Pages:
Author

Topic: Long term argument for bitcoin - page 24. (Read 5936 times)

Activity: 2982
Merit: 790
June 28, 2017, 04:03:18 AM
Hello,

Most of you are confident with the long term for Bitcoin. Yet some altcoins has the same features so why are you so confident about bitcoin and not about litecoin instead?

I compared them and approximatevily the same assets!
The only difference is that bitcoin was the first, is it that important?
As a human being we would really normally go for the first and bitcoin isnt only the first but yet a crypto that last already 8 years and we did already witnessed its journey all over the years have passed and yet its still kicking and becomes more valuable and its really normal for people to choose whose stronger compared to alts we can say that they do have some similarities but no alt could able to equal on bitcoins progress.
Activity: 532
Merit: 501
June 28, 2017, 03:55:36 AM
Hello,

Most of you are confident with the long term for Bitcoin. Yet some altcoins has the same features so why are you so confident about bitcoin and not about litecoin instead?

Currently, Bitcoin is the best and most popular cryptocurrency. That is because it is the most widely used and accepted. That isn't something that you can say about basically any other cryptocurrency out there. However, that doesn't mean that it will forever be the most widely use and accepted currency. I definitely believe that some altcoin will overtake it and for that reason, I don't keep all my money in Bitcoin and instead invest into altcoins such as Ethereum, Dash and Monero. I don't see Litecoin as a good investment, but that is just my opinion.

Also, being the first cryptocurrency doesn't mean anything and it could easily be overtaken at anytime.
Activity: 1680
Merit: 535
Bitcoin- in bullish time
June 28, 2017, 03:25:34 AM
Hello,

Litecoin is just a back up for me and yes i do invest in litecoin too and i am confident in long term both bitcoin and also litecoin but the secret for this choosing method is the popularity and the community as well as the market capitalization of a coin so if the coin has a high market capitalization then it is more like has more chance to pump rather than other coins.
Activity: 798
Merit: 255
June 28, 2017, 03:17:53 AM
Hello,

Maybe your right that bitcoin and litecoin almost have the same attributes or same assets, and that is an important factor. But bitcoin is more known or popular and more subscribed cryptocurrency and it really have many achievements more than litecoin.
Activity: 644
Merit: 501
June 28, 2017, 03:11:51 AM
Hello,

The argument of altcoins being superior to bitcoin does not really work at all - as you said, bitcoin was the first. All altcoins are essentially based off bitcoin no matter how distant they seem to be apart from bitcoin, and a lot of them fail to recognize this fact and keep focusing on how superior their techonolgy is.

Altcoins can be great short term bets, sure, but definitely not long term.

Litecoin used to be the next big thing, remember? But now, it's behind Ethereum and Ripple. The argument of altcoins being better than bitcoin in the long term is the same as platinum/palladium being superior than gold/silver. It might be rarer and be able to used in many more applications, but there is no trust in them as monetary mediums.
Activity: 952
Merit: 500
June 28, 2017, 02:01:21 AM
The main reason is that bitcoin has been tested universally in different conditions in different volumes.More over,it has gained trust all over the world which is very much difficult to gain even without government support.No body wants to take any more risks as they are already satisfied with features bitcoin has provided them like low transaction fee,decentralized nature,instant transfer to any parts of the world.Only if they find a major problem with bitcoin,they would think of using another altcoin.
Activity: 966
Merit: 507
June 27, 2017, 08:46:52 PM
Much has been said that perhaps there are many altcoins similar to bitcoin, and there are some others who claim that there are new altcoins with better features than bitcoin, but without doubt the benefit of being the pioneer and the best positioned as well-recognized brand around the world  only belongs to bitcoin. It is something very similar to what happens with fiat currencies. Perhaps the Swiss Franc or the Japanese Yen have better support than the American dollar, but they will never be able to displace it as the most popular and best accepted currency in the world.
Activity: 672
Merit: 253
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
June 27, 2017, 08:17:43 PM
I think bitcoin will last for a long time, why I say so think about it myself, how long bitcoin known, of course we can judge that bitcoin can still be stable until now, so why should we doubt
Activity: 798
Merit: 506
June 27, 2017, 07:59:31 PM
Hello,

Yes it is one of many important things, all other altcoins created in order to catch up with bitcoin.
People familiar with bitcoin, they trust to put Million of dollars into bitcoin which make it rise.
The idea of decentralized digital currency as an alternative, separate from bank or government systems.
Another factor is the highest price of bitcoin, been around for years and used for many purpose besides trading.
Activity: 90
Merit: 10
June 27, 2017, 07:46:19 PM
Hello,

Also the fact that litecoin doesn't really offer much above what bitcoin already does. Being first is an advantage but a coins success depends also on what it offers and litecoin could overtake bitcoin if it really offered something substancial that bitcoin couldn't or wouldn't do.

At the end of the day its more or less a clone and it can't be as successful as a clone that started up second.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
June 27, 2017, 07:38:41 PM
Hello,

I think being the first has its perks and others is just an alternative. Some may have copied bitcoin design and improved it a lot but bitcoin has already established and became the dominant crypto's ever. Of course, people will also go for the original and not the copy cat or shall we shall fake. And now the prices is so high that not even one single copy cat coin can ever matched it. Well some have tried, but the flippening did not happen.
exactly, people always looking for the original and original always better than the copy cat, that's the reason why people prefer to choose bitcoin as a long term investment instead of investing on litecoin. litecoin might be better than bitcoin if it can offering something different feature that community need like other altcoins did, now litecoin is a good alternative for sending small amount since bitcoin isn't suited for small transaction.
Activity: 206
Merit: 100
June 27, 2017, 07:19:52 PM
Hello,

Are litecoin and bitcoin the same assets? The only difference is the date of establishment? Oh my god, the most weird statement I've heard in bitcointalk forum so far.

Bitcoin has a community and demand dude! Litecoin not.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 1153
June 27, 2017, 06:56:51 PM
Im more confident in bitcoin because of one thing, adoption.  Bitcoin being the first mover to decentralized blockchain had cater most of the people that is involved in cryptocurrency plus the number of developers commiting and proposing ideas on its github.  Meaning there are lots of supporters to bitcoin that some altcoin is missing.  The adoption of some nation to acknowledge bitcoin as money or legal tenders is another thing.
Activity: 338
Merit: 250
June 27, 2017, 06:20:57 PM
Hello,

If viewed from the side it is true so, but this time we see bitcoin with limited stock only 21 million course, surely its value will rise high for long term, but unlike other appliance most of the stock that lot more than 21 million coin even some Can be added again, this is what makes the difference between bitcoin and altcoin for the long term, therefore I still believe the bitcoin in the future
Activity: 1022
Merit: 564
Need some spare btc for a new PC
June 27, 2017, 05:03:46 PM
Hello,

Well yes but how many bigger companies and businesses you know that have adopted alt-coin instead of a bitcoin? Bitcoin has the great advantage in the means of marketing and widespread adoption.
Activity: 826
Merit: 265
June 27, 2017, 04:36:55 PM
Hello,

I think being the first has its perks and others is just an alternative. Some may have copied bitcoin design and improved it a lot but bitcoin has already established and became the dominant crypto's ever. Of course, people will also go for the original and not the copy cat or shall we shall fake. And now the prices is so high that not even one single copy cat coin can ever matched it. Well some have tried, but the flippening did not happen.
Activity: 490
Merit: 256
June 27, 2017, 04:18:00 PM
Hello,

Yes, some altcoins may be similar to Bitcoin when it comes with the long term investment. However, we are talking about investment here and just saying they are the same would mean that engaging in either of them will give the same end result. The major factor here would be the trust of the community. Many have trusted Bitcoin up until now in contrast with Litecoin. So people will definitely prefer Bitcoin who established strong trust with the people over litecoin.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
June 27, 2017, 04:00:29 PM

You did compare both litecoin and bitcoin and even you found some difference and that is all it needed to make the entire difference on how people accept bitcoin and litecoin ,litecoin is simply a clone of bitcoin .
Activity: 1106
Merit: 637
June 27, 2017, 03:57:54 PM

Great question.

First, while Litecoin is an altcoin, all altcoins are not Litecoin (or Bitcoin obviously). Litecoin is likely the most viable currency and store of value alternative to Bitcoin. Most of the other altcoins are just copy cats or attempts for a very few people to get rich of a pump and dump initial coin offering.

Please not that Ethereum isn't a monetary currency or coin, so it doesn't fit into the category of alt coins discussed above.

Here's an article on the specific differences between Bitcoin and Litecoin: http://www.coindesk.com/information/comparing-litecoin-bitcoin/

Some of the data is a bit stale based on the time of the article, but core differences Litecoin has are:
  • Ability to handle larger transactions
  • Faster block reward time, every 2.5 minutes rather than 10 minutes for Bitcoin
  • Merchants don't have to wait as long to confirm transactions
  • The proof of work algorithm approach is different

I'm sure others have more differences.

One other thing to consider as a benefit to Litecoin as an investment is that it has not see the appreciation or adoption that has been seen by Bitcoin. Litecoin will have 4 times as many coins as Bitcoin, so the theory is (based purely on if demand becomes equal to that of Bitcoin) the price of Litecoin could achieve 1/4 that of Bitcoin.
Activity: 924
Merit: 506
June 27, 2017, 03:47:58 PM
Seems like you are really a noob OP, they first need to accumulate enough LTC and then the price will start to rise to half of the bitcoin's price, Litecoin is literally the duplicate of bitcoin with algorithm and total supply/ block time and size being the exceptions. just wait a few more years for miners to mine most of the coins and then they will pump it no worries.
Pages:
Jump to: