Pages:
Author

Topic: Mining Container by Polivka GmbH - page 3. (Read 28975 times)

Activity: 236
Merit: 105
January 21, 2017, 03:45:01 PM
if it were really a concern adding 10-20 kilowatts of electric heaters for 10 or 20 mins before firing them up would fix it. be cheap to add i would think.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking as well Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
January 20, 2017, 04:29:37 PM
if it were really a concern adding 10-20 kilowatts of electric heaters for 10 or 20 mins before firing them up would fix it. be cheap to add i would think.
January 20, 2017, 01:39:23 PM
I have been told on other threads I should not start up my Antminers until it is close to or above 0 deg C. I could add an electric heater to start up before my controller starts up the miners I guess, and have the miners start after so much time has passed (enough time to warm up the miners).
Activity: 135
Merit: 101
Hydromining!
January 20, 2017, 03:18:25 AM
Another question came to mind. Since these units are portable and would sit outside, how would you pre-heat the miners if the unit was shut down in the winter? I understand you cannot start up miners if it's -20 degC outside and the miners are at that temperature. So you would need a way to preheat them would you not?

Nope. Pre-heating miners is not a concern. You can leave the vents off for a minute, that will do Wink
January 18, 2017, 12:47:23 PM
Another question came to mind. Since these units are portable and would sit outside, how would you pre-heat the miners if the unit was shut down in the winter? I understand you cannot start up miners if it's -20 degC outside and the miners are at that temperature. So you would need a way to preheat them would you not?
January 18, 2017, 12:33:08 PM
Hey just thought I'd bump this for an update? How many container units did you make after and are they still operating?

I love the idea. I've been thinking about doing something similar lately.

What is the spec for your intake / exhaust fans?
Hydromining!
July 07, 2015, 05:41:27 AM
Just in front of the hydro power plant  Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
April 21, 2015, 09:07:29 PM
Don't forget,in the US we don't ship out much but we import alot!!! So there's an ample supply of decent used containers in most any port  Wink

Go shopping guys!!!  Grin

I plan on building my house with USED containers BTW  Cool

We did a tiny tiny bit of export of us.  Most was import as you said. And a surprising amount of US to US.  And we imported to a lot of other countries aswell.  But on containers our product was loaded and they sent it on a boat for a decent voyage.   These products were not time sensitive, so you just shipped them far enough in advance to cover demand.  But travel time was quite a bit on the boats.  

I can say I have worked with most of the big companies on shipping with containers, and if something is imputed wrong it is a huge pain.  Not all the companies use nice new software, so you are getting tons of legacy software tied into new software.

But yea container prices can be a lot less used.  With the big companies they have HUGE volume so they their price on containers is less then what a individual would get going to a company pumping out new ones.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
April 21, 2015, 07:53:50 PM
I don't know if I would agree about this completely.  I worked for a big company that I did international transportation for the company. They made items that go world wide (i won't name company).  But they shipped on boats, trains, and semi's.   The biggest thing they cared about was size of container.  I help write some of the code we did not track containers uses.  And one use might take a big tole if treated wrong, and one use might not hurt it much at all.  So number of uses was not really important.

I would agree the ones sold are not brand new and near as clean/nice as what you are using.  But you could get a decent one not torn to heck.  I don't know prices as I never really cared to buy one.

Don't forget,in the US we don't ship out much but we import alot!!! So there's an ample supply of decent used containers in most any port  Wink

Go shopping guys!!!  Grin

I plan on building my house with USED containers BTW  Cool
legendary
April 21, 2015, 11:50:37 AM
The second hand containers you get to buy are usually the ones which the transport companies don't want anymore. Guess what - they really know about containers....
We used "new" ones for this - new meaning produced in far east, one time loaded and shipped to Europe.

I don't know if I would agree about this completely.  I worked for a big company that I did international transportation for the company. They made items that go world wide (i won't name company).  But they shipped on boats, trains, and semi's.   The biggest thing they cared about was size of container.  I help write some of the code we did not track containers uses.  And one use might take a big tole if treated wrong, and one use might not hurt it much at all.  So number of uses was not really important.

I would agree the ones sold are not brand new and near as clean/nice as what you are using.  But you could get a decent one not torn to heck.  I don't know prices as I never really cared to buy one.
Hydromining!
April 21, 2015, 11:17:50 AM
The second hand containers you get to buy are usually the ones which the transport companies don't want anymore. Guess what - they really know about containers....
We used "new" ones for this - new meaning produced in far east, one time loaded and shipped to Europe.
legendary
Activity: 1358
https://gliph.me/hUF
April 21, 2015, 07:00:35 AM
Yup, mixed up prices with new.
legendary
April 21, 2015, 06:58:28 AM
$6000 Huh  You must be buying new......  Roll Eyes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-ft-used-Shipping-Ocean-Container-Steel-Water-wind-tight-Storage-Chicago-/281662529790?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41946520fe

Most ports have PLENTY of used containers,in really good shape  Cool

Then get a flatbed to haul it for about $100-500 depending on how far you go with it.

I thought it sounded a little high aswell.  I know I have seen used ones sold for storage for much less.

On new i have no idea how much it cost's it could be the 6k.   If you look at the one they showcase in front page they are wanting 18k for it.  I think it is very nice, but that is a lot of cash.   That is what I was referring to when I said I thought you could do a lower priced version.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
April 21, 2015, 06:31:31 AM
The main cost is the container. If I'm not mistaken a used 20ft-er can be had from about 6k USD. The rest depends on how much time you can invest in doing it yourself and your skillset.

I'm glad to see that this project seems to move forward!

$6000 Huh  You must be buying new......  Roll Eyes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-ft-used-Shipping-Ocean-Container-Steel-Water-wind-tight-Storage-Chicago-/281662529790?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41946520fe

Most ports have PLENTY of used containers,in really good shape  Cool

Then get a flatbed to haul it for about $100-500 depending on how far you go with it.
Activity: 587
Merit: 500
April 21, 2015, 06:07:32 AM
This is a brilliant concept.

It would be interesting to see how it develops.
legendary
Activity: 1358
https://gliph.me/hUF
April 20, 2015, 09:57:21 PM
If they could manage to do a low priced version of one if these that would be interesting.  I could see people going in together to buy and splitting cost.  But it has to be a practical cost.  If it cost's to much it would lose all the benefit of cheap electricity.

The main cost is the container. If I'm not mistaken a used 20ft-er can be had from about 6k USD. The rest depends on how much time you can invest in doing it yourself and your skillset.

I'm glad to see that this project seems to move forward!
legendary
April 20, 2015, 04:03:39 PM
Now that would be a good idea.  That State is far and away the best state in the USA for power cost. Making those containers in the state  would be  really practical.

If they could manage to do a low priced version of one if these that would be interesting.  I could see people going in together to buy and splitting cost.  But it has to be a practical cost.  If it cost's to much it would lose all the benefit of cheap electricity.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
April 20, 2015, 10:11:41 AM
If somebody wants to set up a (near) Washington State company producing this things with me - I'm all open for it. This is really by far the cheapest way to set up capacity and it works just perfect.

Now that would be a good idea.  That State is far and away the best state in the USA for power cost. Making those containers in the state  would be  really practical.
Hydromining!
April 20, 2015, 10:08:22 AM
You made quite a nice piece of gear. Too bad btc is down so much.

This would be a perfect piece of gear for someone in Washington state USA power is under 5 cents. I would think the shipping to USA would be far too high.  I do wish good luck for your gear as It is well thought out.

If somebody wants to set up a (near) Washington State company producing this things with me - I'm all open for it. This is really by far the cheapest way to set up capacity and it works just perfect.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
April 20, 2015, 10:02:38 AM
You made quite a nice piece of gear. Too bad btc is down so much.

This would be a perfect piece of gear for someone in Washington state USA power is under 5 cents. I would think the shipping to USA would be far too high.  I do wish good luck for your gear as It is well thought out.
Pages:
Jump to: