Pages:
Author

Topic: Looking for a way to add extra security - page 3. (Read 478 times)

legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 4085
Farewell o_e_l_e_o
March 28, 2022, 04:25:02 AM
Guys is it safe to write down recovery phrases in a .doc file and use WinZip or Winrar to compress and add strong password to the file? I don't know if this is stupid or smart.
Basically, you should not store your back up on digital devices. It is worse if you connect those devices to the Internet too often.

Better methods are
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 4265
✿♥‿♥✿
March 28, 2022, 03:50:32 AM
I always thought that people like to be very paranoid about their bitcoins.  I agree that you need to worry about the storage of your code phrase and engrave it on some solid metal if a person has really big money. But I do not believe that everyone here is rich, so everyone needs to drip out their keys on uninhabited islands.
Enough for a few flash drives, or, just a record that will not fade with time.
There is a good saying that 99% of things that we worry about, most of them never happen.
Do not fuss, but just be careful.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 3845
Paldo.io 🤖
March 28, 2022, 03:27:31 AM
Only do that if you know how to do it on an air-gapped device; like on this[1] guide by Sowik. If not, stay away from digital recovery phrase storage 100%.

[1] https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/guide-secure-air-gapped-crypto-wallet-storage-method-2828437
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1321
CoinPoker.com
March 28, 2022, 02:41:18 AM
Guys is it safe to write down recovery phrases in a .doc file and use WinZip or Winrar to compress and add strong password to the file? I don't know if this is stupid or smart.
Everything that input on a computer is prone to brute force attack even though we are careful. But securing it on a piece of paper and laminated it then stored to a safe keep in your place would prevent you from being hacked by others. Provided you keep it safely on your house without possible wet encountered or any  that might damage the copy of your seed phrase.
Activity: 1554
Merit: 814
The Alliance Of Bitcointalk Translators - ENG>POR
March 28, 2022, 01:58:09 AM
No problem, no need to apologize for asking this question.

So I would like to share with you what little knowledge I have on this subject.

I believe this is not the best way to store your seeds. Because I believe that there is a possibility of someone breaking the password using brute force, NSIS or something like that.

Some tips I'd like to share

Use 2 or more wallets to fractionate and store your crypto assets, so if you lose your seed or suffer a phishing, your loss will be limited.

Try to store 15 or 20 of the seeds on some paper, and the rest of the seed, try to store it somewhere different, like a tattoo (I know this is weird, but some time ago I saw that someone did this)

Buy a cryptosteel plate, store your seeds there, and bury it somewhere

If you are interested in wanting to store your seeds on a computer, I advise you to use a computer that does not have internet access and you do not use that PC much.

I hope I was helpfull!
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 2017
March 28, 2022, 01:51:34 AM
This would have been better if you had asked this question on a technical board but I will report the thread to you so that it can be moved.

I would not recommend it, unless when you create the document and compress it, you do it offline and you are 100% sure that you don't have any virus or anything on your PC.

Also, how are you going to save the strong password? Written down? For that I think you better save the written seeds in a secure physical location and that's it.

Activity: 109
Merit: 20
March 28, 2022, 01:38:45 AM
Pages:
Jump to: