Pages:
Author

Topic: Mobile car-based mining operation entirely possible - page 2. (Read 4034 times)

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
I don't think people realize how much a running alternator or other mechanical loads can affect your gas mileage. This is especially true on a smaller car like a sedan. It's still present on a larger car like a truck or something, but will still be present.

I know on my little 2.0L 4 banger, the drop in gas mileage would be more expensive then just paying for the electricity.

Really. The energy has to come from somewhere, and a small ICE along with a cheap alternator are absolutely crappy at turning fuel into electricity. This graphic is actually pretty good since it's 40% conversion of chemical energy to mechanical energy is for a big diesel; for a small gas ICE it is actually very decent.

Now, you could get almost free power if you tied your mining rig into your ECU. While accelerating you wouldn't actively hash but would just keep valid work queued up. As soon as you tap the brake, start hashing. The increased draw on the alternator would act as a form of really expensive engine braking and would save wear on your brake pads.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
I don't think people realize how much a running alternator or other mechanical loads can affect your gas mileage. This is especially true on a smaller car like a sedan. It's still present on a larger car like a truck or something, but will still be present.

I know on my little 2.0L 4 banger, the drop in gas mileage would be more expensive then just paying for the electricity.
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
EDIT:  Now if you're talking about running it on a car that is moving, I'd say the electricity is virtually free.
I'd say no way it is free. You put a load on the generator, it adds mechanical load to the system, leading to higher consumption of fuel. In case of a hybrid, you could say it's cheap because some of it comes from regenerative braking, but this would require some tweaking of the control systems to ensure optimal capture of energy for this additional load.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
Can a car battery provide 120W constantly? Won't that burn out your alternator?
Quite easily.  Your typical alternator can push out 50 amps @ 14v, so 700w.  Certainly, some of that is used for other electrical items (lights being a big user), but a large part of that amperage goes unused.  It needs the extra overhead to be able to recharge batteries drained while the car is off, so using that overhead for other purposes is entirely possible.
Any reliable information on how much a kWh costs in a running car?
I read a little while back that idling a modern car typically uses 0.2 gallons/hour.  So, if you consider that the minimum, then you're looking at at least $0.70/kwh.  It is possible to achieve full draw on an alternator at idle, so I think it is reasonable to assume you could get 700w out of the car at idle.  There would be a nearly negligible increase of load on the engine.  $0.70 / 700w = at least $1.00/kwh.

If you upgraded your alternator to allow for more load, then you might need to also increase the default idle speed to ensure the engine does not stall, which would mean more fuel usage.

EDIT:  Now if you're talking about running it on a car that is moving, I'd say the electricity is virtually free.
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
Quite easily.  Your typical alternator can push out 50 amps @ 14v, so 700w.  Certainly, some of that is used for other electrical items (lights being a big user), but a large part of that amperage goes unused.  It needs the extra overhead to be able to recharge batteries drained while the car is off, so using that overhead for other purposes is entirely possible.
Any reliable information on how much a kWh costs in a running car?
legendary
Merit: 1005
Quite easily.  Your typical alternator can push out 50 amps @ 14v, so 700w.  Certainly, some of that is used for other electrical items (lights being a big user), but a large part of that amperage goes unused.  It needs the extra overhead to be able to recharge batteries drained while the car is off, so using that overhead for other purposes is entirely possible.
Activity: 482
Merit: 502
You don't need rPi. cgminer can run on the phone, and miner can be connected via USB.

Btw. is there a compiled armel binary of cgminer? I found just the source and instructions on how to crosscompile some time ago...
legendary
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
Activity: 481
Merit: 500
No, I'm not talking about CPU mining.
legendary
Activity: 952
Bear in mind that a vehicle's "12 volt" electrical system actually can vary from 10 to 15 or so volts.  Powering your thousand-dollar miner by plugging directly into it may not be the wisest choice.

This. Those 12V DC card charges can have some of the worst voltage control, esp if they're really cheap. Example:

Side note: Are you JUST talking about CPU mining on the Rpi? You'd get almost nothing for coins!
legendary
Activity: 966
Bear in mind that a vehicle's "12 volt" electrical system actually can vary from 10 to 15 or so volts.  Powering your thousand-dollar miner by plugging directly into it may not be the wisest choice.
Activity: 481
Merit: 500
I'm been playing with the Raspberry Pi, which only consumes 4 or 5 watts of power, compiling cgminer on it, etc and combined with this little wireless adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CLMJLU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02

I got to thinking - with the following you could run a totally mobile mining operation out of your truck or car:

1.  Android Phone running a wireless hotspot
2.  Your favorite USB mining device, 12 Volt input connected to a cigarette adapter.
3.  Raspberry Pi running Debian and cgminer
4.  Cigarette adapter - to USB to power the Pi.

You could be driving to Grandma's house over Christmas while mining the entire trip. Or a trucker who lives in his rig could mine.
Pages:
Jump to: