Pages:
Author

Topic: Miners: Time to deprioritise/filter address reuse! - page 10. (Read 51790 times)

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074
I assume this cannot affect the prioritisation of the Coinbase transaction that constitutes p2pool miner's reward payments? Can you clarify this?

The coinbase tx itself?  No (it would be in the block you solve, nothing can change that).
Spending the outputs of the coinbase tx?  Yes.

p2pool could implement BIP32 or in the interim given that p2pool nodes also run bitcoind could just implement a direct getnewaddress() RPC call after any successful block to ensure future blocks use a unique address.

I'm not sure which I prefer, an RPC call to generate a new random address, or supplying a keychain of addresses that are predetermined... I guess it depends on whether the keychain appears on the blockchain or is made public through the p2pool network. I can't think of a reason for the latter to happen, I don't see how other p2pool nodes need the keychain itself, they should only need the latest iteration of address from within the keychain sequence. But this all depends on how p2pool and BIP32 neccesarily operate (and how the pair of them operate together).

forrestv, LukeJr, anyone else who can shine a light: we welcome your comments
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
I'm not a miner but I just discovered this important thread.  Excuse me if this has already been covered (thread now too long to read in full) but let me share my 2 satoshis:

I setup all my "converts" with the blockchain.info wallet on a smart phone.  People just send and receive to the same address over and over and I can see all the money flows into and out of their account.  You can't tell them to do anything different--they *think* they don't care, and besides it can't really be done on blockchain.info for mobile anyways. Most new users don't realize the potential for future privacy/security problems with address re-use.

I like Luke's idea because it would incentivize people like piuk to implement BIP32 for the main web wallet on blockchain.info.  Users would just see a balance in their "spend" account and the fact that a new address is being created for each transaction would be invisible to them.  This adds no complexity that I can see, but lots of privacy and security.  It seems only a good thing. 

Yup. That is the important part.  Luke's patch can't FORCE anyone to use unique addresses however it can provide an incentive and if/when more of the hashpower implements it the incentive grows.  Without any incentive we likely will be in the exact same situation a year from now.  The current "lazy" static address use scenario is the easiest to implement.  Privacy minded miners can push for this patch which provides an incentive to make the Bitcoin network more what they want it to be.   Voting for change with hashpower.

donator
Gerald Davis
I assume this cannot affect the prioritisation of the Coinbase transaction that constitutes p2pool miner's reward payments? Can you clarify this?

The coinbase tx itself?  No (it would be in the block you solve, nothing can change that).
Spending the outputs of the coinbase tx?  Yes.

p2pool could implement BIP32 or in the interim given that p2pool nodes also run bitcoind could just implement a direct getnewaddress() RPC call after any successful block to ensure future blocks use a unique address.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

As I understand it, P2Pool needs to implement BIP32 as well.

I think we all need to lobbying pools and wallets to pull their act together and implement this asap.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Let the chips fall where they may.

As I understand it, P2Pool needs to implement BIP32 as well.
donator
Gerald Davis
I like what's being done here. At first glance, it seems rather rushed to throw this into miners straight away; but I guess it could be looked at as a shot across the bow, since it doesn't break any kind of transaction right now, just makes a certain subset slightly slower.

Well so far only one major pool (plus maybe a few solo miners) is using it.  That is the nice thing about decentralized network.  Some parts can try out new code (outside of core protocol) at different times.   Right now 15% of hashpower is using this.   Maybe by the time BIP32 is more ubiquitous 80% of the hashpower will be using it.
legendary
I will most definitely be using this patched client with my p2pool node.

But I also agree that we should not be enforcing any absolutely transaction exclusion policy on an address basis. HD wallets are not implemented yet, I'm not sure that the standard has even been totally finalised. De-prioritisation sets the right balance until the landscape of listing develops further, we must in the meantime educate users across the whole community of users about the issues surrounding all of this.

Edit: Question to Luke Jr.

legendary

The software ecosystem is missing a useful piece:

When you are receiving regular payouts, from a job salary or mining pool for example, there needs to be address rotation.

Right now, the only way to do that is manually logging into the payer's website, and replacing the current payout address with a new one.

Software should communicate with the payer, or give the payer a list of addresses, or an HD seed that may generate additional public keys, etc.

Address reuse in these circumstances is annoying, hurting privacy, but inevitable until software improves.

All yes.

This is (basically) my argument at the moment against this.  In the case of BTC Guild, the *highest* level of security an account can have is locking the wallet address.  With this, you can not change it unless you digitally sign a message using the private key, confirming ownership.  Removing the lock is a manual process, nothing on the site is capable of removing the wallet lock once it's in place (even an SQL injection would not be able to do it due to lack of permissions).

No.

Similarly, it discourages automatic payouts, since those would use the same address every time unless changed.  The last thing I want is automatic payouts adding hassle, considering they're the best way to encourage users to not use the pool as a bank.

BIP32

The only fix on this I can see would be on my end adding some kind of "wallet queue" to accounts where they can pre-make a batch of wallets to use (maybe even using the BIP32 suggestions), but my limited knowledge of BIP32 leads me to believe this would still require manual entry on the user part.  If somebody else could generate the chain of public addresses to use, it seems like it wouldn't be very anonymous (they'd actually be able to follow all your transactions forever on that wallet-chain?).

No. More than one chain. BIP32.
Activity: 469
Merit: 253

Also, I stumbled across this by accident. Shouldn't something like this be disseminated to the broad community? Maybe I missed it, if so apologies.

I agree.  I just discovered this thread this morning by accident and then learn about this effective yet non-invasive way to incentive privacy.  We've been discussing black/white/red listing in the main discussion area and this idea has not been given its due share of attention.  

Perhaps someone with more activity points than me should post this topic in the main discussion area....

I'll link it to reddit. Perhaps the peanut gallery redditors will appreciate it Smiley

Edit: scratch that, it's already up: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qpay8/eligius_pools_response_to_coinvalidation_nonesense/
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

Also, I stumbled across this by accident. Shouldn't something like this be disseminated to the broad community? Maybe I missed it, if so apologies.

I agree.  I just discovered this thread this morning by accident and then learn about this effective yet non-invasive way to incentive privacy.  We've been discussing black/white/red listing in the main discussion area and this idea has not been given its due share of attention.   

Perhaps someone with more activity points than me should post this topic in the main discussion area....
Activity: 469
Merit: 253
I like what's being done here. At first glance, it seems rather rushed to throw this into miners straight away; but I guess it could be looked at as a shot across the bow, since it doesn't break any kind of transaction right now, just makes a certain subset slightly slower.

A third thought cropped up: put yourself in place of the regulator determined to implement rainbow-lists or whatever they're called nowadays. The first thing you're going to see is miners deliberately blocking your ability to trace "illicit payments". So you go after the miners ... wouldn't it be ironic if, by attacking large mining pools, the regulators pushed Bitcoin back into a totally decentralised mining model (maybe with less hashing power to start with, but not for long)? (yeah I know it's mostly nonsense what with the international nature of mining, but a fun thought).
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
First off, thank you for taking initiative and time to explain.

Another reason not to reuse addresses for sending is a compromised RNG. You may recall the issue with Android just recently. Only worked because private keys were reused for signatures.

http://crypto.stackexchange.com/questions/9694/technical-details-of-attack-on-android-bitcoin-usage-of-securerandom
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
this is a real good idea with some small road bumps which can be solved.

I see:

Mining pools with a auto payout, slight problem here. I dont want to change my payout adress every 2 days... But maybe you can import a batch of addresses or maybe there is some way to link your wallet api with your pool to auto generate an adress. Not really sure about that since im not really a professional programmer.

Bitcoin wallet software should Automaticaly generate an adress whenever you send BTC.

Bet there is more bumps but these came to my mind now

BIP32 means you can give the pool your public key and it can generate a new pubic address for you.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
I'm not a miner but I just discovered this important thread.  Excuse me if this has already been covered (thread now too long to read in full) but let me share my 2 satoshis:

I setup all my "converts" with the blockchain.info wallet on a smart phone.  People just send and receive to the same address over and over and I can see all the money flows into and out of their account.  You can't tell them to do anything different--they *think* they don't care, and besides it can't really be done on blockchain.info for mobile anyways. Most new users don't realize the potential for future privacy/security problems with address re-use.

I like Luke's idea because it would incentivize people like piuk to implement BIP32 for the main web wallet on blockchain.info.  Users would just see a balance in their "spend" account and the fact that a new address is being created for each transaction would be invisible to them.  This adds no complexity that I can see, but lots of privacy and security.  It seems only a good thing.  
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
this is a real good idea with some small road bumps which can be solved.

I see:

Mining pools with a auto payout, slight problem here. I dont want to change my payout adress every 2 days... But maybe you can import a batch of addresses or maybe there is some way to link your wallet api with your pool to auto generate an adress. Not really sure about that since im not really a professional programmer.

Bitcoin wallet software should Automaticaly generate an adress whenever you send BTC.

Bet there is more bumps but these came to my mind now
donator
Gerald Davis

People already have the right incentives to not re-use coins (privacy).

This is not the case.  My privacy is not an incentive for someone who wants to pay me coin, nor for someone whom I want to pay coin to.  It is only an incentive for me, and I need the cooperation of these other parties to make it work.  In the absence of some further incentive that works for all the parties involved, privacy simply has not happened and evidently will not happen.

It's nice to think it's "coming" in these newer clients, but my privacy is more secure, AFAICT, if when it does so people have some substantial reason to *USE* and *PREFER* these features of the newer clients. Otherwise I wind up out on the short end of the stick dealing with people who don't want the new client for some reason and who aren't sufficiently inconvenienced by my lack of privacy to care.

This.  Privacy doesn't end at a single persons addresses.  It involves everyone one you interact with and everyone they interact with.  One can be perfectly anonymous and if the people they interact with are not well that can provide an indirect method of identifying transactions.
donator
Gerald Davis
This would be all well and good if every wallet client (or even most of them) actually, you know, implemented BIP32! As it is, the best you can do is point me to a python tool? I'm capable of using it, but that just seems like a massive pain in the ass to go to. (Oh look, someone used another one of my addresses! Better boot to linux, generate the private key, and import it into my wallet!) And that's for me, a software engineer. What about the less tech-savvy users?

Really as a tech savy person you can't think of a better workaround?  How about generate and import 1,000 private keys.  Then when you need to change the address simply use the python tool to find the next one in the sequence.

Moreover, most Bitcoin-related websites don't have BIP32 support either! They take one address for withdrawals. Some allow you to give multiple addresses, if they're a bit fancier, but even then, I'm supposed to post 50 addresses and log in to switch the address every time I get a payout?

Well they won't until there is a reason to do so and the patch gives them a reason.  In the interim if a site allows posting 50 addresses why would you need to manually change them.  It would be a trivial amount of coding for a site to use the next one automatically and notify you when the queue is low or out.  Still BIP32 is a better longer term solution.  However if sites don't implement them you can still use funds with a small disincentive.  That would encourage people to use sites which do promote single use addresses.

And then there's Blockchain.info. Did you know Blockchain.info wallets reuse addresses by default unless you create new ones?

Then encourage blockchain.info to change their default behavior.  The issue of reuse has been known since a YEAR PRIOR to the genesis block.  It is unlikely without an incentive anything will change.  Lastly remember this doesn't prohibit reuse, it doesn't make coins sent to a used address lost, it doesn't even mean higher mandatory fees.  It is merely delaying secondary spends from the same address.

I appreciate the intent behind this proposal, but I don't think we're ready for this change yet. I do agree that we need to do this at some point in the future, but shouldn't we, you know, roll out the infrastructure necessary to make it actually workable first?

Chicken or the egg.  Without the incentive will the infrastructure ever exist.  Blockchain.info could easily (within minutes) change their code.  Will they?  Probably not.  Not until users complain.  Will users complain unless their is an incentive?  Once again probably not.  It isn't like Bitcoin just launched.  There has been years to do things right and the lazy, easy approach has been used in most cases.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

People already have the right incentives to not re-use coins (privacy).

This is not the case.  My privacy is not an incentive for someone who wants to pay me coin, nor for someone whom I want to pay coin to.  It is only an incentive for me, and I need the cooperation of these other parties to make it work.  In the absence of some further incentive that works for all the parties involved, privacy simply has not happened and evidently will not happen.

It's nice to think it's "coming" in these newer clients, but my privacy is more secure, AFAICT, if when it does so people have some substantial reason to *USE* and *PREFER* these features of the newer clients. Otherwise I wind up out on the short end of the stick dealing with people who don't want the new client for some reason and who aren't sufficiently inconvenienced by my lack of privacy to care.

Activity: 360
Merit: 250
Hmm, I only scan read this thread, but as bitcoinj based wallets are one of the primary guilty parties in address re-use I'll just pop in to give my view:

"Guilty" is rather too strong a word, especially given that a library like bitcoinj sits fairly distant from the wallet UIs, which is where the flags and cautions need to be shown to the user.

What would be very nice to see as at least a minor mitigation here would be wallet clients presenting users with an additional challenge when attempting to send to an address the client has already spent to. That only takes a chink out of the systemic problem under discussion, but has a nice side effect in reducing the risk of a mis-click someplace leading to an unintended irrevocable spend to an incorrect address (which, er, I've done more than once).

People already have the right incentives to not re-use coins (privacy). SPV wallets suck at it today because I chose backup safety over privacy, but BIP32 let's us have our cake and eat it in that regard and it's now being implemented. So at some point SPV wallets will update and addresses will start automatically changing, users won't have to do anything. I'm figuring out ways existing wallets can be upgraded in place.

Cool. I'd be thrilled if wallet clients used the BIP32 scheme as the default. It's a win for the whole ecosystem -- provided that, in light of the use cases above and others -- the choice to re-use addresses is not phased out.

Punishing address re-use NOW, when many users who are doing it don't have any good way to stop, is just attempting to pressure volunteer wallet developers through their userbase. That's not cool. I already spend a lot of my spare time at evenings and weekends fixing bugs and keeping up with the Bitcoin protocol (20% only gets you so far and can't always be taken). Being "forced" to do it by punishing my users would be quite upsetting, especially as it's coming anyway and Bitcoin-Qt itself doesn't even implement BIP32 properly yet (AFAIK only Electrum has done this?).

Another very good perspective on this.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
This would be all well and good if every wallet client (or even most of them) actually, you know, implemented BIP32! As it is, the best you can do is point me to a python tool? I'm capable of using it, but that just seems like a massive pain in the ass to go to. (Oh look, someone used another one of my addresses! Better boot to linux, generate the private key, and import it into my wallet!) And that's for me, a software engineer. What about the less tech-savvy users?

Moreover, most Bitcoin-related websites don't have BIP32 support either! They take one address for withdrawals. Some allow you to give multiple addresses, if they're a bit fancier, but even then, I'm supposed to post 50 addresses and log in to switch the address every time I get a payout?

And then there's Blockchain.info. Did you know Blockchain.info wallets reuse addresses by default unless you create new ones?

I appreciate the intent behind this proposal, but I don't think we're ready for this change yet. I do agree that we need to do this at some point in the future, but shouldn't we, you know, roll out the infrastructure necessary to make it actually workable first?
I was not commenting on the advisability of the patch in the OP, just pointing out that just because people are using single address wallets does not mean that it's the right thing to keep doing.

That behaviour was known broken ever since the beginning, but since Satoshi didn't worry about the ability of users to backup their keys when he wrote the client (otherwise he would have gone with deterministic key generation), client developers responded by making wallets with a single key. Now a bunch of new users have been trained with bad practises and it will take some now to reverse.
Pages:
Jump to: