Pages:
Author

Topic: Methods of Coping with Food Shortages and High Prices - page 3. (Read 401 times)

legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses
Most of those suggestions are just not what everybody can do. If you got a large family and live in an apartment, where are you going to grow all those vegetables? And even if you got the space you probably won’t be able to grow it fast enough.

I agree with stock piling with bulk on some certain food groups. During covid many people bought tons of rice and flour and most are probably going to do that soon.

Making people eat less is not a good solution because even if someone is over weight and can eat less they will suffer in the process.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 2017
LOL. The best way to cope with food shortages is to fast.

With the amount of body fat that people around the world have left over, even in poor countries, they have enough reserves to last for many months, just by drinking water and salt.

Just in a post yesterday I was talking about something similar.

The amount of land you need to produce enough food for you for a year and in a varied way is enormous, and you could not work it all. Even less without machines.

There is an idyllic vision of the past that believes it would be wonderful to go back to living in the countryside and working the land and raising animals to produce your food. Those who think that have no idea how much it costs to produce the food they eat all year round, let alone with the variety available to us. And I'm not just talking about money or resources. I'm talking about the physical effort it would take to produce a small part of what you eat.

Growing a few plants indoors and some in small pots will give you two bites but if there is a real situation of serious shortage in the long term, it will not solve anything. And even less if you plant fruits, which will cut off your ketosis.

I don't pray, but whoever does should pray that there is not a serious and long term shortage situation because many people are going to have a very bad time; and planting plants indoors and/or in pots, or having an acre of land will solve little.

Activity: 454
Merit: 10
having your own plantation is one solution to overcome the problem of rising food prices ... in my own country our president in recent years has promoted actions for citizens to develop their own plantations in their yards, for example planting carrots, chilies, etc,, this raw material will be consumed by the residents themselves or sold back to the market
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

An easy way to play increasingly high prices are the below ETFs (exchange traded funds, buy & sell like stocks):

Ticker DBA:  Invesco DB Agriculture Fund (various ag commodities)
Ticker CORN:  Teucrium Corn Fund
Ticker WEAT:  Teucrium Wheat Fund

"Paper Food".  If you're OK with just betting on the price movements, the above are very easy assuming you already can buy stocks, and will work (I own some DBA).  Take a look at DBA recent price movements:

https://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=DBA&ty=c&ta=1&p=d
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
I just feel like real estate it way too risky to hold in the long term.

You are not owning the actual real estate but rather the piece of paper that grants you title to the land. Which can be obviously retracted from you at any given time if the government decides to do so.

Also, it's not accessible - there is no access for people with net worth of at least $100-200k in savings.

Cryptoassets and precious metals remain the strongest options in the inflation hedge category imo.

I posted that response in the wrong thread, it should have gone here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.59678694
Activity: 1526
Merit: 596
I just feel like real estate it way too risky to hold in the long term.

You are not owning the actual real estate but rather the piece of paper that grants you title to the land. Which can be obviously retracted from you at any given time if the government decides to do so.

Also, it's not accessible - there is no access for people with net worth of at least $100-200k in savings.

Cryptoassets and precious metals remain the strongest options in the inflation hedge category imo.

EDIT: This was before the edit, but still somewhat applicable.

I'm personally prepping canned some canned food but have not moved to full-on self-sufficiency.

Imo the problem is more with inflation and not supply chains, so if you have a few weeks/months of nonperishables prepped, a stable source of income, and inflation hedges, you'll be good.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
Methods of Coping with Food Shortages and High Prices

Indoor UV Grow Lights

These can be acquired affordably on amazon and other global distributors. I have 2 that I've used for small plants. They work well, lights with lower power need to be a close distance from plants to be effective. A decent option for interior growers who lack the outdoor growing option.

Outdoor Grafted Fruit Tree

Most believe only big trees produce fruit. This is due to fruit trees requiring 4+ years of time to go from a planted seed to a fruit producing tree. However, this time scale can be decreased by grafting the branch from a mature tree onto the stem of a juvenile. This process can shave years off the maturing process, allowing relatively small trees to produce fruits in a smaller area. This could open the door to those with limited space having their own trees capable of producing fruits.

Stockpiles of Wheat or Rice

These are common staple foods for doomsdayers preparing for the end of the world. Which tends to give them a negative reputation, but they were and possibly still are a good solution. Stockpiled wheat can be ground up to make flour. Which can be used to make spaghetti noodles, bread, pizza dough, tortillas, etc. Wheat in cans or buckets for long term storage used to be very cheap and affordable. Rice is very similar except its not as versatile or diverse, in terms of it being used to make many different things.

Wheat used to be a very affordable option, recently prices over the past few years have inflated considerably.

Please share if you have other good information.

Pages:
Jump to: