Pages:
Author

Topic: Merit system for newbies (benefits) - page 2. (Read 632 times)

Activity: 96
Merit: 0
January 29, 2018, 06:47:48 PM
I think it's a good idea. I understand the purpose of the Merit system, I just wish it was introduced a little later since I was so close to being a Full Member. Or that I would have posted more. But I understand the reasoning. It is what it is.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
January 29, 2018, 06:43:12 PM
The idea consists in giving new members a certain amount of points (let's call them benefits for simplicity), which they can use to reward users helping them here.

So if Merit is a non-commodity, would that make your idea an alt-non-commodity

I'd like to request a new ANC (or nANC) - members get points every time a post gets a "nod from Vod".

Seriously though, no more complication is necessary.  If you see someone providing exceptional help to a newbie, give them merit.  Smiley
Activity: 266
Merit: 14
January 29, 2018, 06:13:41 PM
I understood that merit points are intended to improve the overall quality of the forum, and not just a means of ranking up juniors. I don't really need merit points, but to me they indicate an appreciation by the community for a post I have made, or a thread I have started. If I don't receive any points for a topic, then I'll probably move on and leave that alone. For example, I've started a few threads that I thought would create interesting discussions, and in some cases they have, Some of the replies have generated merit points, but I have received nothing for starting the thread. This tends to make me feel that it is better for me to be reactive rather than proactive.

So the point I am making is that merit points give me feedback about my post quality. They also allow me to send points as a thank you to people that I think are helping the forum.

I agree, but we are talking about the fact that Newbie can't thank the more senior ranks, because they don't have sMerit.
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 2444
https://JetCash.com
January 29, 2018, 05:51:29 PM
I understood that merit points are intended to improve the overall quality of the forum, and not just a means of ranking up juniors. I don't really need merit points, but to me they indicate an appreciation by the community for a post I have made, or a thread I have started. If I don't receive any points for a topic, then I'll probably move on and leave that alone. For example, I've started a few threads that I thought would create interesting discussions, and in some cases they have, Some of the replies have generated merit points, but I have received nothing for starting the thread. This tends to make me feel that it is better for me to be reactive rather than proactive.

So the point I am making is that merit points give me feedback about my post quality. They also allow me to send points as a thank you to people that I think are helping the forum.
Activity: 266
Merit: 14
January 29, 2018, 05:16:12 PM
The idea consists in giving new members a certain amount of points (let's call them benefits for simplicity), which they can use to reward users helping them here. It is sort of reflection of the merit system working in reverse order. The purpose of the proposed system would be twofold. First, it is drawing the attention of the long-standing members to the problems of the new user, and second, likely making the latter more constructive by providing a feedback mechanism. So this system would run in tandem with the merit system. You're welcome to discuss my proposal here. Just in case, this is not my idea, it was suggested by user PhuketSunset in this local Russian topic. I only formulated it and brought it here

So give that user credit if you think they deserve it

Thanks deisik for creating a discussion and supporting my idea. I agree, it's still quite raw, but I hope that together with other users we will improve it to make the forum better.

The idea is to get feedback from the levels below Member, who now don't have the opportunity to award other sMerit.

In this case, it will not be sMerit, but, for example, some points. For example, 10 points for helping Newbie will equal one Merit.

And forum admins can set rules: you can not pass scores to Newbie, but only Junior and higher ranks. Thus, we will reduce problems with the transfer of points among multi-accounts.

I hope that you will understand my idea.
Activity: 238
Merit: 18
January 29, 2018, 07:46:51 AM
The idea consists in giving new members a certain amount of points (let's call them benefits for simplicity), which they can use to reward users helping them here. It is sort of reflection of the merit system working in reverse order. The purpose of the proposed system would be twofold. First, it is drawing the attention of the long-standing members to the problems of the new user, and second, likely making the latter more constructive by providing a feedback mechanism. So this system would run in tandem with the merit system. You're welcome to discuss my proposal here. Just in case, this is not my idea, it was suggested by user PhuketSunset in this local Russian topic. I only formulated it and brought it here

Sorry but no.
This would only cause a confusing creation of new accounts by spammers.
I also hate the current Merit system.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
January 29, 2018, 05:09:08 AM
And they won't rank you up if that was your point, so registering multiple accounts for the sole purpose of promoting a certain higher-rank member would be meaningless. I admit this is still a very raw idea but somehow I feel there is some sense in it. We should just find a way how we could create a positive feedback loop from newbies and junior members. That is to make the merit system complete by furnishing it with a two-directional feedback device (of which we have only one half)

Well, newbies can also earn sMerits by being given Merits, so that loop is already possible.

Still, this might be a good idea because there's currently little incentive for the older members to help out newbies knowing that they likely won't have any sMerits to give out (unless other older members see the random act of kindness I guess). The problem would lie in making sure the system doesn't encourage any more account farming, which is exactly what the Merit system hoped to combat, while making sure it gives enough incentives for older members to actually bother.

I personally think the Merit system is enough, except something has to be done with the scarcity (or general reluctance of awarding) of sMerits.

Honestly, these are my thoughts exactly

And I have to tell you that I don't feel like giving out rewards, so this is an apparent flaw, deficiency, or imperfection in this system. And making s-merits burn after some time is not going to change anything, at least as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather let them burn than give them to posters which I don't find worthy enough. And this is the gist of the matter. Old-timers here have become very pesky and meticulous about the quality and constructiveness (or lack thereof, huh) of the posts of other users, especially novice members. And this is where the benefit system could kick in and make the old-timers less reluctant. To sum it up, in addition to merits we also need a system that would incentivize higher ranks to share their s-merits with newbies
Activity: 1834
Merit: 759
January 29, 2018, 04:52:56 AM
And they won't rank you up if that was your point, so registering multiple accounts for the sole purpose of promoting a certain higher-rank member would be meaningless. I admit this is still a very raw idea but somehow I feel there is some sense in it. We should just find a way how we could create a positive feedback loop from newbies and junior members. That is to make the merit system complete by furnishing it with a two-directional feedback device (of which we have only one half)

Well, newbies can also earn sMerits by being given Merits, so that loop is already possible.

Still, this might be a good idea because there's currently little incentive for the older members to help out newbies knowing that they likely won't have any sMerits to give out (unless other older members see the random act of kindness I guess). The problem would lie in making sure the system doesn't encourage any more account farming, which is exactly what the Merit system hoped to combat, while making sure it gives enough incentives for older members to actually bother.

I personally think the Merit system is enough, except something has to be done with the scarcity (or general reluctance of awarding) of sMerits.
legendary
January 29, 2018, 04:43:13 AM

This is nice idea, but why dont you want to become a merit source and reward newbies yourself? Well if someone is thankful to a newbe he may say it to you, you may run some list of such users and potentially reward them in future.
   We need some constructive, active and trusted merit sourse in our local. I dont know you personally but I beleive you are decent candidate. Anyone is able to find hundreds of posts "that have not received nearly enough merit for how good they are" in your profile

Personally, I don't care a lot whether my posts are properly merited

Though I certainly care about their quality and usefulness. Regarding being a merit source myself, I'm already running something like what bill gator does here. But I decided to reward only newbies and juniors (since I'm not a merit source). So far I rewarded only one user from my community after I had started this endeavor (and he wasn't a novice member anyway). The other user to receive merit would likely be the one which I mentioned in the OP and whose idea I suggested above. But I expect them to put more effort in thinking it over. So I'm sort of middleman here really, though I like this idea myself (otherwise I wouldn't raise this question, obviously)
legendary
January 29, 2018, 03:27:44 AM
Great idea! However I dont think that Theymos will take it into consideration. I need merits too, but I don't think your solution is realistic.
This one might cause massive abusement in the forum from newbies. There will have tons of newbie accounts which created only for getting free merit scores and selling them to higher-rank members.

These benefits wouldn't and shouldn't be merits

Activity: 168
Merit: 0
January 29, 2018, 03:24:26 AM
Great idea! However I dont think that Theymos will take it into consideration. I need merits too, but I don't think your solution is realistic.
This one might cause massive abusement in the forum from newbies. There will have tons of newbie accounts which created only for getting free merit scores and selling them to higher-rank members.
legendary
January 29, 2018, 03:18:50 AM

A quick and dirty fix would be forbidding Legendary members to grant merits to other Legendary members (it is a waste of merits)
Pages:
Jump to: