Pages:
Author

Topic: Look, you guys win. I admit I like Rand. - page 4. (Read 5976 times)

Activity: 88
Merit: 10
September 14, 2012, 08:51:33 AM
They may not follow them to the letter, just like some Christians/Jews/Muslim follow the teachings of 'god' to a varying level, that does not deter from the fact that their whole ideology is heavily influenced by said teachings.

Im not sure if your trying to imply that because Rand disliked American politics and politicians there for her work has had no bearing on whats happened politically in the last 30 to 40 years in good ole 'Merica? If so, thats nonsense im afraid, if America isnt the very personification of greed and self interest, sorry self rationalism, then I dont know what is.

Activity: 56
Merit: 1
September 14, 2012, 06:50:19 AM
Ayn Rand is a vile character and the fact her philosophical "teachings" (if you want to call them that) have found growing support, especially with the neo-cons only sheds light on what a bunch of cnuts they really are. Roll Eyes

They don't follow said "teachings" very well especially in their support of social conservatism. Ayn Rand hated modern American politics and politicians for a reason.
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
September 14, 2012, 06:16:22 AM
Ayn Rand is a vile character and the fact her philosophical "teachings" (if you want to call them that) have found growing support, especially with the neo-cons only sheds light on what a bunch of cnuts they really are. Roll Eyes

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
September 13, 2012, 09:28:22 PM
A=A.

Seems like a logical starting point to me.
She was correct in her choice of methodology, that ethics should be derived from logically consistent principles, but her derivation contained errors. Fortunately other people have improved on her work.

Most notably Stefan Molyneux. (If you haven't read this yet, Atlas, stop EVERYTHING and read it right now.) He corrects every error Rand made in her derivation.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
September 13, 2012, 05:50:14 PM
A=A.

She was correct in her choice of methodology, that ethics should be derived from logically consistent principles, but her derivation contained errors. Fortunately other people have improved on her work.
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
September 13, 2012, 03:50:08 PM
Wow, I thought they weren't even going to bother with that installment, seeing that the first one flopped like a flaccid, um, something.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/04/atlas-shrugged-producer-critics-you-won-hes-going-on-strike.html
donator
Activity: 853
Merit: 1000
September 13, 2012, 03:36:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2VzdkXm5Ies#t=18s

Seeing this encounter, I can't help but see the similar value system especially in the regards of discussion and debate.

In this video, Rand mentions she was there to answer questions and to share information -- not to be judged.

Have you seen this?

http://www.atlasshruggedmovie.com/

Smiley
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
September 13, 2012, 03:30:01 PM
A=A.

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
September 12, 2012, 11:48:37 AM
Rand did a lot of good work, but her ethical system runs afoul of David Hume's is-ought dichotomy. The "nature of man" can be used to derive description of how men do behave; it can not derive how men should behave.

There exists no abstract, collective "mankind" that can be used to derive principles either, as in saying, "that which is good for mankind is good for individuals". Only individuals exist to derive principles from so violence might be what's good for my survival, and it would be impossible in that case for Objectivism to explain why I shouldn't use violence.
September 12, 2012, 11:36:18 AM
Oh, that's right. You're in New York. So, remind me? Dafuq you care about the West Bank and the Gaza strip?

New York is an interesting place. 50% of russian girls you meet here are probably jewish. 5% of them are Ayn Rand fanatics and 50% are pretty hardcore zionists.

So? Date Asian chicks. I hear they're pretty hot.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
September 12, 2012, 10:55:33 AM
Dafuq you care about the West Bank and the Gaza strip?

They're the Lost Boroughs.
Activity: 574
September 12, 2012, 10:54:56 AM
Oh, that's right. You're in New York. So, remind me? Dafuq you care about the West Bank and the Gaza strip?

New York is an interesting place. 50% of russian girls you meet here are probably jewish. 5% of them are Ayn Rand fanatics and 50% are pretty hardcore zionists.

September 12, 2012, 10:51:17 AM
Vampire, do you live in the area you're discussing?

Do I need to answer that? Seriously, you know where I live.

Well, yes, but "in my heart" doesn't really place you on a map. Wink

September 12, 2012, 10:48:08 AM

Do I need to answer that? Seriously, you know where I live.

September 12, 2012, 10:46:55 AM
I suggested giving them more land on the Gaza Strip and discontinue the gradual seizing of said lands. However, it seems the end goal is to just move them out completely.
Says like a real zionist: kick the arabs out of west bank on premises of more lands in gaza, and then push them out to the sea.

September 12, 2012, 10:42:28 AM
I suggested giving them more land on the Gaza Strip and discontinue the gradual seizing of said lands. However, it seems the end goal is to just move them out completely.

Says like a real zionist: kick the arabs out of west bank on premises of more lands in gaza, and then push them out to the sea.
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
September 12, 2012, 10:40:56 AM
I apologize for not being the Stormfront proponent you want me to be.

You can't make a coherent argument so far. So what was your solution about Palestinians? Oh wait, you just bitch.

I suggested giving them more land on the Gaza Strip and discontinue the gradual seizing of said lands. However, it seems the end goal is to just move them out completely. We can't expect them not to be upset.
September 12, 2012, 10:38:34 AM

LMAO... thanks, Atlas. This is why I'm glad you stuck around.
September 12, 2012, 10:37:04 AM

You can't make a coherent argument so far. So what was your solution about Palestinians? Oh wait, you just bitch.
September 12, 2012, 10:36:00 AM
Wait, Rand was a member of Mossad?

Maybe he's just capable of separating one of her opinions from another, unrelated one.

Um um you mean that she wanted to wipe out all arabs because they were savages?

Pages:
Jump to: