Pages:
Author

Topic: MemoryDealers.com founder Roger Ver abuses admin access at Blockchain.info - page 13. (Read 28752 times)

legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
Are you FUCKING KIDDING ME? I wake up and read this?

In my mind this is almost as bad as the pirate shit and all the fraud going on with those exchanges. Blockchain is sold as having the utmost security and trust, with its local wallet operations, audited code base, and anonymity features.

That someone, an investor no less, would go in and take actions that are completely at odds with how the Blockchain service is marketed is very disappointing to hear. This is another black eye on the face of Bitcoin. And God knows, we certainly don't need any more of those.

Plus, isn't this MemoryDealers guy the kid who left the country because the IRS tried screw him or something? And now he does this?

To add insult to injury, this guy's responses in the thread show that he is totally irresponsible and cannot be trusted. To think that Blockchain users' personal information is available at the whim of this turncoat makes me shudder.
Activity: 312
Merit: 250
As far as I knew blockchain.info and bitcoinstore.com were 2 completely separate and unrelated businesses.  As far as I'm concerned, it is absolutely not appropriate for someone from one business to be using "admin access" at another business to gain special privileges.

I cannot in good faith (and will not) recommend blockchain.info to anybody ever again unless they do one of the following:

Publicly and openly state in an obvious and easy to find way on their main website which other businesses have special admin access to look up information on people's accounts.

or

Immediately sever all relationships with other businesses, removing admin access from anyone who would use that access to benefit their other business.

or

Provide all users with the exact same admin access, so that they too can track down scammers as necessary.

Furthermore, I can not and will not ever recommend bitcoinstore.com to anybody.  I understand that they are frustrated with the loss of the bitcoins that they accidentally sent, and I realize that the "right thing to do" for the person who received those bitcoins was to return them.  However, that does not make bitcoinstore.com use of special access to blockchain.info any less appropriate.  As far as I'm concerned their use of this access was at least as inappropriate as the failure of the person receiving the extra bitcoin to return them.

Again +1
Activity: 482
Merit: 502
Hope this episode will serve as a lesson to improve the services...
In fact, the same mistakes will be done over and over again. And history will repeat.
Am I too pessimistic?  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794
I can not recommend bitcoinstore.com to anybody.  I understand that they are frustrated with the loss of the bitcoins that they accidentally sent, and I realize that the "right thing to do" for the person who received those bitcoins was to return them.  However, that does not make your abuse of special access to blockchain.info allowed you as an employee any less inappropriate.  As far as I'm concerned the abuse of this access was at least as inappropriate as the failure of the person receiving the extra bitcoin to return them.

EDIT: blockchain.info has acted in a responsible way and removed from MemoryDealers all future access to personal information.  As such this post has been edited to make it clear that blockchain.info is not responsible for the actions of this particular ex-employee.
Hope this episode serve as a lesson to improve the services of blockchain.info and bitcoinstore.

You leveraged it in private.

He told me he didn't own the bitcoin address in question.
I told him in private that he did,  and gave him the proof that I knew he did.
I don't see this as inappropriate.
It is inappropriate for someone who has admin access at blockchain.info to use that information for the benefit of some other business.  As a matter of fact it is explicitly against the blockchain.info privacy policy:

We will . . . distribute . . . your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so.

In this instance bitcoinstore.com is a third party, and blockchain.info has distributed the personal information of one of their users to that third party without the user's permission and without being required by law to do so.

+1
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794

I told him in private that he did,  and gave him the proof that I knew he did.
It is inappropriate for someone who has admin access at blockchain.info to use that information for the benefit of some other business.  As a matter of fact it is explicitly against the blockchain.info privacy policy:

We will . . . distribute . . . your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so.
This is why blockchain.info has removed your access.  They do not allow it to be used in this way, and you violated their trust.

In this instance bitcoinstore.com is a third party, and you have distributed the personal information of one of their users to that third party without the user's permission and without being required by law to do so.

EDIT: blockchain.info has acted in a responsible way and removed from MemoryDealers all future access to personal information.  As such this post has been edited to make it clear that blockchain.info is not responsible for the actions of this particular ex-employee.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
What ^ are you worried Bout guy? why are you crying.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
vip
Activity: 1052
Merit: 1155

I told him in private that he did,  and gave him the proof that I knew he did.
Activity: 322

While taking advantage of privileged information is bad this is getting overblown.

Let's stop the masterbatorial frothing.
Activity: 210
All you have to do is read what Roger Ver himself wrote in that thread. He said himself that he has access to a lot of information about account holders and their accounts, and we can see for ourselves in the email chain he posted that he was prepared to leverage this information to resolve a customer service dispute in a completely unrelated business.

You have this wrong.
The only information I threatened to leverage was the information from Bitcoinstore,  the business directly involved in the incident.
I never made any of the information from Blockchain public.

Also

If I knew his passphrase,  I could have logged into his account,  and taken my money back.

vip
Activity: 1052
Merit: 1155
All you have to do is read what Roger Ver himself wrote in that thread. He said himself that he has access to a lot of information about account holders and their accounts, and we can see for ourselves in the email chain he posted that he was prepared to leverage this information to resolve a customer service dispute in a completely unrelated business.

You have this wrong.
The only information I threatened to leverage was the information from Bitcoinstore,  the business directly involved in the incident.
I never made any of the information from Blockchain public.
Activity: 426
Secret passphrases not being secret .. Sad
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
It should also be noted that ThomasV runs a competitor to Blockchain.info

That is correct, but Electrum is not a commercial operation.
It is a free software project, that involves multiple developers, not just me.

At this point, your asking me to either believe a long standing, trusted member of the community plus my own interpretation of reading the thread...or believe the scammer.

WHICH WILL I CHOOSE?! It is so hard!

Why break the habit of a lifetime, right? Smiley

I think you have the facts wrong though. No one is asking you to believe the "scammer". (In all honesty I don't think he's technically a scammer. Ver paid him back too much money in error and he kept it, not really a scam. More like Ver fucked up. A scam usually involves deception, not taking advantage of someone else's mistake, although of course that is also wrong.)

Fuck that guy charlie content didnt he start a thread cassing out how to steal bitcoin

Uh, no? I dunno what "cassing" is, but I'm pretty sure that you have the wrong guy.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
So, if I have this right.  A scammer gives blockchain.info his bitcoins for safe keeping, scams the guy who runs it, and then complains that blockchain.info might maybe want their BTC back even though that can't happen anyway?

GTFO!

I think I'm going to go buy something off bitcoinstore.com just to counteract your stupidity.

You have it completely wrong.

1. This guy wasn't a scammer. Read the thread.

2. Blockchain.info don't want their BTC back. It's a totally separate business.

3. The problem is, as I said, that Roger Ver has access to a lot of information about account holders and their accounts, and he was prepared to leverage this information to resolve a customer service dispute in a completely unrelated business.

It's a bit rich that you would call me stupid, really.

At this point, your asking me to either believe a long standing, trusted member of the community plus my own interpretation of reading the thread...or believe the scammer.

WHICH WILL I CHOOSE?! It is so hard!

Haha, I think it's pretty ridiculous that you would call me an idiot when you are unable to even write your insult correctly. Smiley
Activity: 126
Fuck that guy charlie content didnt he start a thread cassing out how to steal bitcoin.. And now he's having a big cry about someone checking up on transactions and proves that indeed bcs were sent to an adress someone was denying.  And he's crying about it? Something shows theres more to it than this.
Pages:
Jump to: