bitcoin which is a powerful tool that empowers people, freeing them from the banker's slavery. Some anti-state libertarians would still vote in local elections to a candidate that could really improve what they believe fundamentals aspects of their immediate surroundings - corect?

The anarchist's and communist's opposition to money has never been about "freeing them from the banker's slavery". It has always been about its "means of creating false values".

"4. The End of the Money Trick
Two features of capitalism are essential to its existence—the wages system and a thorough and all-reaching system of money relationships. Unfortunately men are now so used to living by money that they find it difficult to imagine life without it. Yet it should be obvious that no libertarian and equalitarian society could make use of money. Syndicalism, as well as ending the wages system, also aims at the destruction of money relationships.

Money, more than any other human product, has been the means of creating false values. We each know of persons who began by wanting money as the means to other ends, but who spent so much energy accumulating money they forgot their original aim and continued to live for money. For means become ends. Is it not obvious that the wealthy trade unions, which have collected hundreds of millions of pounds by the promise to pay strike and other benefits, are now capitalist investment trusts afraid of strikes which threaten their investments?"

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:b3QPiFzdlAcJ:libcom.org/library/principles-of-syndicalism-tom-brown+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

TL;DR Not only do you not know shit about finance, economics & reality, you don't even know shit about your own ideology.
Pages:
Jump to: