Pages:
Author

Topic: Mining accidents having caused physical damage (overheating hw, fires, etc) - page 4. (Read 12121 times)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100
i've gotten a couple of fingertip owies from unshrouded fans, and a knuckle cut from the sharp edge of an internal drive cage.

i also lost a shirt cuff button when i inadvertently closed a case on it.  i liked that button, dammit.
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1006
I broke a nail assembling my miner hardware. Grin
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
When installing new hardware in "modified" cases I have repeatedly cut myself on sharp metal edges. Oh, and quite a few times I've touched spinning fans, which causes some damage as well.
Activity: 228
Merit: 106
Im afraid of reading this thread and become paranoic
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
Let's collect, in this thread, anecdotes about mining accidents having caused physical damage such as: high temperatures destroying hardware, insulation melting on power cords, fires (gasp!), etc.

I'll start with one from a friend of mine (who shall remain anonymous): he lives in a place with old 120V electrical wiring. He put a rig of ~1.6kW (~13A), as measured by a kill-a-watt, on a 20A circuit for about half a day, until he started smelling smoke in his apartment, apparently coming from the wiring inside the walls. He completely stopped using this circuit, and now runs his rig on a dedicated 240V circuit. A 20A circuit is normally rated 16A for continuous loads by the National Electric Code, but that old wiring was likely defective and the insulation probably started melting.

Another from me: a fan failed on one of my HD 5970s. My monitoring data showed that the fan speed dropped to 0 percent for some reason, causing the temperature of one of the GPUs to quickly spike to 105 C for about half an hour, while the other GPU remained at a relatively safer 90 C. My miner then hung, causing the temperatures to drop back to normal idle levels. This has destroyed one of the GPUs on this card. Since then, any attempt to launch a GPGPU app quickly triggers an ASIC hang. The fan on this card still works, so perhaps it was a firmware bug controlling the fan that stopped it.
Pages:
Jump to: