Author

Topic: Linux mining distro for the Raspberry PI - MinePeon - page 131. (Read 684877 times)

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
check /var/log/ see if there are lots of log files you can delete (few people need to look at them)

Edit: ls -orS /var/log/
The largest files will be at the bottom - if they end with a number - delete them.

Edit2: du -sch /var/cache/apt/*
Also another place to look for stuff that can be deleted (with the appropriate command)

Awesome! that worked. apparently my auth logs were huge. Also I have a btmp.1 log file that is extremely huge. Any idea, is that from ssh guard keeping track of failed login attempts?
I just googled it coz I've no specific idea what normally goes in btmp (and I think it varies from one linux to the next)
I did a failed login and it didn't effect it.
Not sure - hopefully someone else will know.
If you are still short on space, just delete btmp.1, if not, wait until someone else posts details of what's in there
(my btmp is 0 bytes so I can't tell looking in btmp)
Activity: 576
Merit: 500
check /var/log/ see if there are lots of log files you can delete (few people need to look at them)

The largest files will be at the bottom - if they end with a number - delete them.

Also another place to look for stuff that can be deleted (with the appropriate command)

Awesome! That worked. Apparently my auth logs were huge. Also I have a btmp.1 log file that is extremely huge. Any idea, is that from ssh guard keeping track of failed login attempts?
legendary

Activity: 576
Merit: 500
I was trying to change my sshd_config file in /etc/ssh/ to use a different port instead of 22, but when i do vim sshd_config, change it, then :wq it says "sshd_config" E514: write error (file system full?)

I read a few things from google and it said to type df to see space available, and this came up:
[root@minepeon ssh]# df
Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used      Available  Use%   Mounted on
rootfs           1805152     1805152            0  100%   /
/dev/root        1805152   1805152            0  100%   /
devtmpfs          214384             0    214384     0%   /dev
tmpfs             222660               0    222660     0%   /dev/shm
tmpfs             222660         24116    198544    11%  /run
tmpfs             222660               0    222660     0%   /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs             222660               0    222660     0%   /tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p1     96050    23982     72068    25%   /boot

This is on a 8GB card, so I'm not really sure what to do. Also, this is on one of your older images if that matters (I promise I will upgrade soon!). I think it is the 2013-02-17 one. Any suggestions?
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
I meant by software and not using external components.

In that case, no sorry.  3.3v or 5v only.
Activity: 262
Merit: 250
Does anybody know if it's possible to make the Pi serial port operate at 2.5V, or is it 3.3V only?

It is certainly possible (ohms law and a few resistors would do it) but without knowing exactly what your doing I hesitate to give advice (and possibly do nasty things to your Raspberry).

I meant by software and not using external components.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
CPUmining is bad for overall performance too since its cache trashing and it also introducers more lag for cgminer/etc, thats is a really bad idea...
It automatically disables when there is anything else to mine with, I was using it mainly for testing.  I assure you I never actually meant it to return bitcoins.
ok, then its fine Smiley
legendary
CPUmining is bad for overall performance too since its cache trashing and it also introducers more lag for cgminer/etc, thats is a really bad idea...

It automatically disables when there is anything else to mine with, I was using it mainly for testing.  I assure you I never actually meant it to return bitcoins.

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
Will the Pi CPU mine by default with minepeon? Mine has been sitting in a case mining for the last 3 days, not tinkered with the mining options, any danger there?

Yep, it is configured to CPU mine by default so you might want to open the case to give it a bit of air.

I have to admit though, I was pushing mine very hard to see what the tolerances were like in order to set alarms in MinePeon (over-clocked to max, with a heater running in the room) so you 'should' be fine.
legendary
Will the Pi CPU mine by default with minepeon? Mine has been sitting in a case mining for the last 3 days, not tinkered with the mining options, any danger there?

Yep, it is configured to CPU mine by default so you might want to open the case to give it a bit of air.

I have to admit though, I was pushing mine very hard to see what the tolerances were like in order to set alarms in MinePeon (over-clocked to max, with a heater running in the room) so you 'should' be fine.
legendary
My edit above - yes I seem to have been a bit slow with that (I was doing what I said below) Smiley
Edit: I'm curious to know how to get lm-sensors working.
I installed lm-sensors and i2c-tools
( yes I did https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=573101&action=diff )
i2c seems to not find any devices so I guess there's some extra device info required for whatever is in the rpi
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
Word of warning all!!!

I have been playing with the temperature sensor on the Pi (I intend to graph the temperature of the device)

After a few hours of running CPU mining in a case the temperature slowly raised until it let the blue smoke out.

My other PI that is not in a case has been CPU mining for months now and keeps a steady temperature around 40'c so I blame the poor ventilation of the cheap plastic case.

Neil

legendary
CPU mining is pointless ... ... ... and I hear destructive also Smiley

QFT!!

legendary
Does anybody know if it's possible to make the Pi serial port operate at 2.5V, or is it 3.3V only?

It is certainly possible (ohms law and a few resistors would do it) but without knowing exactly what your doing I hesitate to give advice (and possibly do nasty things to your Raspberry).
legendary
Word of warning all!!!

I have been playing with the temperature sensor on the Pi (I intend to graph the temperature of the device)

After a few hours of running CPU mining in a case the temperature slowly raised until it let the blue smoke out.

My other PI that is not in a case has been CPU mining for months now and keeps a steady temperature around 40'c so I blame the poor ventilation of the cheap plastic case.

Neil
Word of advice to all ... CPU mining has been completely removed from the cgminer 3.0.0 code - you can no longer even compile it in.
CPU mining is pointless ... ... ... and I hear destructive also Smiley

Edit: I'm curious to know how to get lm-sensors working.
I installed lm-sensors and i2c-tools
( yes I did https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=573101&action=diff )
i2c seems to not find any devices so I guess there's some extra device info required for whatever is in the rpi
Activity: 262
Merit: 250
legendary
Word of warning all!!!

Neil
legendary
Thanks for that Snoopey, I have put your post up on the wiki at http://minepeon.com/index.php/Logmein-Hamachi (feel free to go edit/add to it if you like).

When I get a change I will go through it all, test it and probably include it.

Neil
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
I'm thinking of installing hamachi on my pi to access it from anywhere (no static ip), would this cause any problems with cpu usage do you think?

I have been thinking of that too (VPN's in general actually) and it is something I have been meaning to test but just have not got around to it yet.  If you try it can you document it so I can have a play.  I have deffinatly been thinking of including something like that in the future (with web ui links) somehow.

Neil

Took me a bit of time as I'm a newbie to linux, didn't even know the difference between ubuntu and Archlinux Tongue
There's a package available here https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/logmein-hamachi/ though it is not quite ready to install. Needs to be rebuilt with a new PKGBUILD.
Original PKGBUILD: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/lo/logmein-hamachi/PKGBUILD

My new PKGBUILD (sure you could clean this up a bit more)
Code:
# Maintainer: Xavion
# Contributor: Lauri Niskanen
# Contributor: Andrea Scarpino
# Contributor: metzen

pkgname=logmein-hamachi
pkgver=2.1.0.86
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A zero-configuration VPN service"

#included armv6h below
arch=("i686" "x86_64" "arm" "armv6h")

url="https://secure.logmein.com/AU/labs/#HamachiforLinux"
license=("custom")
conflicts=("hamachi")
replaces=("hamachi")
options=("!strip")
[ "${CARCH}" == "i686" ] && filearch=x86 && sha1sums=('76ef3a15503862210eb6f07682cba02c88e68583')
[ "${CARCH}" == "x86_64" ] && filearch=x64 && sha1sums=('87d26165dcf1e695c80fcfae18ddfe1d241da2fe')
[ "${CARCH}" == "arm" ] && filearch=armel && sha1sums=('7eb1605e2f50afbaa9819d20aab02e0da70e1fb0')

# added line below
filearch=armel

source=("https://secure.logmein.com/labs/${pkgname}-${pkgver}-${filearch}.tgz")

package() {
cd "${srcdir}"/${pkgname}-${pkgver}-${filearch}

# Directories
install -d "${pkgdir}"/opt/${pkgname}/bin
install -d "${pkgdir}"/usr/bin "${pkgdir}"/etc/rc.d "${pkgdir}"/usr/lib/systemd/system
install -d "${pkgdir}"/usr/share/licenses/${pkgname}

# Files
install -m 755 hamachid "${pkgdir}"/opt/${pkgname}/bin
install -m 755 dnsup "${pkgdir}"/opt/${pkgname}/bin
install -m 755 dnsdown "${pkgdir}"/opt/${pkgname}/bin
install -m 755 uninstall.sh "${pkgdir}"/opt/${pkgname}
install -m 444 README "${pkgdir}"/opt/${pkgname}
install -m 444 LICENSE "${pkgdir}"/opt/${pkgname}
install -m 444 CHANGES "${pkgdir}"/opt/${pkgname}
ln -sf "/opt/${pkgname}/bin/hamachid" "${pkgdir}"/usr/bin/hamachi
install -m 755 "${startdir}"/sysvinit "${pkgdir}"/etc/rc.d/${pkgname}
install -m 644 "${startdir}"/systemd "${pkgdir}"/usr/lib/systemd/system/${pkgname}.service

# License
ln -sf "/opt/${pkgname}/LICENSE" "${pkgdir}"/usr/share/licenses/${pkgname}/LICENSE

I had to add in armv6h as an option or the packager threw out an error. Also added the line fileatch=armel since I was unfamiliar with the syntax above that.

Also a wiki page on the subject here which helped: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hamachi

Atm I'm happily SSHing my Pi from work so seems to be going well! No idea about CPU usage, though my 0.13MH rate hasn't changed Tongue
legendary
I'm thinking of installing hamachi on my pi to access it from anywhere (no static ip), would this cause any problems with cpu usage do you think?

I have been thinking of that too (VPN's in general actually) and it is something I have been meaning to test but just have not got around to it yet.  If you try it can you document it so I can have a play.  I have deffinatly been thinking of including something like that in the future (with web ui links) somehow.

Neil
Jump to: