Pages:
Author

Topic: LOTS of connection problems for everyone! - page 5. (Read 11531 times)

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
I made a transaction a few hours ago with .01 fee and it is 0/unc, not in any block in blockexplorer and not in the list of unconfirmed tx at bitcoincharts. I did not look to see if I had connections at the time I sent it. I am bouncing between 1 and 2 connections now. I'm guessing that I had none or a dead end when I sent and no one has heard about my tx, is that probably what happened? It will rebroadcast forever, right?

edit: Already in the unconfirmed list. I have 3 connections now. I should mention that I did restart the computer and didn't turn Bitcoin on right away so this didn't really take several hours, not sure exactly how long, but at least 15 minutes after I got the computer back on.
Activity: 126
Merit: 101
On Tor network you won't have as many connections as on the normal Internet because there simply aren't that many peers
Activity: 533
Merit: 500
^Bitcoin Library of Congress.
I have a nice shiny 114 connections. Huh

What did you change to allow you to get more than eight connections?

Open the 8333 port

How do I do that while going through TOR? Huh
Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Open the 8333 port
Activity: 533
Merit: 500
^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

Activity: 504
Merit: 504
PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D
will i have to launch that command line each time i want to open the client for now?

if you use terminal app only to start bitcoin.app then all you need to do is hit the "up" arrow
and it will display the command (from the terminal history file) and just press enter.

the up arrow is a cool idea except that i have to enter "cd desktop" first.

i'm quite sure you don't need to do cd desktop. just type the whole path to bitcoin executable first followed by the -addnode part
as a one line command. worked for me this way (open terminal, hit arrow up & enter)
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
will i have to launch that command line each time i want to open the client for now?

if you use terminal app only to start bitcoin.app then all you need to do is hit the "up" arrow
and it will display the command (from the terminal history file) and just press enter.

if you use terminal app for a bunch of other stuff, you might want to press Ctrl - R first
and then type bitc or any other unique string from the bitcoin start command. Ctrl - R starts
search in your terminal history and will save you the arrow up/down browsing.

i'd like to know what has changed in bitcoin network that 'prevents' mac client app to connect
i'd guess it's the random irc channel

the up arrow is a cool idea except that i have to enter "cd desktop" first.

if you use terminal app for a bunch of other stuff, you might want to press Ctrl - R first
and then type bitc or any other unique string from the bitcoin start command. Ctrl - R starts
search in your terminal history and will save you the arrow up/down browsing.

i'd like to know what has changed in bitcoin network that 'prevents' mac client app to connect
i'd guess it's the random irc channel
Activity: 103
Merit: 10
This is what I've done to use fallback nodes on the mac client.  I have bitcoin.app on my desktop and then I just run this terminal command:

bitcoin.app/contents/macos/bitcoin -addnode=69.164.218.197 -addnode=64.22.103.150 -addnode=173.242.112.53 -addnode=178.79.147.99 -addnode=184.106.111.41 -addnode=91.85.220.84 -addnode=173.224.125.222

That connects to 6 fallback nodes, all of which seem to be working.

is client running when u execute terminal command?
i see "username$" in terminal.  do i copy and paste your commands to the end of this and hit Enter?

The client is not running when I execute that command.  That command starts the client and connects it to the fallback addresses you see in the command line.  If, in terminal, you're already in the directory where bitcoin.app resides, then, yes, you can simply copy and paste that into the terminal.  Otherwise, you need to use 'cd' to move to the directory where bitcoin.app resides.  For simplicity, you could just move bitcoin.app to the desktop, open terminal and type 'cd desktop', then copy and paste the stuff I posted, hit enter, and your client should start and almost instantly have a few connections and start downloading blocks.

Works great, thanks.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
This is what I've done to use fallback nodes on the mac client.  I have bitcoin.app on my desktop and then I just run this terminal command:

bitcoin.app/contents/macos/bitcoin -addnode=69.164.218.197 -addnode=64.22.103.150 -addnode=173.242.112.53 -addnode=178.79.147.99 -addnode=184.106.111.41 -addnode=91.85.220.84 -addnode=173.224.125.222

i see "username$" in terminal.  do i copy and paste your commands to the end of this and hit Enter?

The client is not running when I execute that command.  That command starts the client and connects it to the fallback addresses you see in the command line.  If, in terminal, you're already in the directory where bitcoin.app resides, then, yes, you can simply copy and paste that into the terminal.  Otherwise, you need to use 'cd' to move to the directory where bitcoin.app resides.  For simplicity, you could just move bitcoin.app to the desktop, open terminal and type 'cd desktop', then copy and paste the stuff I posted, hit enter, and your client should start and almost instantly have a few connections and start downloading blocks.

proudhon:  i like to run apps from my dock.  is there a way to put Terminal on the dock AND get the above command string to automatically run with one click?

There's probably a way, but I don't know it.  Also, I guess those fallback nodes are swamped because today even running the commands I posted earlier my client either isn't updating blocks at all or is doing so VERY slowly.  This is very frustrating.
legendary

proudhon:  i like to run apps from my dock.  is there a way to put Terminal on the dock AND get the above command string to automatically run with one click?
Activity: 247
Merit: 252
I have an old client (0.3.15) running all time and lately I noticed lower number of connections too. (I don't want to make up a number but I guess default was Cool, at the moment I have 5 connections, and yesterday it was just 1.
legendary

thanks.  that worked well.  immediate 6 connections and block update!  NOW, what r the long term implications of connecting this way?
the nodes we use as values in -addnode= will get a bit more traffic. as long as they're up & running, we should be able to connect
legendary

thanks.  that worked well.  immediate 6 connections and block update!  NOW, what r the long term implications of connecting this way?
Activity: 4
Merit: 0

hi, this command would start the bitcoin app. so all you need is to open terminal and maybe type this one first:
cd /Application
 followed by
Bitcoin.app/contents/macos/bitcoin -addnode=69.164.218.197 -addnode=64.22.103.150 -addnode=173.242.112.53 -addnode=178.79.147.99 -addnode=184.106.111.41 -addnode=91.85.220.84 -addnode=173.224.125.222

This, kind of, worked for me, running the mac client 0.3.21, I have connections to two-three nodes although the test transactions from bitcoin faucet are not showing up yet. Also it ran bitcoin in a strange way, I thought it was in the terminal but when quitting terminal it kept bitcoin running but not in the dock, I had to kill it from activity monitor.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
One of my Windows 7 clients took at least 30-45 minutes before finding any connections at all. My other client used to have a lot but as of its upgrade yesterday it tends to settle down to like 5-6 connections total.

Not sure what the hiccup is here.
This is what I've done to use fallback nodes on the mac client.
Thanks a lot! I had to switch back to windows netbook with a 0.3.21 bitcoin client to send payments.

hi, this command would start the bitcoin app. so all you need is to open terminal and maybe type this one first:
cd /Application
 followed by
Bitcoin.app/contents/macos/bitcoin -addnode=69.164.218.197 -addnode=64.22.103.150 -addnode=173.242.112.53 -addnode=178.79.147.99 -addnode=184.106.111.41 -addnode=91.85.220.84 -addnode=173.224.125.222

it might fail because of Capital vs small letters. Just reply here or PM me with what does the terminal write to you.
Basically you only need to type right the first character and hit tab button to let Mac autocomplete the folder or file name and copy only the addnode part

I was so helpless yesterday that i tried tunneling through a server in another country to find out if my isp does not block bitcoin packets. but when the win client started working i assumed it might be just the random irc channel bootstrapping or other minor defect in the network.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

legendary

Pages:
Jump to: