Pages:
Author

Topic: Marriage, be strict, or be out of it. - page 2. (Read 2009 times)

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
October 26, 2012, 04:54:52 PM
Was married once, followed example #3, wife left because I was unable to shower her with lavish gifts on a regular basis. Now my longtime GF and I are following example #1. No intentions of a "marriage", we have an adult partnership with children.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
October 26, 2012, 04:47:01 PM
Not planning to marry anyway due to tax penalties. There will be a private agreement. I am not a fan of diamonds - trying to get away with a CZ. The difference will cover some of the gf's student loans.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Web Programmer, Gamer
October 26, 2012, 04:43:47 PM
I believe marriage laws there are two correct approaches:

One, is have no marriage laws at all and allow people create their own contracts in any way they wish, including contracts that result in one party being slave to other (if the "slave" party is voluntary).

+1..definitely the first one.

Marriage seems so complicated, and here in US women wants to get married just so they can have money and do taxes together.  Shocked
We should have a choice what kind of marriage we want to have.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
October 26, 2012, 04:38:40 PM
inb4 flamewar.

That said, I'm a first option kinda guy, let people contract however they want (and in whatever arrangements they want).
Activity: 966
Merit: 501
PredX - AI-Powered Prediction Market
October 26, 2012, 04:22:40 PM
I believe marriage laws there are two correct approaches:

One, is have no marriage laws at all and allow people create their own contracts in any way they wish, including contracts that result in one party being slave to other (if the "slave" party is voluntary).

I believe in such structure, eventually the most efficient forms of family structures would win agains the less efficient forms.

The second... is the one that was implemented in many societies that started as the former option: Have a very strict marriage structure: Men marry who they want, as long they don't dump women (giving them security), and women cannot leave the marriage (ensuring a men investment is not lost). Adultery is strictly forbidden and harshly punished.

When you have a structure that has laws, but they are sub-optimal, you end with stuff like ours society and its very low marriage and birth rates, high divorce rates, high single mother rates and so on.

I took Brazil 2010 census data, and found out that 50% of people born since 1968 live in homes without the father or stepfather. And the other 50% the men at home is not necessarily the father (the way they collected the data make impossible to know if the guy is father or stepfather).

It is kinda worrying a society like this, there are plenty of data that proves that having at least both parents at home is much better.
Pages:
Jump to: