Pages:
Author

Topic: Libertarianism sucks. - page 3. (Read 5091 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
September 03, 2012, 02:12:03 AM
Reductio ad absurdum, expertly done.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
September 03, 2012, 01:50:37 AM
I believe in unicorns, too!

My favorite thing is voting.  I love it.  That's because hen you write someone's name down on a piece of paper and enough millions of people check off the box beside the name on that piece of paper, that the person who was chosen has undergone what is formally known as the "rite of purification by ballot", and that all negative aspects of their human nature that might exist have been washed away by the will of the majority, and they will only use their armies of hundreds of thousands of men with guns and free reign to use them indiscriminately, without consequence, will be the greatest, bestest thing for all of us!
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
September 03, 2012, 01:31:28 AM
People do not like libertarianism because it makes their lives harder. It does not support the view that Americans are better and more deserving of a disproportionate share of the world's resources. It does not use the state to create benefits for a specific group of people. It does not shift the costs of now onto the future. It does not allow people to use the power of the state to stop unpopular ideas, criticism, or offensive material. It does not allow the majority to enforce morality through law.

It is not a fun way of life. Imagine living someplace where the state had no moral control over actions and behaviors that do not violate the rights of others? It would be total chaos. People could enter into legal relationships with those of the same sex or people that they are related to. People could use illegal drugs. they could sell organs. Maybe they would be saying things that you find offensive.

That would be a terrible place. The state exists to serve me. I am owed everything and no one should ever do anything that offends or inconveniences me.
Pages:
Jump to: