Pages:
Author

Topic: Microsoft tells users to stop using strong passwords everywhere - page 2. (Read 5712 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250
I've been writing all my passwords down in a little book for the past 13 years. Amazingly, it's never been hacked into. Seriously, it's the best solution. If i lost the book, which doesn't seem likely, I guess I'd just reset the passwords.
I think this is very risky. If your "password book" were to get stolen, not only would all your accounts get hacked, but you would not have access to any of your accounts that an attacker doesn't think are worth his time.
Activity: 378
I've been writing all my passwords down in a little book for the past 13 years. Amazingly, it's never been hacked into. Seriously, it's the best solution. If i lost the book, which doesn't seem likely, I guess I'd just reset the passwords.
Activity: 350
There's a lot of sense in this: hackers aren't going to spend much effort hacking passwords into accounts that are of no value e.g. an account on a recruitment site unless they believe you're using the same one as you do for your banking or e-mail accounts, and if not, then they expend a lot of effort for nothing.
I set totally different password criteria for e-mail and banking/ecommerce websites than I do for less sensitive sites, which makes the few high security passwords I have easier to remember.
Activity: 826
Merit: 501
in defi we trust
Following this same logic, I have replaced the locks on my house with strips of duct tape.

Something like this ?
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
Following this same logic, I have replaced the locks on my house with strips of duct tape.
in defi we trust
You don't need to remember passwords. Just always use the "forgot my password" link and get a new auto-generated one every time you want to use the site. If they don't assign a temporary one, just cut and paste a whole paragraph from an arbitrary web page that you happen have open. You don't have to remember anything if you reset every time you want to log in.

Don't do this.
At least add a number or a %^& . A paragraph in English is such an easy target.

Suprisingly no, it's not. Atleast for sufficiently long paragraph of rare text. There is rather large number of common English words. 5 or so of these gives good security. As long as paragraph isn't: correct horse battery staple

This is the problem. Most passwords are capped at below 15-20 characters. That's 4-5 words.
ps.

https://blockchain.info/address/1JwSSubhmg6iPtRjtyqhUYYH7bZg3Lfy1T
People are still using that crap .

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
You don't need to remember passwords. Just always use the "forgot my password" link and get a new auto-generated one every time you want to use the site. If they don't assign a temporary one, just cut and paste a whole paragraph from an arbitrary web page that you happen have open. You don't have to remember anything if you reset every time you want to log in.

Don't do this.

Suprisingly no, it's not. Atleast for sufficiently long paragraph of rare text. There is rather large number of common English words. 5 or so of these gives good security. As long as paragraph isn't: correct horse battery staple
in defi we trust

Don't do this.
Activity: 994
Merit: 441
in defi we trust
The importance a lot of people attach to such a topic never ceases to amaze me.
If someone wants your data and you do have something significant online - they will get it.
If you really do think its too important to be shared why the hell is it online (or on a PC to be more precise) in the first place?Huh
Of course things are never quite that black and white, but I can't help feeling a lot of the time that a lot of people make a decent wedge out of talking crap about passwords and data security.

So if my girlfriend want to read let's say my emails there is no way I can fully protect them?
We're talking about things you want to protect from a random thief not from the government.
Activity: 364
The importance a lot of people attach to such a topic never ceases to amaze me.
If someone wants your data and you do have something significant online - they will get it.
If you really do think its too important to be shared why the hell is it online (or on a PC to be more precise) in the first place?Huh
Of course things are never quite that black and white, but I can't help feeling a lot of the time that a lot of people make a decent wedge out of talking crap about passwords and data security.
Write on a piece of paper and put it on your wallet. No need to memorize those strong passwords. Smiley

I did that once with a email account and forgot to pull that paper out of my trousers before putting them in the washing machine, remembered the secret question thankfully.

My usual password is 13-17 characters long, with a mix of upper/lower case, and numbers.. Its easy to remember bc I use it often. 7 letter password doesnt seem safe to me for online banking. I thought it was odd they only allowed 7 characters aswell..
in defi we trust
Users should use and reuse weak passwords for websites which don't hold valuable information, say researchers from Microsoft, overturning decades of accumulated wisdom on internet security.

By not having to worry about remembering complex unique passwords for every individual website, users can focus their efforts on recalling secure passwords for high-value sites like banking or e-commerce.

I don't see the "everywhere" from your title.

Another article for hits made by theguardian

My online banker doesnt allow a password over 7 characters long. Thats not secure now is it.. I thought this was such a joke I brought it up to the customer service, and they really had nothing to say.. Seriously...?

My online banking account requires a second code sent to my personal phone (2FA).
Also all the banks here rely either on a sms code or a token for extra security.

And I live in Romania......
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
Write on a piece of paper and put it on your wallet. No need to memorize those strong passwords. Smiley

I did that once with a email account and forgot to pull that paper out of my trousers before putting them in the washing machine, remembered the secret question thankfully.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
My online banker doesnt allow a password over 7 characters long. Thats not secure now is it.. I thought this was such a joke I brought it up to the customer service, and they really had nothing to say.. Seriously...?

Having an online password of 7 characters is fairly secure.  You can't brute force a web password if they programmed it correctly.
7 characters would be something like 12,000 hours on a really crummy pc.  So better machines would reduce that a lot.  So 7 certainly is crackable.
Activity: 448
Is this Microsoft's way of saying that their involvement in PRISM et al has proven difficult, that their backdoors aren't working for them and that we should make passwords easier for them to crack? What a tit.
 Always use a complex password with uppercase, lowercase, numbers and special characters where allowed.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970

Having an online password of 7 characters is fairly secure.  You can't brute force a web password if they programmed it correctly.
Users should use and reuse weak passwords for websites which don't hold valuable information, say researchers from Microsoft, overturning decades of accumulated wisdom on internet security.

By not having to worry about remembering complex unique passwords for every individual website, users can focus their efforts on recalling secure passwords for high-value sites like banking or e-commerce.

I don't see the "everywhere" from your title.

Another article for hits made by theguardian

Activity: 105
Merit: 10
legendary
Activity: 1001
Merit: 1005
or use a password manager and memorize only one strong password.
Pages:
Jump to: