Pages:
Author

Topic: Litecoin build for noobs: 3x 7950s (1.8 MH/s) in a $10 crate case - page 11. (Read 78987 times)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
Why the 8 GB of ram?  I thought LTC mining used the onboard GPU ram...

You need the equivalent amount of RAM used on the cards on the system -- it's an opencl bug

What's the bug? I ask b/c I am definitely running both BTC and LTC rigs with GPU RAM > SYS RAM
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
That's great, thanks for clearing that up, I'll buy those then.

And also, if I can ask something else, what do you think of this mobo? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128509

The price isn't bad, and the 5 PCIe don't seem bad either.

Provided it'd be a good choice, do you think a somewhat crappy CPU like an Athlon II X2 250  http://www.ebay.com/itm/121077300811?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 @3Ghz would be enough for running initially one card and up to 5 after a while? (I ordered a 1200W PSU, the Corsair AX1200)

Thanks again!
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
this one and no other, guaranteed voltage control and runs extremely cool

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667
Activity: 15
Taco, may I ask what iteration of the 7950 you're using in your rig?

I'm putting together one myself, but with all the different models with different clocks, locks, and whatnot, I am completely lost about which one would be the one to buy..

Which ones would you recommend out of these? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=7950&x=0&y=0
legendary

You need the equivalent amount of RAM used on the cards on the system -- it's an opencl bug
Activity: 65
legendary
Taco, do you have any guestimates on what's the ROI for a rig like this, or is that a question to another discussion thread?  Smiley
It took me about 3-4 months to pay off mine 6 months ago, I would suspect with the rising difficulty it will be similar.
legendary
The problem isn't the power going through the extenders, but rather through the 12v connection on the 24+4 pin cable: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/so-this-happened-burnt-mobo-pins-what-should-i-do-102890
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
.... But funny enough the rig with 4 cards is the more stable rig for some reason.  I'm curious if that will change when I add another card to "balance" things out.  Though technically it shouldn't make a difference, experience has definitely taught me otherwise!.....

Be careful MKEGuy ! I'm sure there's a good reason why it's not viable for a long term solution. Can the motherboard keep powering 4 cards like that without, eventually, burning out somewhere ?

Taco we need your wisdom Smiley

Considering how far the cards are undervolted and the power they are consuming.  The PCIe cables are capable of supplying almost all of the voltage. Feeling the extender cables there isn't even any warmth to them which means there isn't a lot of power being pushed through them.

If you are running them overvolted and such - then as a precautionary measure, by all means run powered risers.  But if a problem were going to creep up. It would have done so already.

Taco is an awesome source of information, and I"m glad you newbs have some direction to follow - but trust me when I say no one is the end all, be all of information in this segment.
Activity: 56
Taco, do you have any guestimates on what's the ROI for a rig like this, or is that a question to another discussion thread?  Smiley
Longer by the minute with difficulty skyrocketing.  All the bitcoin miners are swarming us.
Activity: 77
legendary
About to assemble my first rig. I'll call it the TacoMiner, as a tribute.

Last question : can I use a flash drive instead of the SATA HD ? I want to start with a windows system first though, I need to study up before I can use the linux command line interface.

As far as I know, no, not with Windows 7 at least.  I always use SATA HDDs.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

Last question : can I use a flash drive instead of the SATA HD ? I want to start with a windows system first though, I need to study up before I can use the linux command line interface.

No, you can't use a flash drive for installing windows. You can only do that with linux.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

Activity: 77
Awesome post, Taco, thank you!
One question though, which I'm sure other readers are wondering too: is it still worth investing ~1200 euros on LTC mining rig at this point in time? What are your thoughts on ROI? I'm sure you thought about that while writing the guide.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050
I think i'm just going to get a slightly bigger crate instead of messing around with molten plastic hahah
Activity: 112
Gonna have to try this out for LTC mining.
legendary
Just quick question if I may.

Once you have everything connected. which port do you use to reach the bios? Is it the main PCI-E slot with a hdmi or do you use the VGA socket on board?

Use HDMI or DVI from any card in a PCI-e slot

You may have to melt a hole in the side too to get USB peripherals in like keyboards or Wifi adapters (just use a cheap $5 soldering iron)
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Just quick question if I may.

Once you have everything connected. which port do you use to reach the bios? Is it the main PCI-E slot with a hdmi or do you use the VGA socket on board?

Pages:
Jump to: