Pages:
Author

Topic: Microsoft tells users to stop using strong passwords everywhere - page 3. (Read 5712 times)

Activity: 798
Merit: 500
Time is on our side, yes it is!
I already do this.  I have a few differnt ones on sites I'm unsure of and more complex variations for more important needs.  When I go to an unimportant site I have an idea right away what the password would be based on it's importance to me and then I usually guess right after a couple tries.  Best to write the unimportant ones down and put them someplace safe.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
flash drive! no brain memory required.  Only password I memorize is email in case I need it on the go.  But ya, I'm not going to waste my time with a strong password for a site with no important info.  I like how my school requires "strong" passwords, I'm so afraid that someone will get into my account and do my homework for me

Or lastpass. I haven't tried it personally but I've heard some VERY good things about it.
Activity: 135
Merit: 100
flash drive! no brain memory required.  Only password I memorize is email in case I need it on the go.  But ya, I'm not going to waste my time with a strong password for a site with no important info.  I like how my school requires "strong" passwords, I'm so afraid that someone will get into my account and do my homework for me
Well how much "brain power" is really used in strong passwords? Personally, I have an algorithm that I use to memorize all my passwords. But if the algo is leaked somehow some of my passwords could be comprised. So that's risky, but then again, I don't waste any "brain power" lol.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
They should tell users to spend 1 month or 2 in some memorization course, then no more need to worry about wasting brain hash power with passwords.
What about having one strong password for some kind of keychain (with proper backups) that would remember all of the very strong passwords for each site?
Activity: 672
Most users believe their best password is strong while it is not. If they are allowed to use their weak passwords, it will be too weak.  Shocked
Activity: 728
I have had this stance for long. Let's take places like random forums and semi-useful services that don't carry any financial risks or allow access to other places, is strong passwords really needed in those?
Activity: 826
Merit: 501
in defi we trust
Users should use and reuse weak passwords for websites which don't hold valuable information, say researchers from Microsoft, overturning decades of accumulated wisdom on internet security.

By not having to worry about remembering complex unique passwords for every individual website, users can focus their efforts on recalling secure passwords for high-value sites like banking or e-commerce.

I don't see the "everywhere" from your title.

Another article for hits made by theguardian
legendary
Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

Microsoft tells users to stop using strong passwords everywhere

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jul/16/microsoft-stop-using-strong-passwords-everywhere

<< Weak passwords have their place, argues new research from Microsoft, and they help users conserve brainpower for where it is needed. >>
Pages:
Jump to: