Pages:
Author

Topic: Merit giveaway: is it a good idear? - page 2. (Read 987 times)

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1224
Life's but a walking shadow!
September 16, 2020, 12:39:23 PM
To be honest, I have nothing against anyone and especially @mocacinno, He helped me and guided me a good path.
And tbh mocacinno has nothing against you as well, it just happens that your thread was used as a reference to discuss the bigger issue on merit giveaways (everyone of them and the ones to be done in the future). It could prolly have been another giveaway thread used, but it doesn't change anything, the discussion is on what the community thinks about giveaways and not what it thinks about your giveaway.

To give my own two cents on the matter, we know it's impossible for merit giveaways to be stopped, it's not technically against the rules, but if it's necessary, is something to be debated on, I don't have to request a newbie to submit links to their post history before giving merits to them, if a user with smerits spots a newbie making good posts, you can simply just go through their post history and merit their good posts without starting any giveaway thread. Imo, it's pretty much better that way, and that being said, I think a newbie will appreciate a merit earned outside a giveaway thread, 'giveaway' sounds like you're getting it for free, with no work.
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
September 16, 2020, 12:32:53 PM
In the past I've had a few merit giveaways topics in beginners section in the forum.
I wanted to help newbies to receive their first merits but eventually gave up.
Most of the reported posts from the newbies were of very poor quality, and did not deserve merits.
Not only that, but after closing such topics, I would receive private messages from newbies begging me to give them merits.
I simply gave up on such a way of sharing merit and now I try to find myself quality and good posts that deserve merits.
If there is a giveaway merit like this then newbies will look for topics that they are good at, well of course they don't have good knowledge about the topics that are sent in your thread so that it is not feasible and bad, yes, the average newbie just wants to merit with the report quality posts and can't judge which one is better. still understandable.

But it is also true that the future of this forum is if we continue to do this without finding extraordinary topics then it will be bad if you force it but it would be better if you find good topics then it deserves merit because of that you have found it.

I started merit giveaway in the beginners section of the forum and I did not seek any specific area, topic or knowledge from newbies.
I just asked them to report their quality posts for merits that they wrote anywhere on the forum, provided that they are in English so I can understand them.
I did not want to give merit just for any application and I asked for at least some minimum quality standard or concrete contribution to the forum.
Activity: 2856
Merit: 644
https://duelbits.com/
September 16, 2020, 12:07:30 PM
In the past I've had a few merit giveaways topics in beginners section in the forum.
Most of the reported posts from the newbies were of very poor quality, and did not deserve merits.
Not only that, but after closing such topics, I would receive private messages from newbies begging me to give them merits.
I simply gave up on such a way of sharing merit and now I try to find myself quality and good posts that deserve merits.
If there is a giveaway merit like this then newbies will look for topics that they are good at, well of course they don't have good knowledge about the topics that are sent in your thread so that it is not feasible and bad, yes, the average newbie just wants to merit with the report quality posts and can't judge which one is better. still understandable.

But it is also true that the future of this forum is if we continue to do this without finding extraordinary topics then it will be bad if you force it but it would be better if you find good topics then it deserves merit because of that you have found it.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1775
September 16, 2020, 11:28:55 AM
Overall, I am happy that I learnt it quickly and you all helped me in this process.
Thank you so much for this.
That's Forum, here has 1000 different positive & negative thoughts.

someone never learn & succeed, if that person never make mistakes, the thread OP, will be a valuable lesson and experience for you, it will be better in this forum for the future.

I hope in your future, become the best member here, with what is happening today.
copper member
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1481
Bitcoin Bottom was at $15.4k
September 16, 2020, 11:13:47 AM
I am literally feeling like getting targeted, getting accused of having connections with these Altcoins and other negative aspects.
I just wanted to spread some help to new members. It kinda fucked my own for doing good.
Indeed your ideals are good, but here many members judge the behavior of other members, don't hold @mocacinno thinking badly for you.

@mocacinno just wants to give you directions and advice, it doesn't have to be like this in the future.

@mocacinno: say good things for you, for the future.

This topic is NOT pointed towards the OP in the linked thread, but merely to discuss the general stance of other members towards merit giveaways. AFAIK, the OP in above thread is trying to do some good for newbies, and others have done merit giveaways long before he started his thread.

So it makes sense, also includes me thinking negative for you, most likely your Alt, but this is an estimate, not an accusation.

What you are doing is inappropriate, with members of your quote post saying "thank you". You immediately gave Merit.

example:: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.55205433

Very easy to get merit, without thinking about something meaningful.

This is where the allegations and negative things arise, it is not natural for you to do threads like that, but if their post is quality it may not be a problem for other members.

So, I take the advice, give something valuable to those who deserve it means: quality, other members will not judge you with negative things.

To be honest, I have nothing against anyone and especially @mocacinno, He helped me and guided me a good path.
I can see there are other users who think I did it to earn merit or to feed my Alt accounts with merit.
Those allegations are really negative and kinda impact.

Overall, I am happy that I learnt it quickly and you all helped me in this process.
Thank you so much for this.

Regards,
ImThour
Activity: 1358
Merit: 134
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
September 16, 2020, 11:12:36 AM
I already visited the thread recently and the OP of the main thread has a good intention but in the other way, there is some lower ranks abuse that kind of merit giveaway because they can earn easily a merit without hassle.

Also, I would like to appeal that earlier because they can get merit just doing a copy-paste what rules they want and boom easy merit.

I think it's better to hold sMerit and give it to someone who deserves it than giving to members who just absolutely doing a spam.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 10802
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
September 16, 2020, 10:58:03 AM
<…>
I often find that the term "giveaway" creates a wrong impression in threads that are declared of that nature, and there do seem to be a fair sum of threads of the kind currently running concurrently.

Merits do not have to be announced explicitly, and you could still award them at your discretion to answers within the thread on the basis of any proposed topic. For example, you could propose the readers to read (thoroughly) through the rules, and comment on doubts and changes that could be fitting, stirring-up some debate in this manner.

Nevertheless, there’s absolutely no way that a subjective matter such as this can be delimited without falling short on other threads/posts by comparison,  whereby a single unmemorable post may harvest elsewhere more merits that those given ( 8 ) or even intended to be given on @ImThour’s thread.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1775
September 16, 2020, 10:41:25 AM
I am literally feeling like getting targeted, getting accused of having connections with these Altcoins and other negative aspects.
I just wanted to spread some help to new members. It kinda fucked my own for doing good.
Indeed your ideals are good, but here many members judge the behavior of other members, don't hold @mocacinno thinking badly for you.

@mocacinno just wants to give you directions and advice, it doesn't have to be like this in the future.

@mocacinno: say good things for you, for the future.

This topic is NOT pointed towards the OP in the linked thread, but merely to discuss the general stance of other members towards merit giveaways. AFAIK, the OP in above thread is trying to do some good for newbies, and others have done merit giveaways long before he started his thread.

So it makes sense, also includes me thinking negative for you, most likely your Alt, but this is an estimate, not an accusation.

What you are doing is inappropriate, with members of your quote post saying "thank you". You immediately gave Merit.

example:: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.55205433

Very easy to get merit, without thinking about something meaningful.

This is where the allegations and negative things arise, it is not natural for you to do threads like that, but if their post is quality it may not be a problem for other members.

So, I take the advice, give something valuable to those who deserve it means: quality, other members will not judge you with negative things.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 5937
September 16, 2020, 10:27:42 AM
Yeah I remember your giveaway thread. Turnout was low, and average post quality bad. Beginners&Help section constantly has abundance of giveaway threads while good low rank members that apply in those are rare. Not a good thing, when you think about forum's future.

This is just forum being forum. People will share suspicions, decisions will be questioned etc, and not just for you, but any member. You didn't break any forum rules, so no reason to take criticism hard.
Activity: 2016
Merit: 531
FREE passive income eBook @ tinyurl.com/PIA10
September 16, 2020, 10:12:05 AM
When I reached my 100th Merit, I held a giveaway thread but some members actually posted had good feedback which I took into consideration.

Rather than holding them, reward posts that are deemed Merit-worthy. That way, those participants won't feel compelled to come out with one (often redundant) topic or thread just for a measly Merit or two.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1165
🤩Finally Married🤩
September 16, 2020, 10:08:50 AM
Feeling so bad for doing something with a positive mind/aspect.
That's Life. Not everyone thinks the same as you, but there are still others who understands whatever it is, as for this giveaway nothing's wrong with it, Only the transaction has something to manage and to be taken care of just like what your client did (it's not that really bad IMO, just to avoid being accused, if you know what I mean)...
So don't feel bad, just go along with it,... Just do what you think is right but don't forget to take advises. Have a Good Day.

In my case it consumes too much time and effort, that's why I didn't continue doing that, and as for my Local they're already doing fine I guess. Only a few of us are still on the lower end, but I think they'll manage somehow,...
copper member
September 16, 2020, 09:57:33 AM
I learnt it that way aswell.

Feeling so bad for doing something with a positive mind/aspect.

Regards,
ImThour
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
September 16, 2020, 09:54:37 AM
copper member
September 16, 2020, 09:51:08 AM
Another point is interesting. Looking at the history of the distribution of merits to the OP, I realized that for some reason he kept them and did not give them out earlier. And then the day came, which was called the “action of generosity.” Grin
I would like to talk on this.

1. I received 50 Merits today itself by one of the client for whom I made a website/contract.
2. I didn't waited for days to send it.

I hope this will clear any doubt of my connections to any of the accounts.

Regards,
ImThour
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 4265
✿♥‿♥✿
September 16, 2020, 09:47:41 AM
I was also surprised by such a generous distribution of merit. And, of course, I was wondering who got them. In my observation, someone who had alternative accounts was able to take advantage of this. I don't really believe in coincidence, but two alternative accounts took advantage of this.
Another point is interesting. Looking at the history of the distribution of merits to the OP, I realized that for some reason he kept them and did not give them out earlier. And then the day came, which was called the “action of generosity.” Grin
I can't believe the Merit Holder hasn't found a single worthy post before. Therefore, I would like to wish everyone who keeps their merits,  that in the future there will be no such incidents, and the merits were distributed really for their intended purpose to those who are trying to create useful content for the forum.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
September 16, 2020, 09:30:56 AM
There have been similar discussions before about whether such things should be done or avoided, and I know that at one point the B&H board was cleared of merit giveaway (most of them is moved to Off topic). At the time, it seemed to me that it was not disputable to distribute merit in this way, but that it was only disputable where such threads should be published.

I have a somewhat divided opinion on whether this way of rewarding merit is good or bad. On the one hand, it is good that someone who really deserves it will get a reward because they will draw attention to themselves, and the one who rewards will not waste time looking for good posts. It's not really controversial if someone wants to share their merits, but it's a little unusual for me to see someone open a thread to share 5 merits - and there are so many good posts that deserve to get merits, and I'm sure anyone can find them without spending too much time.
copper member
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1788
฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.
September 16, 2020, 09:29:32 AM
I made a post about such merit giveaways over a year ago (Random merit giveaway threads. What do you think about them?) and some members put in their thoughts there. You can read through

In away some of the merit giveaways don't make sense at all. If someone has 20 sMerits, What is so hard with looking for 5 merit worthy posts around the forum and hand them 4 merits each? Some of the members claim they are so active around the forum but can't even hover around the forum to spend just 20 sMerits.

I think some account farmers have used such merit giveways to their advantage as i suggested back then

When I look at such threads, I think the merit system is getting played in the canny way.

1. Merit Farming: Starter of the thread expects members to support him and award him more merit for starting a merit giveaway thread which is pointless in my opinion. This is nothing to do with contributing to the forum. I mean someone just has only 7 sMerit but can't even make a few clicks on different boards to look for merit worthy posts and there they are that telling newbies to post their merit worthy links in their threads.

2. A way to Meriting Alts without getting detected: Very easy to do. Culprit starts a thread with his main accounts that has a few sMerits, maybe 10 and then posts different links from his alts and boom, all alts get merit. The process of account farming goes on an on
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
September 16, 2020, 09:19:06 AM
I think there's a fine line between merit giveaways that are beneficial, and merit giveaways that are toxic.
[...]
But on the other hand, any giveaway that can be claimed with less than 15 minutes of work might do more harm than good (IMHO).

As long as it's for an actual post (and not e.g. "you get a merit if your username starts with an 'm'") and the post isn't blatantly useless (not like e.g. "good project") then I think it's a waste of time to police it. I mean you can point it out to the person doing it, and in this case it worked, but generally speaking merits are not moderated and I've seen too many cases where this kind of thing resulted in red trust when it shouldn't. A certain number of merits will always be sent to users who seemingly don't deserve it. It just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Sometimes plagiarizers get one. Or scammers. Or people who spell "idea" with an "r". Shit happens.

That's not to say we should knowingly send merits to people who are perhaps attempting to farm accounts etc. But I also don't think we have to come to some sort of universal consensus as what's acceptable as a criteria for "good post" or what kind of rules giveaways should have etc. Sounds like an unenforceable drama-inducing setup.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 2012
Marketing Campaign Manager |Telegram ID- @LT_Mouse
September 16, 2020, 09:12:15 AM
I always feel the necessity of having more smerits to spend on posts which deserve merit. I have earned 314 merit which means 157 smerits which is far bigger than linked OP or some other merit giveaway thread starter but I have no smerits at the moment.
Moral of the story, if merit is used as per its purpose, no one will have hard time to spend their merit, then why we need to create a giveaway even? I think there should be no giveaway allowed regarding merit. There is a thread where people can post or posting quality posts which lack of merit. So, there should be no gap between quality posts and merit given. From that point too, there's no need of merit giveaway.
The purpose of most of the giveaway is simple though (give and take). Some people merit such giveaway threads which is the main reason of production of such giveaway threads.
legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
September 16, 2020, 09:07:34 AM
I always try to stay friendly and helpfull.
You sound like you're both of those things, and I say that sincerely

but:
People that know me a little bit probably know i'm not a big fan of ignoring people.
You're not going to offend anyone by putting them on ignore.  And I would suggest that if you see a member write an extremely low-quality post (and I'm talking about the typical bounty hunter/sig spammer "bitcoin has a bright future" shitpost, put that member on ignore with no hesitation.  You can check their post history, but it's almost a certainty that they're going to keep dropping shitposts until they get banned/bored/whatever.

And I don't know why ImThour created that thread--I don't usually take members at their word unless I trust them when they say things like they're trying to help newbies on their journey or whatever.  I think it was a pretty bad idea to do that, though.  The members who received merits didn't make quality posts, and that's what you're supposed to do to earn merits.  It makes me wonder if those members were his alts or friends or who knows what--I'm not accusing ImThour, just voicing my cynical thoughts.

At least he locked the thread, but he probably ran out of sMerits anyway.
Pages:
Jump to: