Pages:
Author

Topic: Money is the root of all evil - page 2. (Read 7655 times)

kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1026
July 25, 2012, 11:24:38 PM
Actually, commerce predates money by thousands of years.  Money was invented to account for debt, not wealth.

Money was not invented.

Money is a natural phenomenon of human interaction - it is intrinsic to barter, it is that thing most commonly bartered for. Commerce cannot predate money by more than a handful of trades.

Sorry, the evidence does not support your assertion.  summary, with a link to the book.

Barter came first, then debt, then money.

My forum avatar is a Sumerian word (amagi) meaning "freedom".  Literally, the first sign (ama) means "mother" and the second sign (gi4) is the verb "to restore".  Together, they are an idiom understood to mean freedom.  Sumerians had a complex economic system centered around their temples.  Writing itself was invented in the temples of Sumer to facilitate exactly this accounting of debts.  People would get themselves into debt and end up essentially selling themselves into slavery to settle up.  Over time, this turned out to be a problem, because people don't like being slaves, so if there were too many, they had a tendency to revolt and wreck up the place.  So, the jubilee was invented, where debts were wiped out, slaves set free (and able to go home to their mothers, hence the idiom), etc, every few years or so.

This was all well established at least 2000 years before money was invented.  And for all we know, even thousands of years earlier (it is really hard to pin down intangible concepts like debt prior to the invention of writing, but it is very clear that writing was invented for accounting).
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
July 25, 2012, 11:11:04 PM
I think you got the saying wrong.

It is:

THE LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.

Money is just a tool if you use it correctly and for the right purposes.

Herp derp?

Or is it the love of money that’s the root of all evil? To love a thing is to know and love its nature. To love money is to know and love the fact that money is the creation of the best power within you, and your passkey to trade your effort for the effort of the best among men. It’s the person who would sell his soul for a bitcent, who is loudest in proclaiming his hatred of money–and he has good reason to hate it. The lovers of money are willing to work for it. They know they are able to deserve it.

TL; DR

I just read title...
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
July 25, 2012, 11:07:24 PM
Money is not the root of all evil. The love of money is not the root of all evil. "Love" is what you value utterly and entirely...I love money for its value and for what it stands for. Im just going to guess that most people here "love" bitcoin for what it stands for and for its value. Is bitcoin the root of all evil? 
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1023
Democracy is the original 51% attack
July 25, 2012, 09:11:49 PM
Actually, commerce predates money by thousands of years.  Money was invented to account for debt, not wealth.

Money was not invented.

Money is a natural phenomenon of human interaction - it is intrinsic to barter, it is that thing most commonly bartered for. Commerce cannot predate money by more than a handful of trades.

legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
July 25, 2012, 08:36:02 PM
Yeah, money isnt the root of all evil. Its the love of money that is.
the Bible discusses this very issue =)
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
July 25, 2012, 07:10:20 PM
Uh huh, what we love and how we get it is bad, we're naughty, we get it.
Activity: 574
Merit: 250
July 25, 2012, 06:56:16 PM
Actually, the darkness at the core of men's souls is the root of all evil.

And kittens.

Kittens are evil as hell.
Activity: 496
Merit: 500
July 25, 2012, 06:51:36 PM

It is:

Herp derp?

Or is it the love of money that’s the root of all evil? To love a thing is to know and love its nature. To love money is to know and love the fact that money is the creation of the best power within you, and your passkey to trade your effort for the effort of the best among men. It’s the person who would sell his soul for a bitcent, who is loudest in proclaiming his hatred of money–and he has good reason to hate it. The lovers of money are willing to work for it. They know they are able to deserve it.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
July 25, 2012, 05:01:59 PM

It is:

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
July 25, 2012, 05:00:57 PM
We depend on some currency, money or not, to trade/exchange things.  Are chickens money? Or farm produce?

Word salad?  Did you have a point?
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
July 25, 2012, 04:56:40 PM
We depend on some currency, money or not, to trade/exchange things.  Are chickens money? Or farm produce?
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
July 25, 2012, 04:55:03 PM

So, from what I understand there are two theories of money. One is that money arose as a medium of exchange (more efficient than barter). The other is that money arose as a way to denominate debts (more accurate than keeping track in your head). Are there any implications if the second is true rather than the first?

Depends entirely on one's definition of money.  If you consider money to be specified units of precious metal, than money rose as a medium of exchange.  If you consider paper currency to be money, then it arose to track debts.
Activity: 496
Merit: 500
July 25, 2012, 04:51:10 PM

So, from what I understand there are two theories of money. One is that money arose as a medium of exchange (more efficient than barter). The other is that money arose as a way to denominate debts (more accurate than keeping track in your head). Are there any implications if the second is true rather than the first?
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1026
July 25, 2012, 04:45:37 PM
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1021
July 25, 2012, 11:11:57 AM
Activity: 55
July 25, 2012, 10:14:10 AM
Thats a movie that I cannot expect to be all that great. Great book though
Activity: 27
July 25, 2012, 10:10:11 AM
That movie was fucking boring as hell.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
July 25, 2012, 09:50:39 AM
I think the quote is; "The love of money is the root of all evil." A.K.A. greed
I personally don't agree, as I do not believe in evil. But I did like your read. Smiley

Specifically why I broke the second half into its own post:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1028350
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
July 24, 2012, 05:00:22 PM
Somehow, I don't think that posting "the speech" - even in shortened form - is going to encourage people to go and see the movie.  I would have happily listened to Richard Burton read the phone book but I don't think there's any actor, living or dead, who could have made that speech riveting and compelling.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
July 24, 2012, 04:57:35 PM
Atlas Shrugged part 2 coming out in 80 days.

Demand it at your local theater:
http://www.atlasshruggedmovie.com/demand
I kinda liked the movie for its fantasy aspect. It helps to have a few beers to help suspend disbelief. I just wish Ayn Rand had aliens instead of magic motors.
Pages:
Jump to: