Pages:
Author

Topic: Miners: Time to deprioritise/filter address reuse! - page 2. (Read 51790 times)

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
I want to reuse the addresses. A lot. Actually, I do not want to generate new addresses at all if possible. This way the backup of my wallet does not need updating.
Thank Satoshi for bad planning when it came to wallets, and switch to Armory instead.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Hopefully it won't be forced until Bitcoin-qt supports it.
I don't expect it to ever be forced at the blockchain level.
I mean by Eligius I hope I can contiue to use Bitcoin-qt without having to somehow also accommodate BIP32 until it is included in that client.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
I don't expect it to ever be forced at the blockchain level.
Does not look like the official client supports that.
There is no official client, or official anything. Official implies centralisation.
OK, maybe I chose a bad term. I meant Bitcoin-qt - the original client. The one that comes closest to being "official" and keeps the full blockchain.
After all, bitcoin.org is the first link that Google shows when searching for Bitcoin. That is a de-facto "official" website and a website I send people to to learn about Bitcoin. Bitcoin-qt is the client I first started using (there were no others back in CPU-mining days) and other clients are not compatible with its wallet format, so I can't really change it now.
So, if I have mined a lot of coins (and on Eligius, all coins go to a single address, can't really change it, can I?) I have to wait longer if I want to make a few smaller purchases? Actually, same applies to coins bought in an exchange - unless I want to spend time manually withdrawing to different addresses.
Yes, if you use Bitcoin wrong, this will make your transactions take slightly longer to confirm.
That's intentional.
I will continue to work closely with wizkid057 to ensure Eligius gets support for BIP32 as soon as possible.
legendary
Does not look like the official client supports that.
There is no official client, or official anything. Official implies centralisation.

However, I believe that everyone should decide that for themselves
Address reuse takes away that choice from other users.
Using a unique address per transaction, as Bitcoin was always intended to be used, allows each user to choose for themselves whether they want their transaction record public or not.

However, this affects not only the destination but also source addresses as I understand it.
There are no source addresses.
Addresses are only ever used to receive.

So, if I have mined a lot of coins (and on Eligius, all coins go to a single address, can't really change it, can I?) I have to wait longer if I want to make a few smaller purchases? Actually, same applies to coins bought in an exchange - unless I want to spend time manually withdrawing to different addresses.
Yes, if you use Bitcoin wrong, this will make your transactions take slightly longer to confirm.
That's intentional.
I will continue to work closely with wizkid057 to ensure Eligius gets support for BIP32 as soon as possible.

I like the current system where I can keep coins received by mining in one address (so if I see the notification that 1P5p... received coins I know it is from mining, 175... means LabRat paid dividends etc).
Future software versions implementing BIP32 should be able to notify you based on the recurring invoice id used.
This way the backup of my wallet does not need updating.
BIP32 fixes that, please read the thread.
Does not look like the official client supports that. I mean there is no automatic way of doing it. I am not running some additional software. You give me and address to send the coins to, I send them to that address. If I want to receive coins from you, I will give you my address (the same one). If you somehow manage to turn it into some other address while making sure the coins reach me - great.

OTOH, I guess this patch could be circumvented by pre-generating as many addresses as I need (transactions per block) and giving them on a round-robin basis. Which still requires giving possible a different address each time someone wants to send coins to me. OTOH, I could just give a list of them and ask to choose one at random. That is static, but still inconvenient (and most would choose the first one in the list anyway).

It is inconvenient, no matter how you look at it.

Using bitcoin correctly won't stop your government from tracking you, and isn't intended to.
What it can do, is stop everyone else from tracking you.
However, I believe that everyone should decide that for themselves instead of having it basically forced on them (yea, yea, "miners can choose with transactions to include in the block, so there will be at least one miner who run an unaltered client, so your transaction will be included some time before the end of the universe" but it is effectively forcing me to do this).
Just like millions of people use Facebook and share everything about themselves (I am not one of them).

However, this affects not only the destination but also source addresses as I understand it. So, if I have mined a lot of coins (and on Eligius, all coins go to a single address, can't really change it, can I?) I have to wait longer if I want to make a few smaller purchases? Actually, same applies to coins bought in an exchange - unless I want to spend time manually withdrawing to different addresses.

I like the current system where I can keep coins received by mining in one address (so if I see the notification that 1P5p... received coins I know it is from mining, 175... means LabRat paid dividends etc).
legendary
Using bitcoin correctly won't stop your government from tracking you, and isn't intended to.
What it can do, is stop everyone else from tracking you.
I want to reuse the addresses. A lot. Actually, I do not want to generate new addresses at all if possible. This way the backup of my wallet does not need updating.
So, my mining goes to one address, some other received coins go to another. That's it. I may even generate a vanity address in the future. I am also running Bitcoin-qt without TOR.

Why do you want to force me to use different addresses?

Using multiple addresses won't make it impossible to track me, maybe not even harder. The mining pool knows my IP and my address, so if my government manages to extract that information from them, they got me. It won't change anything if I change the address - the new one will be linked to the old one via the same pool and because some transactions will have both addresses as the source (if I send more coins than there are in one address). So, those all addresses can be linked to me with some work.

I have two ways of receiving coins - mining (address->IP link in the pool) and buying (address->name, IP, bank account link in the exchange). If I sell the coins, there is another link. So, if the government wants to track me they sure can.
Activity: 551
Merit: 500
I notice this change isn't mentioned in the news on the Eligius site...

Activity: 826
Merit: 501
in defi we trust
I really don't understand why people must be FORCED to use this - i.e. get pools to enforce this rule.

Can someone answer why it MUST be done - and why the current system CAN'T be allowed to continue.

Why can't people have choice?

You CAN implement the option of accepting payments to choose to use a new address every time - so people who want that can have it.

But why are people trying to FORCE this as mandatory?

Seems like: "We know better, we will tell you what you should do and we want to force you to do it"
Sounds very religious to me ...

No-one said "lets force everyone to accept this new culture against address re-use"

What happens when your friendly neighbourhood tax barons decide they must FORCE you to use ID VERIFIED PUBLIC KEYS. Then what, Mr. Anti-Coercion?

So , do you know where this is going to lead?
Pools forcing people to  "x" because government is planning "y".
You open the door to pools abuse combined with government abuse , both having some stupid "reasons" to do so.
Activity: 475
Merit: 250
indubitably
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
I really don't understand why people must be FORCED to use this - i.e. get pools to enforce this rule.

Can someone answer why it MUST be done - and why the current system CAN'T be allowed to continue.

You CAN implement the option of accepting payments to choose to use a new address every time - so people who want that can have it.

Seems like: "We know better, we will tell you what you should do and we want to force you to do it"

No-one said "lets force everyone to accept this new culture against address re-use"

What happens when your friendly neighbourhood tax barons decide they must FORCE you to use ID VERIFIED PUBLIC KEYS. Then what, Mr. Anti-Coercion?
Interesting, you clearly misunderstand the point of the thread and then it seems that you are arguing that if govt powers FORCE people to do things then we as bitcoiners should do that also?

The FUD at the start of the first post ... since you seem to have not read it:
Addresses have always been considered single-time-use since Satoshi released the whitepaper.
While the community has tolerated reuse for things like donation addresses due to lack of convenient alternatives, it looks like the time is here early that this needs to stop.

Or would you care to explain exactly what your argument there is?

Certainly makes no sense as it is.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1033

FUD
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

But they aren't forced to use this.  Without nearly universal adoption by pools, it appears to be more a mild suggestion than a use of force.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
what's so bad about address reuse anyway?
It is not about address reuse.  The issue is fungibility.

There are many posts above that explain the issue.  Just read them.

Try this one:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3588908

Then this one:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3589252

and the one after it for starters.

This entire thread is a gold mine for the issue at hand with good posts on all sides of the issue.

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005
what's so bad about address reuse anyway?
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
If you have any other/better ideas to help preserve fungibility then we need to hear them now! Please!

How is ZeroCoin doing? I read they are going to start an alt coin and have the transaction size down to very reasonable 500B but they didn't answer my question if cpu use made similar progress.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
For what it is worth, I was totally against this proposal as well.  This is one of the posts that convinced me this (fungibility) is  a critical issue:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3588908

Now I consider the proposal just a "baby step" in the right direction.  We actually need to implement BIP32 system wide and come up with even more ideas to make it as hard as possible to implement those ideas that are floating around that will destroy the fungible property of Bitcoin.

The battle over the fungibility of Bitcoin is the battle for Bitcoin itself.  If fungibility is destroyed then Bitcoin will eventually become just a footnote in history.

As I have said, if you remove the fungible nature of Bitcoin - as is being proposed - then Bitcoin becomes a collectible and is no longer money.

If you have any other/better ideas to help preserve fungibility then we need to hear them now! Please!

legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1033

My thoughts, exactly. I've been trying to find real arguments for doing it now in this thread, but it looks like it is all FUD.
Pages:
Jump to: