Pages:
Author

Topic: Litecoin build for noobs: 3x 7950s (1.8 MH/s) in a $10 crate case - page 8. (Read 78987 times)

legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003
The cynic part of me think BTC is there to sell AMD GPU.  Tongue

naw, look at AMD stock, it's crash and burn. Believe it or not, mining is only tiny portion of AMD profits, plus most of the profit is earned by the manufacturers (msi, sapphire, gigabyte etc...). AMD makes shit margins on the chip.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006
Ok, bought 12 sapphires, and 3 of everything else. Going to add another mobo and fixing asap. So I will start running 3 rigs with 4 cards each, and will thin them to 4 rigs ASAP.
Noob questions begin here.
1. How do I run the 4 gpus off the mobo listed? Can anyone provide a link to the required extra gear or cables needed. I did upgrade the psu to 1000's already btw

2. How do I clone the harddrives for mining?

3. I got long risers which will space the gpu's no less than 6" apart in a fan like set up, space is not a concern for me. Will this provide adequate cooling space for the 4 gpu on 1 mobo set up in the beginning?

Any tips and suggestions would be great.
Thanks!

iam not sure if 4x 7950 will work stable with a 1000psu. it will depend on the corevoltage of each card.

i got 2x gigabyte7950, this version is overclocked out of the box with a locked corevoltage of 1,25. each card pulls about 320W, so 4x them would be too much for a 1000w psu

Which gigabyte GPU? I'm running 4x gigabyte 7950 windforce, on a 1200W PSU with no problem, I didn't under-volt. They each only pull 200W barely, probably less. How can a 7950 pull 320W? I hope your 7950 better mine at 1000kh or something. Though you are right, 4x7950 on a 1000W most likely will not work, since PSU only work at 80% efficiency. So that 1000W is only capable of giving you 800W actual power, 4x7950 will eat that up, leaving nearly zero power for other components.

my 850w psu pulled 1100 from the wall.

still not burnt out yet, which is good. i'm looking forward for my new psu.

in the mean time, i need to find the most efficient setting.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
The cynic part of me think BTC is there to sell AMD GPU.  Tongue
Activity: 28
I wish I had some money to buy graphics cards Sad
legendary
Ok, bought 12 sapphires, and 3 of everything else. Going to add another mobo and fixing asap. So I will start running 3 rigs with 4 cards each, and will thin them to 4 rigs ASAP.
1. How do I run the 4 gpus off the mobo listed? Can anyone provide a link to the required extra gear or cables needed. I did upgrade the psu to 1000's already btw

3. I got long risers which will space the gpu's no less than 6" apart in a fan like set up, space is not a concern for me. Will this provide adequate cooling space for the 4 gpu on 1 mobo set up in the beginning?

Thanks!

iam not sure if 4x 7950 will work stable with a 1000psu. it will depend on the corevoltage of each card.

i got 2x gigabyte7950, this version is overclocked out of the box with a locked corevoltage of 1,25. each card pulls about 320W, so 4x them would be too much for a 1000w psu

Which gigabyte GPU? I'm running 4x gigabyte 7950 windforce, on a 1200W PSU with no problem, I didn't under-volt. They each only pull 200W barely, probably less. How can a 7950 pull 320W? I hope your 7950 better mine at 1000kh or something. Though you are right, 4x7950 on a 1000W most likely will not work, since PSU only work at 80% efficiency. So that 1000W is only capable of giving you 800W actual power, 4x7950 will eat that up, leaving nearly zero power for other components.
legendary

Thanks!

flash your bios.

i did with mine, so it's no longer hitting 1.25.
i can overclock slightly more...but still kinda high.
legendary
Activity: 41
you guys mean those sapphires with 850 mhz core clock and 925 boost?
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5476/amd-radeon-7950-review/16
 Reason i went with sapphires. Load values here are during game play which requires more wattage than mining, no?

I think Sapphires undervolt slightly by default, which would explain the lower Wattage. I have to agree that Sapphire 7950s are the best cards out there right now. Good price, good cooling capacity and not voltage locked.
Activity: 48
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5476/amd-radeon-7950-review/16
 Reason i went with sapphires. Load values here are during game play which requires more wattage than mining, no? Therefore i believe it will be fine mining, close but a-ok. Specs are legit and trixx is a sweet utility.
1x -> 16x sounds to be the solution on the 4. I know I can run 4 on each mobo and as stated it is for the short term as I will be thinning them to 3 per mobo on my next purchase of 12 sapphires.
Anyone on cloning my hdds?
pro
Activity: 138
Merit: 100

Thanks!

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
Trying to stay out of here because I have lots of work to do, but I want to make a note on power consumption

I get 1.8 MHs on a 3x 7950 rig at 625 wh (Gold 850w PSU) and 2.1 MH/s on a 7970 rig at 900 wh (Silver 1 kW PSU)

So again I can only really recommend 7950s.  I don't know why the 7970 power draw is so much higher, but it is.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
I <3 VW Beetles
could you extimate the expense of this configuration with 1300W of power for 24h/24 Huh

at the moment i pay 0,16 €/ KWh
Wow thats cheap electricity, here in the NL its mostly 30 cents (euro), we have a special contract at 23 cents..
Activity: 89
Hi can anyone tell me what is bets software config??
Which windows? (my friend told me that it should be runned at win 64-bit only)
and what other soft is needet there just for mining?
Thanks
Activity: 48

Thanks!
Activity: 41
are there ways to mine without losing the graphics card's 2 year warranty?
I've heard the Asus Radeon HD7950-DC2T-3GD5-V2 can be turned to 1200/1575 with the standard ATI driver which should be fine. I don't now about the voltage though. How about the Twin Frozrs you posted? Is there any chance to buy new ones and use them in such a way that they could be replaced by warranty, or is this generally impossible with mining?
Activity: 98
Do you use powered risers? Or do those cards come with 8pin power connector?

No to both. It works fine for me, very stable. If the motherboard dies, so be it... I would probably have thrown it away anyway.
legendary
.... But funny enough the rig with 4 cards is the more stable rig for some reason.  I'm curious if that will change when I add another card to "balance" things out.  Though technically it shouldn't make a difference, experience has definitely taught me otherwise!.....

Be careful MKEGuy ! I'm sure there's a good reason why it's not viable for a long term solution. Can the motherboard keep powering 4 cards like that without, eventually, burning out somewhere ?

Taco we need your wisdom Smiley
Yes... be careful...
I have burnt 2 motherboards doing something like that back in bitcoin days.
for 3x GPU, it might be fine, but for 4x... you are really upping your chance to burn the mobo.
What 7950 cards do you have on there?
It seems that diff cards pull diff watts from the pci-e slot. I've had problem getting 2x gigabyte to work together, but no issues with 2x HIS, and this is on the same mobo.

That's true, I had two gigabyte mobo and two msi mobo, all runing 4X 5830, both gigabyte mobo burned in a month, and the two msi mobo still running like a champ after 2 years. These mobo were similarly priced.
legendary
.... But funny enough the rig with 4 cards is the more stable rig for some reason.  I'm curious if that will change when I add another card to "balance" things out.  Though technically it shouldn't make a difference, experience has definitely taught me otherwise!.....

Be careful MKEGuy ! I'm sure there's a good reason why it's not viable for a long term solution. Can the motherboard keep powering 4 cards like that without, eventually, burning out somewhere ?

Yes... be careful...
for 3x GPU, it might be fine, but for 4x... you are really upping your chance to burn the mobo.
It seems that diff cards pull diff watts from the pci-e slot. I've had problem getting 2x gigabyte to work together, but no issues with 2x HIS, and this is on the same mobo.
that's why you buy quality stuff.

had one running power hungry 4x 5830 for almost a year, didn't burn out..luckily.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

Yes... be careful...
Pages:
Jump to: