Pages:
Author

Topic: Merits should be given for the lower ranks only. - page 2. (Read 761 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 436
dude, you have been given 52 merits in a week.. you cant be a shitposter..  so you are cool and gravy. Activity will be the only limiting factor for you, so just go about your day as usual. IMO theymos will end up increasing the sMerits given to sources every month x5 and increase the total number of sources x5 then there will be a fair distribution,  Until then there is likely to be a big lag and lots of moaning posts

Yes, I try to do useful posts as shitposting serves no purpose + it wastes my time as well. I didn't shitpost before those new rules and I certainly won't start now, but I'm not sure if everything is gravy, as you phrased it. I already had several situations where I thought about how I could get more Merit.
Just an example. Early on, I made a German infographic for the local forum. (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.29007624).
I posted it in the main Merit-thread (not pinned at that time) as I thought that it would add value and answer many questions that came up. I wrote OP that he could use it in his post. He got 50 Merit, I got 10 so far.
I thought about creating a new thread, modifying it a bit so that it wouldn't be a copy of his. That way, I would have gotten more Merits for sure, but decided against it, because I hate redundant threads myself.

My point here is: I don't like the way the new system lets us compete. Why wasn't the x5 of merit sources and spendable sMerit introduced in the first place? Why only give the minimum of Merit needed for the Rank and not doing a proportional distribution (activity >> merit)?

You yourself said that there will be a lag and lots of moaning posts. This could have been partially avoided. Now people will moan and they have reasons. It's just sad to see so many higher-ranking members who are annoyed by these posts instead of showing sympathy, they simply don't need to face the same situation. Patronizing behavior doesn't serve anyone (not saying you are doing it).

But sure, I will go about as usual and I hope that the increase in distributed sMerit will happen sooner rather than later as it is much needed so that we can forget about all this drama and continue with the reason we are all here for - crypto.
Activity: 284
Merit: 101
True.  It seems so hard to get a merit .. that it is seemingly impossible to increase in rank.
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462
https://JetCash.com
Merit points won't make any difference to me as a forum member - there really isn't much difference between a Hero and a Legendary when it comes to benefits.

However, what the awarding of merit points will do is to allow me to hone and focus my thread starting amd posting. No merit points for as category of posts means that nobody is interested, so I can stop posting about that topic, or in that form. The merit system has already made me change my attitude towards the forum. I have decided to explore and support the expanding world of crypto bounties which is such an important element on this forum.
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808
Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

newbies have not been given merit as there are so many farmers out there, how will that help the system? think of it like a champagne pyramid, the merit will get to the bottom eventually. Some of us are pouring it at all levels, others like Lauda will not give to anyone they do not know or deal with, but the main point is that it will trickle down in time.

I totally get what you are saying here. But that's not the point of all those posts many lower-ranking Members are creating in the last days. Sure, some try to get or 'farm' Merit but many refer to the highly subjective nature of the new system. The old one was objective and fair: more posts = higher rank over time. I understand why this leads to spam and I support measures that put an end to spam in the forum. But please understand that 'it will trickle down in time' is like your boss saying, 'sure, you did a good job, but I can't pay all of you. But be assured, you'll be paid eventually.'

As long as there is money involved, being able to distribute sMerit is a form of power and if this power is distributed subjectively, people will always feel left out. That's just the way things are. It doesn't help when Members who have this power (and tend to give it to their own more freely) say that everything is fine. Sure, it is a new rule and can't be changed, so people better get used to it, but it's not 'fine'.

I hope you don't get me wrong here. I accepted the new rules - obviously, otherwise I could just leave - and I try to adapt. But I keep seeing higher ranking Members who try to argue that everything is ok and that it will sort itself out eventually. People have to accept the new system but you can't will it a fair system by repeating that everything is ok  Wink

dude, you have been given 52 merits in a week.. you cant be a shitposter..  so you are cool and gravy. Activity will be the only limiting factor for you, so just go about your day as usual. IMO theymos will end up increasing the sMerits given to sources every month x5 and increase the total number of sources x5 then there will be a fair distribution,  Until then there is likely to be a big lag and lots of moaning posts

newbies have not been given merit as there are so many farmers out there, how will that help the system? think of it like a champagne pyramid, the merit will get to the bottom eventually. Some of us are pouring it at all levels, others like Lauda will not give to anyone they do not know or deal with, but the main point is that it will trickle down in time.

I totally get what you are saying here. But that's not the point of all those posts many lower-ranking Members are creating in the last days. Sure, some try to get or 'farm' Merit but many refer to the highly subjective nature of the new system. The old one was objective and fair: more posts = higher rank over time. I understand why this leads to spam and I support measures that put an end to spam in the forum. But please understand that 'it will trickle down in time' is like your boss saying, 'sure, you did a good job, but I can't pay all of you. But be assured, you'll be paid eventually.'

As long as there is money involved, being able to distribute sMerit is a form of power and if this power is distributed subjectively, people will always feel left out. That's just the way things are. It doesn't help when Members who have this power (and tend to give it to their own more freely) say that everything is fine. Sure, it is a new rule and can't be changed, so people better get used to it, but it's not 'fine'.

I hope you don't get me wrong here. I accepted the new rules - obviously, otherwise I could just leave - and I try to adapt. But I keep seeing higher-ranking Members who try to argue that everything is ok and that it will sort itself out eventually. People have to accept the new system but you can't will it a fair system by repeating that everything is ok  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808
Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do
Sr. Member, Hero and Legendary do they need a merits? These rank should be exempted on merits systems instead they are the one who will judge the lower ranks by giving merits.

These could benefit the forum members as a whole;

1. Newbies that work as a spam will be controlled.
2. It will give an opportunity those newbies that really working hard to rank up in fair time.
    (I saw a lot merits just given to the the higher ranks which a post is not really worthy of a merit. majority of the merits just dwell in their realm. Lower
    ranks just gets the crumbs)
3. Merits will be distributed fairly to the lower ranks because higher ranks will not think of their merits anymore.

'Hope this post can get crumbs.'

Blatant Merit farming like this just wont work..

Why would I give random spammers any merit? E.g., this thread is a nice example of attempted, yet failed, quality posting.

That's a bit harsh to say, don't you think? People try to cope with this new situation and it's only natural that different people have different ideas and views. He just expressed his.

As I understood it, he maybe meant to exclude those higher ranks from the necessity of getting Merits in the first place while at the same time grant them the function of a merit source. You can't deny that higher ranks often get a higher amount of merit compared to lower ranks - sometimes without even having made a 'quality post'. That's no problem per se - at least for me - but people observe this and voice their concern. This will fade in time but for now, it's something that will be discussed in the forum and people will try to come up with a 'better' way - at least in their eyes.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1015
Every people have their own choice , judgement,and opinion about who deserve the merit.
If newbie able create a post like Danny Hamilton's post , he deserve a merit but if newbie is just looking for minimal post count because of bounty's need than he did not deserve any single merit (* if he provide low quality )

I think Merit will change forum's quality in the future so let's just see the progress
Activity: 294
Merit: 10
Yes, I know this, just want to show that current numbers are far from enough for forum. And such a low number of merit don't give us an ability to use it as it was supposed to.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1989
฿uy ฿itcoin
Spammers don't deserve merit for sure, but the question is what kind of posts deserves? As is was declared merit is needed to reduce low-quality posts. Yes, spam and posts alike "I agree" aren't quality posts, but for example are posts in altcoins discussion about news, developers, etc useful? In my, opinion, yes. But mostly, they don't have +merit. What kind of posts have +merit? As I see, it is one of the following: outstanding posts, topicstarters, or posts with some features, programs, spreadsheets, infografics for example, so +merit is given not for post, but for result of work.
There will be about 18000 new smerit each month including redistribution, so this is only for 600 posts if 1 merit is given to each. Only outstanding posts will receive merit, and rarely just good and useful.

Theymos will add more merit sources so the amount of sMerit that can be given away will increase. Keep in mind that the system is only a few days old, give people time to discover and use it.
Activity: 294
Merit: 10
Spammers don't deserve merit for sure, but the question is what kind of posts deserves? As is was declared merit is needed to reduce low-quality posts. Yes, spam and posts alike "I agree" aren't quality posts, but for example are posts in altcoins discussion about news, developers, etc useful? In my, opinion, yes. But mostly, they don't have +merit. What kind of posts have +merit? As I see, it is one of the following: outstanding posts, topicstarters, or posts with some features, programs, spreadsheets, infografics for example, so +merit is given not for post, but for result of work.
There will be about 18000 new smerit each month including redistribution, so this is only for 600 posts if 1 merit is given to each. Only outstanding posts will receive merit, and rarely just good and useful.
Activity: 938
Merit: 276
even you are receiving merits you dont bother to give to the lower ranks. what makes a difference then?
Why would I give random spammers any merit? E.g., this thread is a nice example of attempted, yet failed, quality posting.

lower ranks are spammers ?

Lauda you a fucking peace of shit who needs to get placed back in his place where he belongs.

You are the biggest scammer and loser on this board

and btw your posting are the biggest brain fucked shit ever.

Lauda wants to force project managers and ITO's to accept his own made rules or else he is going to defame them.

What a brain fucked shit he is
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
even you are receiving merits you dont bother to give to the lower ranks. what makes a difference then?
Activity: 72
Merit: 0
Sr. Member, Hero and Legendary do they need a merits?
Yes.

These rank should be exempted on merits systems instead they are the one who will judge the lower ranks by giving merits.
No.

No.

2. It will give an opportunity those newbies that really working hard to rank up in fair time.
If you are *really working hard to rank up*, you are doing it wrong and shouldn't be allowed to rank up to begin with.

3. Merits will be distributed fairly to the lower ranks because higher ranks will not think of their merits anymore.
No. The exact opposite will happen. If I can't receive merit, I would probably not bother giving anyone any. 
Activity: 210
Merit: 103
I think what he is saying is the top rankings should just get unlimited merit to give and progress normally to the next level.  They pass their merit down to the lower rankings.

He’s got a point, if the merit system is supposed to prevent spamming and farming, then I guess it is unlikely that higher ranked members would be spammers and farmed accounts.  Plus, once you reach a certain level of merit, 250 for a Sr Member, it is probably already well established that you are not a shit poster.  Needing 750 more to make legendary seems like overkill.
Activity: 1176
Merit: 301
Merit isn't about rank it is about the quality of your post so I think it is for everyone not just for the lower ranks,
The merit system is created to lessen the spammers who are just spamming this forum to attain higher ranks .
This is why the merit is a good way for others to make sure that they are only posting a good quality of topics or answers.
Activity: 392
Merit: 103
Merits should be given to everyone not just those on lower ranks but also to higher ranks to be fair and to avoid meaningless post of the latter. I don't think we should be afraid of the merit system as long as we know that we always have post that is relevant to the topic and meaningful as well.
Yes, you are right. I like the new system. Merit will be change someone to make post more constructive because they want get the merit. So, make your post more constructive again to get many more merits  Wink
Activity: 182
Merit: 12
Merits should be given to everyone not just those on lower ranks but also to higher ranks to be fair and to avoid meaningless post of the latter. I don't think we should be afraid of the merit system as long as we know that we always have post that is relevant to the topic and meaningful as well.
Activity: 182
Merit: 14
Sr. Member, Hero and Legendary do they need a merits? These rank should be exempted on merits systems instead they are the one who will judge the lower ranks by giving merits.

We all have the same rights to evaluate each other answers and questions. This current situation in which the older members have received More Merit is our personal problem (or the problem of members who did join the forum later). We have to learn to deal with the changes because changes will always evolve. The system has been designed to reduce spamming and low-quality posts, and it's a fact that older members have greater knowledge and experience in opposite to those who just joined the forum(Elders had deserved that wast amount of merit).

It is fantastically designed concept and those which do not want to accept that concept can freely join another forum in search for the answers. (It is generally known that a new rating system is bothering the members looking for the easy money). Merit will provide the new opportunity to the forum to return to the old paths when people had something meaningful to say and actually had led a real and unique discussion and not just a copy/paste answers and questions.

Be unique and committed to the forum and Merits will come "alone"!
Activity: 938
Merit: 276
Sr. Member, Hero and Legendary do they need a merits?
Yes.

These rank should be exempted on merits systems instead they are the one who will judge the lower ranks by giving merits.
No.

No.

If you are *really working hard to rank up*, you are doing it wrong and shouldn't be allowed to rank up to begin with.

No. The exact opposite will happen. If I can't receive merit, I would probably not bother giving anyone any.  

Lauda and his group are already abusing the merit system.Do it the same way since they claim its ok

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2829282.new#new
Pages:
Jump to: