Pages:
Author

Topic: Money Laundering? Has it gone too far? - page 2. (Read 1608 times)

legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
April 24, 2015, 11:40:57 AM
In my country, the former prime minister is accused for corruption and money laundering. The accused are also more former ministers in the government, known professor at university, big business people and others.
Based on this facts, at least in my country, yes, Money Laundering and corruption has gone to far.
In my opinion the problem is in the awareness of society about this problem and the morality of the people at the top.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
April 24, 2015, 04:42:47 AM
I often wondered when at the airport why people have to declare when they have more than x amount of cash with them.  They can do what they want in a free society, why can't they travel with all their money in cash form?

You can travel with as much cash as you want.  They just ask you declare over $10,000.
But why? If I am free to travel with more than $10k, why do they need to know that I am travelling with more than $10K? I would guess people declare they have more than $10k once, then either don't want to declare again, or leave the cash at home.  The governments are happy to give the banks trillions of $, they are happy to make your life uncomfortable to help them out too.

We are supposed to be living in a free society, I am aware that that illusion is paper thin, but it is often said and ideally would be enforced.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
April 24, 2015, 04:32:14 AM
Who wants competition? Fiat is money laundering. The banks do it. They don't want competition.

Smiley
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
April 24, 2015, 02:49:58 AM
It seems like every little thing that has to do with someone interacting with money recently is being interfered with in the name of "money laundering" laws.

Why are we just accepting the idea that money needs to be controlled so that the "bad guys" can't use it? Putting restrictions on every little thing in the name of whatever Money Laundering laws are supposed to be fighting?

Don't those laws make the dollar less fungible? Pretty much destroying the currency?

$1 held by a drug dealer no longer equates to $1 held by a liquor store owner. The drug dealer needs to pay extra to get $1 worth of value from that one dollar.

Louisiana used "money laundering" to pass a law against using cash to buy used stuff ( http://liberty247.net/its-now-illegal-to-use-cash-to-buy-used-goods-in-this-state/ ).

They use it to make sure every bank has tons of information on us, every Bitcoin exchange needs to know all about us. It makes it harder to move your cash around, giving Bitcoin a huge advantage over holding dollars.

When the money the drug dealers hold is worth less than the rest of the money it actually funnels more money to drug dealers since they can charge more and they need more to work within the black market. That is why they end up with stacks and stacks of money. It actually gives them an advantage over everyone else in the world of cash.

It's just insane.

So money in the hand of a drug dealer are worth less, ha ncie try but how will they know who really is a drug dealer, or not. I think that US is getting far away from the word freedom.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004
April 24, 2015, 02:45:16 AM
You can travel with as much cash as you want.  They just ask you declare over $10,000.

Do NOT go to the US with more than $10,000 in cash, even if you declare it. I once made that mistake. It isn't fun at all Sad

"Are you carrying anything on you I should know about?"
"Yes I have $15,000 in cash"
"Ok come right this way sir"
Why not carry bitcoin with your mobile phone Bitcoin wallet? You can load as many bitcoin as possible. No one will force you to claim your bitcoin holding. Besides that, bitcion is not recognized currency yet.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
April 24, 2015, 02:15:05 AM
This is nothing new.  Part of reason a exchange cost so much to set up in US is making sure it complies with KYC and other laws in each state, specifically not to be considered a money launder.

These laws are part of the reason I never did try to sell BTC on localbitcoins and see if I could profit.  Just to much liability I don't want.

"Bitcoins First Fellon" - http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoins-first-felon-charlie-shrem-begins-2-year-sentence/
Is Charlie Shrem in part for money laundering.
Activity: 882
Merit: 1006
April 24, 2015, 02:12:50 AM
You can travel with as much cash as you want.  They just ask you declare over $10,000.

Do NOT go to the US with more than $10,000 in cash, even if you declare it. I once made that mistake. It isn't fun at all Sad

"Are you carrying anything on you I should know about?"
"Yes I have $15,000 in cash"
"Ok come right this way sir"
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
April 24, 2015, 02:08:51 AM
I often wondered when at the airport why people have to declare when they have more than x amount of cash with them.  They can do what they want in a free society, why can't they travel with all their money in cash form?

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
April 23, 2015, 05:01:00 PM
They can do what they want in a free society, why can't they travel with all their money in cash form?

Who said that we were living in a free society?
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
April 23, 2015, 08:47:21 AM
Yesterday I tried to withdraw some money from a online betting account, I had deposited using paypal and the options for withdrawl were either paypal or straight to my account.
I selected straight to my account, then got an email a few hours later saying that to prevent money launderng, all withdrawls must be made by the same method as the deposits!

I also have a FX account which I need to do a KYC-esque update for every 6 months, why? Money laundering.. It is a bit over the top nowadays, I agree.  Wait until harsher cash controls come in.

I often wondered when at the airport why people have to declare when they have more than x amount of cash with them.  They can do what they want in a free society, why can't they travel with all their money in cash form?
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
April 23, 2015, 07:48:18 AM
It seems like every little thing that has to do with someone interacting with money recently is being interfered with in the name of "money laundering" laws.

Why are we just accepting the idea that money needs to be controlled so that the "bad guys" can't use it? Putting restrictions on every little thing in the name of whatever Money Laundering laws are supposed to be fighting?

Don't those laws make the dollar less fungible? Pretty much destroying the currency?

$1 held by a drug dealer no longer equates to $1 held by a liquor store owner. The drug dealer needs to pay extra to get $1 worth of value from that one dollar.

Louisiana used "money laundering" to pass a law against using cash to buy used stuff ( http://liberty247.net/its-now-illegal-to-use-cash-to-buy-used-goods-in-this-state/ ).

They use it to make sure every bank has tons of information on us, every Bitcoin exchange needs to know all about us. It makes it harder to move your cash around, giving Bitcoin a huge advantage over holding dollars.

When the money the drug dealers hold is worth less than the rest of the money it actually funnels more money to drug dealers since they can charge more and they need more to work within the black market. That is why they end up with stacks and stacks of money. It actually gives them an advantage over everyone else in the world of cash.

It's just insane.
Pages:
Jump to: