Pages:
Author

Topic: Massive loss 40% underwater - page 8. (Read 1257 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 250
April 19, 2018, 07:15:13 PM
Got in at the height of Jan this year and all holdings lost more than half from the previous peak.

Very frustrated and was afraid that crypto will be zeroed out, so sold at massive loss more than 50%+ realized loss

After sold last week, all coins came back up 10-20%, even more frustrated, what to do?

40% loss is not a small one its really a big loss and I think should be taking some break from the trading market so that you get recovered from the loss both physically & mentally.But I think the major reason behind your loss is that you didn't plan your trades well and you didn't use a right & major stop loss to your trades in order to protect your capital and because of all that the loss has incurred.Now there is no point in seeing the coins recovering from the bottom again after making a loss and I request you to better not to track anything and take some break from trading as there and then come again with proper practice and planning.
There are instances on where how hard we do make plans we do still able to experience this kind of negatives due to very unpredictable market on where prices can go into opposite directions towards on what we order.40% deduction or loss in our entire portfolio is not joke on where you would really panic specially if you did put up your all funds into investing.In this case you should hold on because when the market is starting to recover we would see recovery or deduction of our negative as well.
This the problem with new traders they will not do proper research before investing and they will not ask suggestions from experts before taking panic decisions, after everything they will suffer like OP. I am sorry for your loss you bought coins at ATH no issue but you did panic sell that's the problem. Don't ever get panic when price suddenly drops I think you already understand how this market works am i right.
Activity: 882
Merit: 269
April 19, 2018, 05:17:53 PM
You could have not sold out of fear of losing your value because bitcoin is going to recover very soon. I just believe that many people buy bitcoin at the wrong price and that is the reason why they are selling out of panic. To sell at this moment is taking business decisions and you should not sell at lose when the future is very bright.
Activity: 1134
Merit: 517
April 19, 2018, 03:47:05 PM
You suffered initially from FOMO (fear of missing out) and bought too high
And then suffered from FUD (fear, uncertainty and diubt) and sold too low.

I would also recommend if you have the stomach for it to get in again with
coins in the top 10 of coin market cap and look to the long term.

If you cant trade, dont
It's obvious OP suffered from FOMO and then FUD as a result of his lacking of sound trading knowledge and experience, so urging him to brace himself up for yet another bout, bodes him no good. What to recommend to him, is to do the needful, which is to learn first, so to be able to earn later and going forward.

Most experienced trader knew as at December that the market was highly overbought and a reversal was most likely, so they knew better to sell then or hedge their open positions than to buy. Also the market have been oversold in recent times, as such, selling your coins anymore can no longer be a wise decision, instead we keep buying some more. That's the kind of edge a trader comes into for having the right trading knowledge and experience.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
April 19, 2018, 03:07:39 PM
The answer is: take the lesson and learn from it. In crypto it is quite frequent to lose up to 90% of the value of your portfolio, but then, you really lose only if you sell.

Not sure what shitcoins you invest in, but if your portfolio frequently loses like 90% of its value, you are doing something horribly wrong, and don't actually learn from it since it's happened more to than once. Cheesy

The only thing that makes sense is that you only lose when you sell, but that's not something people think about because of how fiat centric they are. In the same way, you only book profits when you sell. I have various cold wallets that throughout the years have gained on-paper value, but what's that value worth when you aren't doing anything with the coins in the forthcoming years? In other words, there is no difference if the coins are worth $100 or $20,000 like last year's peak. The only consistent aspect of your investment is the fact that you always have the same number of coins no matter what. It's an important mindset that will help you achieve your goal, but only a very few people have that mindset.
Activity: 2534
Merit: 332
April 19, 2018, 03:07:04 PM
Got in at the height of Jan this year and all holdings lost more than half from the previous peak.

Very frustrated and was afraid that crypto will be zeroed out, so sold at massive loss more than 50%+ realized loss

After sold last week, all coins came back up 10-20%, even more frustrated, what to do?

40% loss is not a small one its really a big loss and I think should be taking some break from the trading market so that you get recovered from the loss both physically & mentally.But I think the major reason behind your loss is that you didn't plan your trades well and you didn't use a right & major stop loss to your trades in order to protect your capital and because of all that the loss has incurred.Now there is no point in seeing the coins recovering from the bottom again after making a loss and I request you to better not to track anything and take some break from trading as there and then come again with proper practice and planning.
There are instances on where how hard we do make plans we do still able to experience this kind of negatives due to very unpredictable market on where prices can go into opposite directions towards on what we order.40% deduction or loss in our entire portfolio is not joke on where you would really panic specially if you did put up your all funds into investing.In this case you should hold on because when the market is starting to recover we would see recovery or deduction of our negative as well.
Activity: 2702
Merit: 716
Nothing lasts forever
April 19, 2018, 02:55:00 PM

Activity: 284
Merit: 112
April 19, 2018, 07:33:46 AM

The answer is: take the lesson and learn from it. In crypto it is quite frequent to lose up to 90% of the value of your portfolio, but then, you really lose only if you sell. This is why people are preaching the virtues of HODLING. If you are in doubt on what to do, in crypto, just hold your coins until they are up again.
Activity: 336
Merit: 71
April 16, 2018, 07:16:28 PM
You have to buy when others don't want it.. its just the way accumulation works.  It's like those people who buy up a ton of popular toys in October or preorder at 25 different stores and then unload them all at premium prices at Christmas.  Buying entries are really the only thing you can control because once you hit that buy button, you're at the mercy of how others react to the price. I think ultimately you will make money and lots of it, so don't worry about being 40% underwater, but the next time the market goes parabolic, you know what to do.  It should be pretty obvious that rich people avoid fomo and fear.. and if you're afraid of buying more in a bear market because you're too far down already or if you're too scared to sell because "it might be 10,000 dollars one day", you're catering to what the whales want you to do,  If most people are buying, then its time to sell.. if most people are selling that is when you buy.. sure with TA you can min/max better than that but this single-handedly is where new people screw up.   But it's okay and it's better for it to happen now while you are still learning when your positions are smaller... than to earn a few thousand dollars doing and learning the wrong things that will end up costing you hundreds of thousands later on.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 516
April 16, 2018, 07:05:37 PM
A lot of people enter at the wrong time, many people think that when Jan the price will keep on going up and people still bought it, so when the correction time come, all of them suffered a big lost, in trading you need to be able to analyse the situation, you need to have an exit strategy, my suggestion for now is to learn, you already got this  experience then you need to learn better so next time you know how to handle  the situation, all traders ever experienced lost so don't be too frustrated, now the market slowly healed up, it could be the time for you to try a new trade
Activity: 2562
Merit: 577
April 16, 2018, 06:24:47 PM

And then, why did you sell? It was the worst thing that you can do to be honest.

So.. that was the lesson,you sold at a loss, and then it went back again to the top, now you see? The same cycle is always repeating by itself.

Activity: 2226
Merit: 347
April 16, 2018, 06:17:38 PM

Theres nothing you can do since the damage had been done already unless if you did able to buyback on cheaper coins on where the market is still on the dump side.If not then you would really end up regretting and realizing that you shouldnt able to sell out those coins and you might able to break even or getting some percentage profits when price recovery happens.Dont be stressed out since most newbies on trading or investing to crypto will definitely pass this experience and atleast you do already learn on how market behaves.
Activity: 447
Merit: 108
April 16, 2018, 05:37:55 PM

Panic selling always end with people's for taken such a decision and i wandered most time why will people shows or  take such a decision. Is out of ignorant? Or greed so that they will not lose much of their capital which they use to invest in Bitcoin and altcoins. As i usually advise that what ever goes up must come down one day and what ever is down today sooner or later will go up one day but so  many people will not listen.
Activity: 616
Merit: 263
April 16, 2018, 05:08:38 PM
Have you ever heard the saying, if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen? Well that's exactly what you need to do.

If you had invested so much into crypto, that you had to worry about losing all your money when it dips, then you had invested too much. Surely getting into this you knew that cryptocurrencies were highly volatile? So why were you surprised when they dropped 40% over the period of a month, when this has happened literally dozens of times before? If you're going to hold, at least hold for a year dude, you folded after just 3 months.
Activity: 896
Merit: 514
April 16, 2018, 05:06:10 PM

You should regroup and change your strategy that is all. Probably you are quite new to trading, and usually when coins pump extremely hard like what happened back in December of 2017, you should have expected the price to go down pretty low as well. If the up swing is hard then expect a down swing as hard. But it is not the usual case, there are times that the upswing is pretty high and the down swing doesn't go below half. You really have to do you analysis on the events happening with crypto.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
April 16, 2018, 05:05:10 PM
go find something else to do with your time. your mind clearly isn't strong enough for this.

for bitcoin and a few other coins you would've had to wait several years to break even if you'd gotten in during their peak in 2013. the rewards eventually returned but you certainly had to work for it.

what i don't understand is why you didn't consider this a possibility when you got in. the crypto markets are littered with huge drops followed by epic rises. it's just another day at the office and you should be sitting back and letting it ride.
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
April 16, 2018, 05:01:57 PM
The trick in investing crypto is that you don't sell at a loss, especially with bitcoins. On some other relatively unknown coins, I tend to not meddle with them especially if there isn't a wide market wanting to hype the hell out of the coin to gain some massive boosts. If you only hold bitcoins, that's good. 40% losses are nothing if you compare it with the rewards available if you go long, but this is something only the most patient guys would do. You can look at the charts from previous bull runs and you'll see that price stagnation often leads to crazy gains that no one ever thought would be achievable.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
April 16, 2018, 11:47:26 AM

I wouldnt look at your peak as a gauge of how much you've lost, instead you should look at what price you bought in at before you sold.  Furthermore, holding is the only way to ensure that you dont lose money because as long as you dont sell permanently set any losses.  If i were you, i would just hold what i have as of now and try to use the money you got from selling to buy back in at a lower price.
Activity: 602
Merit: 259
April 16, 2018, 11:19:13 AM

So you yourself went and sell everything out of the fear, that was mistake number one and after the market was recovering you did not rebuy your coins was the mistake number second mate. You could have been keen at what you are doing and not emotional type of weak hand who sold everything out of the frustration. We all were at the same stage as you are and why do you think that we did not sell or why do you think we keep replying to people that dont get panic when BTC or market dropping just hold your coins? Just to avoid the scenario that you have created here.
You can do only one thing now, just wait for the market to come down or invest at this stage only and expect that market will boost soon. I am with the second option though as it doesn't seem to me market is gonna be down.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 529
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
April 16, 2018, 10:50:25 AM

All mistakes are made by you, and you decide to sell them before the market is over because you fear it will continue to fall. It is the psychology of all new investors when it comes down, and I advise you not to sell the Altcoin you own until you get a profit from it.

Well if you've sold everything already, then it's a bitter lesson that you have to swallow. That's why the only time you really are at a loss is when you sell at a loss. You remove all chances of recovering. If you still have it for crypto, then you can use that lesson for your future trades
Activity: 484
Merit: 100
April 16, 2018, 09:58:22 AM

All mistakes are made by you, and you decide to sell them before the market is over because you fear it will continue to fall. It is the psychology of all new investors when it comes down, and I advise you not to sell the Altcoin you own until you get a profit from it.
Pages:
Jump to: