Pages:
Author

Topic: Moderation of (possible) FUD and insults - page 4. (Read 15060 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
September 18, 2014, 12:25:48 PM
Slander and insults are also allowed as long as they contain any kind of constructive opinion, info or something else substantial and aren't off-topic. For example, posting something like "you are dumb" will be deleted as it contains no meaningful content. However, if the post is somehwere along the lines of "You are dumb. This is wrong because this website/thread/etc. has explained it's not right", it's in most cases accepted.

Do you really mean slander? There could be legal implications, certainly there are slander (and libel for print and other media) laws here in UK, and I'm sure variations of the same in other countries. Completely agree (FWIW) that if a potentially contentious statement is made it must be backed up with evidence.

Cheers, Ngaio
global moderator
Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610
In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce
September 18, 2014, 11:49:36 AM
Moderators don't moderate for truth. However, trolling isn't allowed. If a user is habitually posting obviously false nonsense just to stir up trouble, then it's considered trolling, which is prohibited. However, such cases should be thoroughly documented in the report (There are tons of reports that just say "trolling", but moderators don't have time to look through each user's post).

That is perfect. I am sure you will have tough work to do it.

Insults are also allowed as long as they contain any kind of constructive opinion, info or something else substantial and aren't off-topic. For example, posting something like "you are dumb" will be deleted as it contains no meaningful content.

I am not sure if you are right here. There are much bigger insults constantly used as calling someone dumb and those should be sorted out fast.

But i have question. Is there punishment for those that continuously repeat this mistakes? Do they get temporary or permanent IP bans?
Updated the OP with a clarification:

However, if the post is somehwere along the lines of "You are dumb. This is wrong because this website/thread/etc. has explained it's not right", it's in most cases accepted.

If you repeatedly break the rules, yes, you will get banned. When and for how long is really case-by-case basis.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
September 18, 2014, 11:27:21 AM
Moderators don't moderate for truth. However, trolling isn't allowed. If a user is habitually posting obviously false nonsense just to stir up trouble, then it's considered trolling, which is prohibited. However, such cases should be thoroughly documented in the report (There are tons of reports that just say "trolling", but moderators don't have time to look through each user's post).

That is perfect. I am sure you will have tough work to do it.

Insults are also allowed as long as they contain any kind of constructive opinion, info or something else substantial and aren't off-topic. For example, posting something like "you are dumb" will be deleted as it contains no meaningful content.

I am not sure if you are right here. There are much bigger insults constantly used as calling someone dumb and those should be sorted out fast.

But i have question. Is there punishment for those that continuously repeat this mistakes? Do they get temporary or permanent IP bans?
global moderator
Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610
In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce
September 18, 2014, 11:17:49 AM
Topic locked as the unofficial list of rules covers the material: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/unofficial-list-of-official-bitcointalkorg-rules-guidelines-faq-703657

After receiving a lot of PMs about this subject, seeing a lot of reports of this kind and after one of the global mods PMed me with suggestions regarding this topic, I thought that I should cover it:

Possible (or real, not for me to judge) FUD, accusations or statements are NOT moderated.

Possible (since we don't have the time or resources to check) insults are also allowed as long as they contain any kind of constructive opinion, info or something else substantial and aren't off-topic. For example, posting something like "you are dumb" will be deleted as it contains no meaningful content. However, if the post is somehwere along the lines of "You are dumb. This is wrong because this website/thread/etc. has explained it's not right", it's in most cases accepted.

Possible scams aren't moderated either due to the fact that's it's extremely hard to make an unbiased decision on a limited amount of evidence and time. Moderators don't have time to be investigators.

Legal note: This is forum policy, not mine.
Pages:
Jump to: