Pages:
Author

Topic: Lightning Network Observer - page 27. (Read 13570 times)

legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
September 25, 2022, 04:38:07 PM
i doubt saylor will just want to become yet another node of the existing LN network weak policy guidelines, nor want to just make another wallet based on current LN weak policy

i think he will get developers to look at all the flaws of LN and develop another network that is a hybrid of LN but with less flaws and less ways to break pegs, less ways to create false balance and have less ways to cause liquidity bottlenecks without people having to set up multiple channels of X value each when they only want to spend X total in LN. and then have to try to shuffle funds around which causes more bottlenecks

but hey i think most people in this topic are just salivating and getting hormonally excited that someone of big name influence mentioned their brand of altnet
Activity: 882
Merit: 5834
not your keys, not your coins!
September 25, 2022, 03:41:01 PM
Lol! Not once, but even twice!
I could blame the new device I was typing in, that probably still doesn’t possess all the bitcoin related lingo, but the reality is I completely overlooked this funny typo.

Actually, you got a triple! Tongue
Hope that we will hear more on this from Micheal Taylor about this initiative.

• Having yet another firm committed at deploying huge resources on the Bitcoin Lightning development can help this process of "industrialization" of bitcoin development.  Smartest developer will be more confident about their future prospects in the LN, without being lured in some other more financialy viable (in their interest) like shitcoin development.
  • If Microistrategy is successful in developing a successful LN integration on a wide scale environment, this will massively boost LN adoption, and thus Bitcoin adoption for Bitcoin agnostic application. Strike is only an example for this: to use Bitcoin as a network, you don't need to trust bitcoin as a coin.
On-topic, though: more firms committed to Bitcoin and Lightning development is definitely great to see.
I sincerely hope we see more investments and development dollars going into Core Lightning, rather than yet another LND supporter, project which is still somehow connected with WEF and pushing weird things into / stopping great ideas from being integrated into Lightning protocol.

Regarding MicroStrategy; until now they're just a big investor in Bitcoin. I'm not sure why they're so idolized by many; their investment doesn't really help Bitcoin in any significant way. Further, in fiat world (where businesses operate), putting all your eggs in one basket is generally not a great idea. While with personal long-term savings, you may be fine with a 4 year bear market, your companies' investors may not be thrilled seeing your company value fall by 50% and stay there for years. Especially if they don't understand Bitcoin themselves (which most people generally don't).

I don't care too much about most companies, but I do believe that it makes sense for them to start working in the Bitcoin field, if they try to 'sell' this 'Bitcoin company' image and want to actually help Bitcoin instead of just buying large sums (for fiat maximization / as an investment - not to use it as P2P electronic cash, how it was originally intended..).
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 16328
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
September 25, 2022, 01:47:59 PM
Lol! Not once, but even twice!
I could blame the new device I was typing in, that probably still doesn’t possess all the bitcoin related lingo, but the reality is I completely overlooked this funny typo.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
September 25, 2022, 12:55:57 PM
I had completely missed an important statement by Micheal Taylor, as everyone was focused on the astonishing price projection (500K) he made on the very same panel.

The news is the following:

MicroStrategy, With Bitcoin's Price Depressed, Looks to Lightning to Boost Usage, Saylor Says

Micheal Taylor has announced he will leverage Microstrategy R&D to deploy products on the Lightning Network.

legendary
September 25, 2022, 11:03:16 AM
I had completely missed an important statement by Micheal Saylor, as everyone was focused on the astonishing price projection (500K) he made on the very same panel.

The news is the following:

MicroStrategy, With Bitcoin's Price Depressed, Looks to Lightning to Boost Usage, Saylor Says

Micheal Saylor has announced he will leverage Microstrategy R&D to deploy products on the Lightning Network.

This news is important for a series of reasons:

• Microstrategy will slowly transform into something very different from what they are today.

Microstrategy basically was a dead company, with no actual products, dying sales and a customer base. The "bitcoin Strategy" made me think they would have been the XXI century equivalent of Berkshire Hataway, which started as a textile company (who did know that?) and slowly transformed into a financial conglomerate.

Similarly, I thought Microstrategy would slowly lose its industrial part and become relevant only for the "financial" part of the company, with all other operations more and more irrelevant on the balance sheet.

With this news, Microstrategy makes us understand they are still focused on the industrial part: not developing generic "intelligence software" but developing software favouring the Lightning Network adoption, leveraging their expertise in programming skills and their massive R&D department.

• The involvement of such a big corporation in the Lighting Development means that they will also dramatically impact the developer scene. Long gone are the times when the Bitcoin Developers also were early adopters, meaning that they could withstand not being remunerated for their work because of the ludicrous amount of money they made with their bitcoin investment.

Today skilled developers are concerned about the food they need to put in their dishes, and remuneration is any more optional (rightly so). There already is a good series of resources, grants and sponsorships for many of them (check some of those here)

Having yet another firm committed at deploying huge resources on the Bitcoin Lightning development can help this process of "industrialization" of bitcoin development.  Smartest developer will be more confident about their future prospects in the LN, without being lured in some other more financialy viable (in their interest) like shitcoin development.
  • If Microistrategy is successful in developing a successful LN integration on a wide scale environment, this will massively boost LN adoption, and thus Bitcoin adoption for Bitcoin agnostic application. Strike is only an example for this: to use Bitcoin as a network, you don't need to trust bitcoin as a coin.

Hope that we will hear more on this from Micheal Saylor about this initiative.
legendary
Activity: 3262
Merit: 8492
icarus-cards.eu
September 17, 2022, 05:11:46 PM
the next good news regarding BTCitcoin adoption
there is not only the BTCitcoin beach in el salvador but also an island in the philippines (boracay island), where over 100 stores with lightning can be found ... maybe i should plan my next vacation there soon Grin

https://pouch.ph/bitcoinisland
legendary
September 17, 2022, 10:32:12 AM
Usual wisdom and and tech expertise from Jameson Loop:

Lightning Liquidity Management Guide

Lessons learned from running a routing node on the Lightning Network.

He tries to answer this simple question:

Ever since people started running Lightning nodes on mainnet in early 2018, some have asked the question: what is a reasonable ROI to expect for placing my capital in a routing node?

The article is dated back in August, but I read only today because of a retweet by Jameson Loop himself.
legendary
September 16, 2022, 05:29:41 PM
freshly tapped lightning beer at the btc22 conference in innsbruck/austria🍻👌

I think these Rube Goldberg machines are indeed really significative because demonstrate the improvement on the Bitcoin UX, empowered by Lightning Network.
To the average user this is really just paying with a credit card.
This is what is important for the bitcoin adoption: making life easy for the average (or sub-average) user.

legendary
icarus-cards.eu
September 16, 2022, 03:33:24 PM
freshly tapped lightning beer at the btc22 conference in innsbruck/austria🍻👌

legendary
September 08, 2022, 11:28:55 AM
A couple of other great tweets about Bitcoin:

I really cannot take a stand on this.
I don’t see  “Bitcoin as Digital Gold”, but I do see “Gold as Physical Bitcoin” as more challenging to move and more difficult to divide.
SoV and MoE functions are reunited in bitcoin because of immediate transferability and infinite divisibility.

Another tweet explains why the above chart is relevant.
Usage over the LN is rampant :

Corollary: there is the possibility to earn from fees:

Of course, careful resource management is necessary.

legendary
August 31, 2022, 08:43:28 PM

Kind of magical that it is impossible to know where the 77.6% of nodes (Tor nodes) are distributed.

It is easily possible for large parts of Asia, Africa and South America to be fully covered of nodes, just without anyo

This is the point.
This is a very precise map of the 22.4% del network.
The vast majority of the network, the one more interest in privacy, remains obfuscated.
Activity: 882
Merit: 5834
not your keys, not your coins!
August 31, 2022, 08:32:10 PM
my favorite Bitcoin explorer mempool has now integrated the lightning network. here you can now also get all details and infos about the lightning

https://mempool.space/lightning

I am really puzzled.
What does the map represent? How do they know where Lightning node are located?
Is that an educated guess? Based on which parameters?

If you click on any node on the map you'll see detailed info about the node. There's also an ip address which is enough to pinpoint the location. Wink

Kind of magical that it is impossible to know where the 77.6% of nodes (Tor nodes) are distributed.

It is easily possible for large parts of Asia, Africa and South America to be fully covered of nodes, just without anyone being able to tell.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 3150
₿uy / $ell ..oeleo ;(
August 31, 2022, 06:40:54 PM
my favorite Bitcoin explorer mempool has now integrated the lightning network. here you can now also get all details and infos about the lightning

I am really puzzled.

If you click on any node on the map you'll see detailed info about the node. There's also an ip address which is enough to pinpoint the location. Wink
legendary
August 31, 2022, 06:18:28 PM

I am really puzzled.
legendary
icarus-cards.eu
August 31, 2022, 11:33:52 AM

legendary
icarus-cards.eu
August 20, 2022, 07:43:31 AM
lightning capacity in BTC from this day Smiley
we are so early Grin Grin

legendary
August 09, 2022, 09:30:22 AM
btc = bitcoin network.. bitcoin never leaves the bitcoin network
msat. = lightning.. msats are not understood by the bitcoin network

when people make payments measured in msat where they are shown a balance in msat. they are not 'only using bitcoin'

oh and a little hint

the chivo wallet DROPPED LN and instead used a CEX exchange as the backend to the chivo wallet to AVOID using the LN flaws that hit el salvador in september-december 2021

https://gadgets360.com/cryptocurrency/news/el-salvador-chivo-wallet-app-new-relaunch-bitcoin-alphapoint-2746778

yep even el salvador hated LN flaws, failed payment. bottlenecks and blocked funds(offline hubs/channel partners)
now el salv citizens have alphapoint accounts that custodian-ise the btc. and do mysql account balance swaps internally.
yes they can still withdraw to bitcoin addresses or risk locking into LN channels some msat balance but thats has become secondary gimmicks rather the main fund store of the custodian service

it actually pays to obverse lighting with eyes wide open instead of closing eyes and selling the dream using animation and random tweets of narrow use cases that fit your confirmation bias

you can easily find one person that smiles and says they do X when they actually do Y. where as i can show a whole countries government change their systems due to issues thousands/millions of their citizens suffered with.

have a nice day.
legendary
August 09, 2022, 09:17:26 AM

and when people do get struck by LN see the flaws of LN. they come back to bitcoin and realise they should never have left bitcoin. and then they appreciate bitcoin

Of course it is an anedoctical evidence:

Living in El Salvador using bitcoin only, primarily Lightning.
In a third world state, almost bankrupt.

Looks like a success to me.
legendary
icarus-cards.eu
August 09, 2022, 04:10:12 AM

legendary
August 08, 2022, 02:22:52 PM

and when people do get struck by LN see the flaws of LN. they come back to bitcoin and realise they should never have left bitcoin. and then they appreciate bitcoin
Pages:
Jump to: