Pages:
Author

Topic: Money vs Barter - page 8. (Read 1865 times)

Activity: 1414
Merit: 228
Omicron is another FUD
April 26, 2018, 06:16:40 PM
Money is one of the important concepts, This section talks about money from the perspective of microeconomics.when people exchange goods and services without using money, this is called barter. "I'll cook dinner if you'll do the dishes" is an example of barter. Imagine an economy in wich i can sell services as a consultant to banks, but what i want is to buy a new suit. the clothing store that sell suits does not have any use for my services as a banking consultant. i sell consulting services for money, and i buy a suit using money. money serves as a medium of exchange. the bank does not sell suits. how can barter work?
before money is used our trading system we using a barter...then used gold and silver to make it more simple than barter,
because the thought is too complicated then the decision maker in every country made the money and its exchange rate,
so money is an update of barter...
Activity: 616
Merit: 256
April 26, 2018, 05:56:44 PM
In ancient economics when money is not  the main form of exchange barter is the main trading practice. Barter trades are still applicable to some remote areas for instance, person A wants to barter his 1 whole chicken to a 3 dozens of eggs from a person B. Money or fiat was established as a medium of exchange as replacement for weighing standards of precious stones like silver where it was used as medium of exchange in ancient trading for barters as you have noticed most currency names are derived from units of weights like the UK - pound, Spanish- peso(weight) Turkish - lira(latin word of pound) .
Activity: 182
Merit: 0
April 26, 2018, 05:05:11 PM
The primary difference between barter and currency systems is that a currency system uses an agreed-upon form of paper or coin money as an exchange system rather than directly trading goods and services through bartering. The main advantage of money over barter is that money is always going to be usable.  Barter is very often not possible.  This is because of the need for what is called a “coincidence of wants” (sometimes called a “double coincidence of wants”). Think about how barter works.  You have to trade something you have for something you want.  The problem with that is that the other person also has to want the thing that you have.  This is the coincidence of wants.
Activity: 63
April 26, 2018, 04:18:27 PM
Barter is the old school way of purchasing goods. Using another goods to purchase goods. Barter is still exsistent as of now. There are still people using barter and will still be exsistent in coming years. Money, it is used as a mode of payment.
Activity: 140
April 26, 2018, 04:12:35 PM
money is the new generation of barter. it is of the same process but it’s just using money as the mode of exchange.
Activity: 94
April 26, 2018, 04:07:30 PM
True to an extent money is still barter, you just replaced the good that you exchanged with.
Activity: 378
Merit: 100
ApolloX
April 26, 2018, 04:00:35 PM
I don't actually think that we need "VS" here because money = barter actually.
Activity: 99
April 26, 2018, 03:58:02 PM
barter is cool when both sides need the thing, but money/crypto is much more often needed)
Activity: 504
Merit: 101
April 26, 2018, 03:52:42 PM
Money is one of the important concepts, This section talks about money from the perspective of microeconomics.when people exchange goods and services without using money, this is called barter. "I'll cook dinner if you'll do the dishes" is an example of barter. Imagine an economy in wich i can sell services as a consultant to banks, but what i want is to buy a new suit. the clothing store that sell suits does not have any use for my services as a banking consultant. i sell consulting services for money, and i buy a suit using money. money serves as a medium of exchange. the bank does not sell suits. how can barter work?
before money first money was created (shells, ceasalt) people used only barter ways to gain what they want. Well, seems like it didnt work out well.
During barter  system, there are lot of problem that they have encountered, that is why they are thankful when money was created that they can finally evaluate or measure properly the value of the thing that they are buying/selling, soon, it won't be impossible if crypto will replace fiat too.
Activity: 518
Merit: 100
April 26, 2018, 03:39:06 PM

People had survived with barter system so it is possible. I do not think it would be as convenient as current system , perhaps that is why it evolved.
Barter was relevant until the objects used in use was at least. At complication of any sphere barter becomes almost impossible. For this reason money has been thought up.
Activity: 20
April 26, 2018, 07:38:03 AM
before money first money was created (shells, ceasalt) people used only barter ways to gain what they want. Well, seems like it didnt work out well.
Activity: 100
Merit: 24
GPTCash Weekly Airdrop: https://discord.gg/DPgHv6X
April 26, 2018, 06:51:08 AM

People had survived with barter system so it is possible. I do not think it would be as convenient as current system , perhaps that is why it evolved.
Activity: 238
Merit: 10
April 26, 2018, 06:33:43 AM
Barter definately have its advantages, but anyway having money, electronic or crypto especially, is way more practicaly and comfortably
Activity: 67
April 26, 2018, 06:27:10 AM

I think this is one of the biggest potential use cases for crypto, the barter economy. Once lightning, plasma, sharding, raiden and all of the other scaling solutions are implemented resource sharing like what Filecoin are trying to do will become allot more common place and I can see a future where I will trade some cpu power for maybe some extra file storage space.
Activity: 36
Merit: 2
April 26, 2018, 06:23:26 AM
No, at least not according to David Graeber

"The author claims that debt and credit historically appeared before money, which itself appeared before barter. This is the opposite of the narrative given in standard economics texts dating back to Adam Smith. To support this, he cites numerous historical, ethnographic and archaeological studies. He also claims that the standard economics texts cite no evidence for suggesting that money came before barter, credit and debt, and he has seen no credible reports suggesting such."
Activity: 406
Merit: 2
April 26, 2018, 06:22:13 AM
I think for now in this era of barter system is difficult to apply, because as you say everyone has different needs, to get it then created money to simplify the transaction and to become a reference or benchmark price, but sometimes the difference of currency complicate it then I hope kedepanya crypto money can be a single money so that the transaction will be easy wherever we are

Activity: 179
Merit: 10
April 26, 2018, 06:12:43 AM
Money is a universal means of payment for goods. Barter trade is appropriate if both people are interested in each other's goods or services. For example, in the advertising business this type of exchange is very common
Activity: 48
April 26, 2018, 05:52:38 AM
Money system works great. It's bartering, but working through a common medium of exchange. Bartering becomes too unwieldy on the large scale.
Activity: 322
Merit: 141
April 26, 2018, 05:42:27 AM
Well, you have an actual good example of problems with barter system in foreign exchange.
One country can always produce some things and has to import others. You will notice, however, that there are many examples of countries that need a good but have nothing but money to offer in return.

Gas is a nice example. In Eastern Europe, most of the natural gas is imported from Ukraine and Russia. You need it, and you have to buy it, however, although you can make some export to Ukraine and Russia, you simply cannot balance it out with your needs for natural gas as one exceeds the other by far.
Activity: 1680
Merit: 655
April 26, 2018, 05:41:29 AM
A lot of people here think that the Barter System does not exist anymore because of what they are calling "Coincidence of Wants", well let me prove you wrong because if you look at it money cannot buy everything. Some examples I see on how barter system still exist is in the area of politics where a government is selling their publicly owned companies to private corporations, mainly it doesn't revolve around the selling price but the promise of continuation and better service that only a private corporation can handle. That is why we are seeing transportations, jails, and government projects being handled by corporations in exchange for a better service they can provide compared to the government handling it. Yes is still involves money but the government wouldn't sell it in the first place if they don't have the capacity to handle its operations.

In the small scale one of the commonly most traded things are shoes from sneakerheads. You will see here is that people are trying to trade their Jordans in exchange of another pair of shoes, some will include cash, some will straight trade it shoe to shoe. So you see both large scale and small scale the barter system still works you just need to have a match or agreement with the other party.
Pages:
Jump to: