Pages:
Author

Topic: Mining accidents having caused physical damage (overheating hw, fires, etc) - page 2. (Read 12121 times)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
So far just a pretty serious papercut from a 5830 box...seriously, it was very deep, like a knife cut.
Activity: 257
Merit: 250
nobody has posted this yet?

Activity: 312
Gigabyte's 5870s have very sharp fan blades that barely have a housing.  It is a good deterrent to sticking one's hand in a running machine.  Ouch!
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
Thank you EU for our 230 V power.

Hey US, enjoy your doubled current drain at your wall socket  Grin
*shrug*

6 one way, a half dozen the other.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
One of the power MOSFET's shot a sizable flame out the back of my 5770 no more than 3 minutes after getting my very first rig together (talk about a bad omen eh?).  Luckily there I was still able to figure out the part number by looking at other transistors and pics on the internet and soldered a new one in place with what was probably my single worse soldering job in my life.
Activity: 378
Insert Quote

Enjoy your half-assed amperage in yours.    Cool
Activity: 797
Merit: 1017

Activity: 280
Merit: 252
Just almost set my entire mining rig room on fire... With shitty PSUs apparantly.

I hooked up 2*850W raidmax gold PSUs to 6 video cards and it started smoking like crazy.

I can hook up 6 * video cards to a 1200 watt gold psu with no problems whatsoever.

WTF raidmax?!? You made me inhale some kind of weird assed fumes!
Activity: 70
Merit: 11
I'll start with one from a friend of mine (who shall remain anonymous): he lives in a place with old 120V electrical wiring. He put a rig of ~1.6kW (~13A), as measured by a kill-a-watt, on a 20A circuit for about half a day, until he started smelling smoke in his apartment, apparently coming from the wiring inside the walls. He completely stopped using this circuit, and now runs his rig on a dedicated 240V circuit. A 20A circuit is normally rated 16A for continuous loads by the National Electric Code, but that old wiring was likely defective and the insulation probably started melting.

That is makes me worry.  I am putting a lot of load on my old house wiring.  The electrics were redone sometime after grounded plugs became standard, but it is still very old.  Yay for 100+ year old houses...

Yeah, that story actually made me purchase a kill-a-watt.
Activity: 60
Merit: 10
I'll start with one from a friend of mine (who shall remain anonymous): he lives in a place with old 120V electrical wiring. He put a rig of ~1.6kW (~13A), as measured by a kill-a-watt, on a 20A circuit for about half a day, until he started smelling smoke in his apartment, apparently coming from the wiring inside the walls. He completely stopped using this circuit, and now runs his rig on a dedicated 240V circuit. A 20A circuit is normally rated 16A for continuous loads by the National Electric Code, but that old wiring was likely defective and the insulation probably started melting.

That is makes me worry.  I am putting a lot of load on my old house wiring.  The electrics were redone sometime after grounded plugs became standard, but it is still very old.  Yay for 100+ year old houses...
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
Yep, he did measure. I am pretty sure his PSU had active PFC, so pf = 1.0.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Let the chips fall where they may.

Did you actually measure the current with the Kill-a-watt? Most my computer have a power factor of about 0.67. That means that for every 100W (833mA resistive), the actual current draw is closer to 1.24 amps. or in your example, 19.9 amps. My kill-a-watt is only rated to measure up to 15Amps, IIRC.
Activity: 60
Typical stuff, cut fingers while working with cheap cases and fingers hurt by fans.
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025
Strange.  He must be really unlucky.  I've had every imaginable type of heatsinking compound all over my fingers before and never had any side effects from it.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
It was either Arctic Silver 5 or it was an OEM brand. Those are the only types I've worked with.
I don't remember exactly which it was.
legendary
Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000
Live and enjoy experiments
and remember to wash beforehand in the bathroom.
Activity: 84
I'm guessing it was silver compound, when I was in chem class we were told to be very careful with it or we'll get a chemical burn that will stain the skin for a very long time when we were handling solutions with silver in it. Just a guess, lemme know if I'm right plox!
donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
Tell me what thermal paste you were using, I want to put smiley faces into my fingerprints!
Activity: 126

I don't have prints there anymore.

I just realized, this could be valuable information.  Grin

took you eight minutes longer than me.  Cool
Activity: 154

I don't have prints there anymore.

I just realized, this could be valuable information.  Grin
Pages:
Jump to: