Pages:
Author

Topic: Miners: Time to deprioritise/filter address reuse! - page 12. (Read 51793 times)

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016
I voted for "don't do this".  While we should definitely encourage people to use bitcoin in privacy-friendlier ways, we should not force it upon them.  We should simply make it a default, but still an option.
We've been doing this since Satoshi first released Bitcoin...
The problem now is that unless we force this good behaviour, other interests will start forcing the bad behaviour.

People like vanity addresses.
Great, vanitygen has a -k option just for this!

Donations need single addresses.
No, they don't.

Privacy should come at the CHOICE of the user, not the FORCE of the miners.
Address reuse forces non-privacy on other users.
If everyone is using Bitcoin correctly (ie, no address reuse), people can still choose to publish their transaction log.
That is, address reuse takes away the choice; forbidding it does not.

You know, you make it really hard for me to argue my side when you do nothing but make well-reasoned completely fair points.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Not sure what you point was.  The title is "DEPRIORITIZE" and that is exactly what it would do.  It creates a method for privacy and security minded individuals to create an incentive for like minded individuals.  Nothing more.  Nothing is being forced.  Nothing is being prevented.

I know this is slightly off-topic, but why is it not? Why not have that stuff as a fundamental part of the protocol? It seems that address reuse is causing nothing but harm, and after reading this thread, I don't see any legitimate reason why it's absolutely needed. So why not just eliminate address reuse altogether?

Protocol change would mean a hard fork and getting consensus on even mundane changes (google threads about P2SH) is very tough.  Getting consensus (or super super majority) on a contraversial change to make a hard fork go smoothly is essentially DOA.
Activity: 116
Merit: 10
Not sure what you point was.  The title is "DEPRIORITIZE" and that is exactly what it would do.  It creates a method for privacy and security minded individuals to create an incentive for like minded individuals.  Nothing more.  Nothing is being forced.  Nothing is being prevented.

I know this is slightly off-topic, but why is it not being forced? Why not have that stuff as a fundamental part of the protocol? It seems that address reuse is causing nothing but harm, and after reading this thread, I don't see any legitimate reason why it's absolutely needed. So why not just eliminate address reuse altogether?
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
I voted for "don't do this".  While we should definitely encourage people to use bitcoin in privacy-friendlier ways, we should not force it upon them.  We should simply make it a default, but still an option.
We've been doing this since Satoshi first released Bitcoin...
The problem now is that unless we force strengthen this good behaviour, other interests will start forcing the bad behaviour.

People like vanity addresses.
Great, vanitygen has a -k option just for this!

Donations need single addresses.
No, they don't.

Privacy should come at the CHOICE of the user, not the FORCE of the miners.
Address reuse forces non-privacy on other users.
If everyone is using Bitcoin correctly (ie, no address reuse), people can still choose to publish their transaction log.
That is, address reuse takes away the choice; forbidding it does not.
donator
Gerald Davis
It doesnt stop reuse, it just means they wont clear as fast. So what.

Not sure what you point was.  The title is "DEPRIORITIZE" and that is exactly what it would do.  It creates a method for privacy and security minded individuals to create an incentive for like minded individuals.  Nothing more.  Nothing is being forced.  Nothing is being prevented.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
I voted for "don't do this".  While we should definitely encourage people to use bitcoin in privacy-friendlier ways, we should not force it upon them.  We should simply make it a default, but still an option.  People like vanity addresses.  Donations need single addresses.  If people want to give their privacy away by re=using addresses, we should let them and not de-prioritize them.  Privacy should come at the CHOICE of the user, not the FORCE of the miners.

It is still a choice just a choice with consequences.

Donation addresses don't need to be static.  It is easier if static but easier isn't an absolute.  Any address can be made dynamic.  It will require support of sites and services providers but with no incentive no such system will ever take place.

For example Bitcointalk could have a field where user inputs their pubkey seed.  It would then generate the first address from that seed and as you receive a donation it would detect it and rotate the address to the next available one.   Sound like a lot of work, maybe but once implemented it would be copy and paste easy for all users to have a dynamic donation address.  Will it happen without some incentive?  Probably not.

To imply it is forced would imply that the patch makes address resuse impossible, that coins sent to a used address are permanently lost and that isn't the case.

It doesnt stop reuse, it just means they wont clear as fast. So what.
donator
Gerald Davis
I voted for "don't do this".  While we should definitely encourage people to use bitcoin in privacy-friendlier ways, we should not force it upon them.  We should simply make it a default, but still an option.  People like vanity addresses.  Donations need single addresses.  If people want to give their privacy away by re=using addresses, we should let them and not de-prioritize them.  Privacy should come at the CHOICE of the user, not the FORCE of the miners.

It is still a choice just a choice with consequences.

Donation addresses don't need to be static.  It is easier if static but easier isn't an absolute.  Any address can be made dynamic.  It will require support of sites and services providers but with no incentive no such system will ever take place.

For example Bitcointalk could have a field where user inputs their pubkey seed.  It would then generate the first address from that seed and as you receive a donation it would detect it and rotate the address to the next available one.   Sound like a lot of work, maybe but once implemented it would be copy and paste easy for all users to have a dynamic donation address.  Will it happen without some incentive?  Probably not.

To imply it is forced would imply that the patch makes address resuse impossible, that coins sent to a used address are permanently lost and that isn't the case.
Activity: 793
Merit: 1016
I voted for "don't do this".  While we should definitely encourage people to use bitcoin in privacy-friendlier ways, we should not force it upon them.  We should simply make it a default, but still an option.  People like vanity addresses.  Donations need single addresses.  If people want to give their privacy away by re=using addresses, we should let them and not de-prioritize them.  Privacy should come at the CHOICE of the user, not the FORCE of the miners.
legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1208
This is not OK.
Ok question from relative noob... What if someone ,,inseminate'' my holding adress with 0.001 BTC? Do it mean I ll have problems to use this adress in future ? Sorry if the problem was answered earlier and I didn't noiticed.

How would anyone know your address before you use it?
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
Ok question from relative noob... What if someone ,,inseminate'' my holding adress with 0.001 BTC? Do it mean I ll have problems to use this adress in future ? Sorry if the problem was answered earlier and I didn't noiticed.
legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1208
This is not OK.
So a Q... As a miner with a static address on my pools... how do we deal with that?
donator
Gerald Davis
Ok, let's assume that BIP0032 will be used.
Is it possible to create new addresses with PHP or Javascript, without access to a bitcoin client?

Yes. 
Activity: 675
Merit: 513
Ok, let's assume that BIP0032 will be used.
Is it possible to create new addresses with PHP or Javascript, without access to a bitcoin client?
soy
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013
Addresses have always been considered single-time-use since Satoshi released the whitepaper.
While the community has tolerated reuse for things like donation addresses due to lack of convenient alternatives, it looks like the time is here early that this needs to stop.
I had hoped to defer anything in this area until wide deployment of the payment protocol (which should make such things unnecessary), but our hands1 are perhaps2 being forced3 to act sooner4.

I am hereby announcing the first release of a the first patch for miners to filter address reuse:
unique_spk_mempool for bitcoind 0.8.5
For now, since this is still somewhat common, this just deprioritises it to one reuse per block.
If I have time, I plan to write patches to be more and less aggressive that miners can choose between (or maybe others will beat me to it!).

If you want to support this move, encourage your favourite mining pool to adopt this or a similar policy change, or use a decentralised pool that lets you apply it yourself.

In collaboration with wizkid057, the Eligius mining pool (15% of total network hashing) is now the first to deploy this change on an experimental basis.

This would seem to be an objection to whitelisting addresses.  Read of that recently.  Mellon, of the banking industry I think it was.  Wants to whitelist addresses that don't want silkroad besmerchment.  Except for making oneself banking industry targetable by them having one's identity it seems like a good idea.  I'd ignore it rather than work against it.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
I did.  So tl;dr:  People will try to discredit Bitcoin.

But they already do that so this is not new.

I started out not liking the proposal, got up on the fence, now fully support it.  In fact I now see it as only a first step in the right direction.

I now believe that we must do everything we can think of to protect the fungibility of Bitcoin.  Any attack on the fungibility of Bitcoin is a direct attack on Bitcoin itself.  In fact, I now believe that attacking the fungibility of Bitcoin may be the most expedient, cost effective and preferred method of attack by anyone who wishes to destroy it.

Thanks to everyone who is on top of this.  We should be behind this proposal and considering additional proposals.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Thank you Luke and Greg and everyone else who is going to deploy this modification.

It's unfortunate that Satoshi did not have time to plug the privacy leaks in his design, and those leaks are now starting to be exploited by seedy individuals.  But this kind of countermeasure (and the CoinJoin pull request) makes me hopeful that the Bitcoin community can (and will) respond rapidly to mitigate major threats.  Or, worst case, that the developers and miners are quite capable of coming up with a less leaky architecture + hardcoded best practices that could be built-in to a new cryptocurrency from the get-go.

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
Activity: 19
Merit: 0

So TLDR; you think that a collision could occur? Yes it could, but it won't.

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
Pages:
Jump to: