Pages:
Author

Topic: Maximum role of Government? - page 6. (Read 28703 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
July 19, 2011, 02:51:52 PM
I mean how do you differentiate the power you generate from the power the power company generate? Can't do it, unless you have a separate circuit.

They can't either. They just know that they put out X, and you used Y, so they charge you, because you contracted with them. And as long as the total of all the Ys add up to less than or equal to X, they're OK.

I do however still want an explanation about why why that thing you're saying should happen doesn't happen. Why don't we see competition in these areas? Why doesn't the market "fix it" all by itself?
Another interesting fact: clean energy is only happening because of government sponsoring. They're "wasting" money by helping people set up wind turbines and other renewables and while doing so sponsoring technology development in these areas. The first wind turbines that went up cost more energy to produce than they gave during their lifetime, now they give a net surplus. Left to the free market we wouldn't have as much wind power as we do today, reducing the CO2 emissions for everybody. 

1, they're doing nothing a sufficiently motivated rich individual or private charity couldn't do, and arguably more efficiently.
2, we would have wind turbines, and other clean sources of energy, when they became cost effective (ie: oil prices raised to the point that turbines, even with their low initial efficiency become worthwhile)
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
July 19, 2011, 02:31:44 PM
Then why don't more people set up panels or other generation systems? Look into it yourself, You could turn a bill into a profit stream. And how do the power companies differentiate? They don't. They come check the meter, and however much you have used, that's what they charge you for.
Have a look at the response above yours. MoonShadow explains it rather well.

I mean how do you differentiate the power you generate from the power the power company generate? Can't do it, unless you have a separate circuit.

I do however still want an explanation about why why that thing you're saying should happen doesn't happen. Why don't we see competition in these areas? Why doesn't the market "fix it" all by itself?
Another interesting fact: clean energy is only happening because of government sponsoring. They're "wasting" money by helping people set up wind turbines and other renewables and while doing so sponsoring technology development in these areas. The first wind turbines that went up cost more energy to produce than they gave during their lifetime, now they give a net surplus. Left to the free market we wouldn't have as much wind power as we do today, reducing the CO2 emissions for everybody. 
July 18, 2011, 07:04:18 PM
Free but not unregulated. And you can sell power to the power companies if you follow certain rules in setting the equipment up. I think that has to do with protecting the grid from faulty equipment.
And how would you be able to differentiate your power from any other power if you sent it over the regular grid. You'd have to have your own grid to distribute it to your neighbour.

Then why don't more people set up panels or other generation systems? Look into it yourself, You could turn a bill into a profit stream. And how do the power companies differentiate? They don't. They come check the meter, and however much you have used, that's what they charge you for.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
July 18, 2011, 06:53:12 PM
If I install solar panels and have excess, can I sell my power to my neighbor?

If that question was for me then yes, I think so. I doubt that you are allowed to use circuits connected to the grid though.

If you have never seen one generator running in one back yard, with extension cords running to three or four neighbors during a power outage, then you have never really seen this kind of activity in practice.  I have seen it happen on the fly, as a refrigerator takes very little power to run in 24 hours, but most residential refrigerators need to have power at least 10 minutes of every hour to maintain temps.  What people in hurricane country will do, is freeze gallon jugs of seawater for a couple days prior to the hurricane, (they get a warning after all) and will keep those jugs in their freezer to maintain cold between opprotunities to share power.  One decent sized genset can run the compressors on several refrigerators for a straight hour in the morning, in the heat of mid-day, and once more just before dark and the cold mass of the saltwater jug in the freezer and a freshwater jug (or several) in the refrigerator will carry the temps till daylight.  In this way, the cost of capital is lower, because only one guy needs to own the genset; and the costs of fuel are lower, because larger gensets & non-coincidental load sharing are more efficient ways of electrical generation.  The normal way this kind of ad-hoc transaction occurs, is that the neighbors who piggy-back off of the generator owner's genset are providing the (majority) of the gas for this arrangement, while the owner provides the genset and the scheduling.  It is also fairly normal for clothes washing (not machine drying) to be schedualed in a like manner.

If this kind of arrangement were cheaper/better overall as compared to the massive economies of scall that the power company enjoys, we would see this kind of thing happen all the time.  We might yet.
July 18, 2011, 06:52:36 PM

If that question was for me then yes, I think so. I doubt that you are allowed to use circuits connected to the grid though.

Wait, why can't I hook to the grid? It's a free market, isn't it?
Free but not unregulated. And you can sell power to the power companies if you follow certain rules in setting the equipment up. I think that has to do with protecting the grid from faulty equipment.
And how would you be able to differentiate your power from any other power if you sent it over the regular grid. You'd have to have your own grid to distribute it to your neighbour.
July 18, 2011, 06:40:39 PM

Wait, why can't I hook to the grid? It's a free market, isn't it?
July 18, 2011, 06:38:10 PM

July 18, 2011, 06:24:54 PM
July 18, 2011, 06:17:54 PM
Fine, pick another rich guy. Point is that whatever you're saying will happen isn't happening.

The difference being what in another market? Pay and you get service. Pay little to the monopoly and get service, compared to pay a lot to the "free market" to get service. In the example we're talking about. So the free market is a tyranny now? Or is it the fact that I get to choose which of the big players I will give my money that makes it better than paying a little to one I have no choice in.

You're deliberately twisting my words. What you have is NOT the free market. What you have is a government established oligopoly, which is supported by regulation costs making the barrier to entry too high. You can't just 'pick another rich guy', it has to be somebody who has a reason to enter the market aside from marginal profits 10 years down the line.

Funny thing is, if you look at the papers written about this, they do talk about barriers to entry but never about artificial barriers of entry which is what you're suggesting. The barriers are high cost of building power plants and infrastructure. Those barriers would remain even in your utopian "free market". So what you have is a few big players with no interest of competing and no new players interested in joining, which screws the customer even more than a monopoly does, because now you have the illusion of choice and nobody to hold responsible.

July 18, 2011, 05:53:25 PM
Fine, pick another rich guy. Point is that whatever you're saying will happen isn't happening.

The difference being what in another market? Pay and you get service. Pay little to the monopoly and get service, compared to pay a lot to the "free market" to get service. In the example we're talking about. So the free market is a tyranny now? Or is it the fact that I get to choose which of the big players I will give my money that makes it better than paying a little to one I have no choice in.

You're deliberately twisting my words. What you have is NOT the free market. What you have is a government established oligopoly, which is supported by regulation costs making the barrier to entry too high. You can't just 'pick another rich guy', it has to be somebody who has a reason to enter the market aside from marginal profits 10 years down the line.
July 18, 2011, 05:35:53 PM
Why would Branson care? It's not his itch to scratch. Billionaires have other things to do than jump on every single profit opportunity. They go for the big fish. It's the little guys that take care of the local problems.

And yes, a government sponsored monopoly isn't only comparable to tyranny, it is tyranny. In your own words:
Only one provider meant no cost for advertising, everybody who wanted power had to pay.
And besides, you can indeed remove a tyrant. It's been done before, just takes a little work.

July 18, 2011, 03:40:54 PM
Oh come on. You don't think Richard Branson could pay whatever fee to break into a market if he wanted to? Why doesn't he, or someone similar go in there and undercut the others? It's what should happen according to you. The real world just seems to disagree with your theory.

A government sponsored monopoly isn't comparable to tyranny. You can replace the government every four years if you want. You have power over a government.

Why would Branson care? It's not his itch to scratch. Billionaires have other things to do than jump on every single profit opportunity. They go for the big fish. It's the little guys that take care of the local problems.

And yes, a government sponsored monopoly isn't only comparable to tyranny, it is tyranny. In your own words:
Only one provider meant no cost for advertising, everybody who wanted power had to pay.
And besides, you can indeed remove a tyrant. It's been done before, just takes a little work.
July 18, 2011, 03:22:32 PM
You're missing the point. The point is not the compliance with the rules, the point, and the barrier to entry, is proving compliance. Licensing fees, inspection fees, all sorts of regulation-related costs. Startups often can't afford to pay these costs, which is why there's no new players. No new players means the existing ones are free to soak the customers as much as they want.

And in this specific instance, with a responsible monopoly, which got broken up into a cartel, yes, the customers were better off. A benevolent tyrant is usually better than a democracy, too, but that doesn't mean we should support tyranny.

Oh come on. You don't think Richard Branson could pay whatever fee to break into a market if he wanted to? Why doesn't he, or someone similar go in there and undercut the others? It's what should happen according to you. The real world just seems to disagree with your theory.

A government sponsored monopoly isn't comparable to tyranny. You can replace the government every four years if you want. You have power over a government.
July 18, 2011, 01:42:02 PM
So, no rules then? If companies can't be bothered to follow rules when there's punishment waiting for those who break the laws, you expect them to follow rules they don't have to?

But what about the broken up monopoly that resulted in a oligopoly with higher prices? Surely it was better for the consumer to have a monopoly, no?

You're missing the point. The point is not the compliance with the rules, the point, and the barrier to entry, is proving compliance. Licensing fees, inspection fees, all sorts of regulation-related costs. Startups often can't afford to pay these costs, which is why there's no new players. No new players means the existing ones are free to soak the customers as much as they want.

And in this specific instance, with a responsible monopoly, which got broken up into a cartel, yes, the customers were better off. A benevolent tyrant is usually better than a democracy, too, but that doesn't mean we should support tyranny.
July 18, 2011, 08:06:11 AM
Free market: (n) A market unencumbered by regulation or taxation.

Not to say there aren't rules, but those rules are not enforced by a state, they're followed voluntarily. Ratings organizations could rate which companies do the best job in various areas.

So, no rules then? If companies can't be bothered to follow rules when there's punishment waiting for those who break the laws, you expect them to follow rules they don't have to?

But what about the broken up monopoly that resulted in a oligopoly with higher prices? Surely it was better for the consumer to have a monopoly, no?
July 18, 2011, 06:30:07 AM
So then it's better to keep a monopoly run by the state, since you have a few politicians to punish?

I'd like to know what you consider a a free market? No rules at all, or can you have a few rules in place, such as rules about waste disposal? Employee safety?  Are those the things that you claim keep competition out?

Free market: (n) A market unencumbered by regulation or taxation.

Not to say there aren't rules, but those rules are not enforced by a state, they're followed voluntarily. Ratings organizations could rate which companies do the best job in various areas.
July 18, 2011, 06:03:19 AM
So no competition is better than a little competition? The market isn't "free" in your sense. It's free in the "everyone's free to compete and here are the rules" kind of way. It has turned into an oligopoly and no player is undercutting another because they make a ton of money, and no new player have emerged. I'm not sure how long anybody's supposed to wait for the market to fix problems like these, but 15 years is more than enough don't you think?

Ahh. Yup, looks like the same thing happened in your case... they sold all their stuff to their buddies, and then set up barriers to entry. The market needs to be completely free for competition to work. If they're in a 'walled garden' of regulation, it makes it real tough for new players to enter. If no new players can enter, the existing companies can screw the customers as much as they want.

So then it's better to keep a monopoly run by the state, since you have a few politicians to punish?

I'd like to know what you consider a a free market? No rules at all, or can you have a few rules in place, such as rules about waste disposal? Employee safety?  Are those the things that you claim keep competition out?
July 18, 2011, 05:26:23 AM
So no competition is better than a little competition? The market isn't "free" in your sense. It's free in the "everyone's free to compete and here are the rules" kind of way. It has turned into an oligopoly and no player is undercutting another because they make a ton of money, and no new player have emerged. I'm not sure how long anybody's supposed to wait for the market to fix problems like these, but 15 years is more than enough don't you think?

Ahh. Yup, looks like the same thing happened in your case... they sold all their stuff to their buddies, and then set up barriers to entry. The market needs to be completely free for competition to work. If they're in a 'walled garden' of regulation, it makes it real tough for new players to enter. If no new players can enter, the existing companies can screw the customers as much as they want.
July 18, 2011, 05:15:40 AM
I'm not a big supporter of monopolies, but sometimes they work and I'm pragmatic enough to choose what "works" over what "follows my ideology" in matters like this.

I don't know the legislation surrounding the deregulation, but here in the US, what we call 'Deregulation' really amounts to granting oligopolies, or regional monopolies.

qbg
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
July 17, 2011, 10:52:24 PM
or just be competitive temporarily until the competition goes away.  the monopoly is established, they can afford to run at a loss for awhile.  the new competition can't, they have capital providers they need to pay back.

then after the new competition goes out of business, jack the prices back up to where they were.  repeat as needed.

You're assuming people will only look at price. Two or three cycles of this, and as soon as the next competitor shows up, everybody switches, because they know DickCorp is just going to raise the prices again if NewGuyCorp goes out of business again, which gives them incentive to keep them going.

If some megastore sells retail below your cost, just buy his entire inventory, mark it up and sell it in your store. See how long he can stay in business against you doing that.
1) It would have to be below their price (or else you're making them money).
2) What's stopping them from not selling to you?
Pages:
Jump to: