Pages:
Author

Topic: More Bitshares Greed - page 3. (Read 12233 times)

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
January 16, 2015, 05:11:42 PM
I can't imagine Come-from-Beyond will be back until someone has worked it out and it is documented, backed with analysis and not analogies or hand waving. It would be a waste of his time.

I'm not a fan of whitepapers and math, I prefer modelling.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
January 16, 2015, 04:44:59 PM
A flase flag isn't needed. You fellas are doing a fine job on your own  Cheesy

An aeronautical engineer of a new airplane design was asked "How do you know it will stay up if one of its three engines starts to malfunction?"

"I don't." came the reply. "When it comes to flight, I prefer to innovate empirically. But if you could work it out, I would be very interested to know. You could be famous.."

I can't imagine Come-from-Beyond will be back until someone has worked it out and it is documented, backed with analysis and not analogies or hand waving. It would be a waste of his time.

I will leave you guys to it.
Activity: 770
Merit: 566
fractally
January 16, 2015, 03:48:36 PM
Activity: 547
Merit: 502
January 16, 2015, 01:59:41 AM
What makes BitShares attractive is that you have a developer who actually understands economics.  The blog posts are quite refreshing and serve as a reminder about the immense potential this experiment has.

I do not see many other crypto dev's that combine immense economic understanding with the ability to code.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042
White Male Libertarian Bro
January 16, 2015, 01:54:11 AM
Activity: 504
January 15, 2015, 11:41:57 PM
TURNING A NEW PAGE

Thanks largely to the recent professional example set by Come-from-Beyond, this thread has taken a decidedly more civil tone and therefore may be a candidate for us to engage in serious discussions with a community other than our own. Having read some of our sincere responses above, perhaps some of the many repeat viewers of this thread are a bit more inclined to engage with the BitShares community as potential friends.  We hope so.

We are often, correctly, criticized for not vetting ideas here on bitcointalk.  This is primarily because others were nice enough to set up a dedicated forum at bitsharestalk.org and we wanted to support that generosity by spending a lot of our time there.  But I'll admit, part of the reason has been the same reason people learn not to touch a hot stove.  After getting burned a few times, the natural reaction is to stop touching it!

While this thread started out as an unfortunate attempt to inflict damage, it has thankfully now turned into something else entirely.  After 3500+ views it has become a nice little cross-pollinating mini-forum of its own where some good exchanges are beginning to take place.  We want to support that.

So I'm going to go out on a limb and post an article for discussion that Bytemaster just released.   The article is intended to share some the author's insights on a somewhat neutral topic in an edifying and professional way.  We hope you find it worth your time.  We would value all serious comments.   Those who have asked for a way to comment on Bytemaster's blog directly, you now have a test case before you:

Who knows?  If this works out, maybe we can continue to honor this community with useful content you can review on your own home turf!   I certainly would enjoy that.   Smiley
Activity: 770
Merit: 566
fractally
January 15, 2015, 05:45:38 PM
So Bitshares chose 101 nodes so the network with two chains would always have a majority, 51 to 50.

When asked "What if we get [three chains of] 34 + 34 + 33?" the answer is...

He [Bytemaster] admits that he is "an engineer and not inclined to academic rigor",

It seems you are saying there is no mechanism for regaining consensus in Bitshares for when there are more than two competing chains? If you don't have an answer to "what if we get 34 + 34 + 33?", then it would follow that there can't be a mechanism to resolve it in the protocol?

If that is true, how would any consensus ever be regained?

(hadn't planned to expand on my previous 'yikes!', but the mods didn't like just that on its own)

The academic vs engineer was in regards to the B. Generals problem.

If there are more than 2 forks then the delegates cooperate to resolve it.  We could automate it for most cases by picking the chain with the highest total shareholder approval where you sum the approval of the delegates producing blocks on each chain.  This would resolve the tie in almost all cases.   In practice, delegates in the smallest group would pick one of two largest groups.  IE: the 33 group would want to pick a horse as soon as possible so they can start getting paid again.   Eventually you would get 50/51 and then the losers would have to join the majority.   

There is no reason for a delegate to produce blocks on a minority fork unless he believes the majority fork is "bad" and is hoping the shareholders will vote new delegates to support his fork. 

Activity: 574
January 15, 2015, 02:50:01 PM
So Bitshares chose 101 nodes so the network with two chains would always have a majority, 51 to 50.

When asked "What if we get [three chains of] 34 + 34 + 33?" the answer is...

He [Bytemaster] admits that he is "an engineer and not inclined to academic rigor",

It seems you are saying there is no mechanism for regaining consensus in Bitshares for when there are more than two competing chains? If you don't have an answer to "what if we get 34 + 34 + 33?", then it would follow that there can't be a mechanism to resolve it in the protocol?

If that is true, how would any consensus ever be regained?

(hadn't planned to expand on my previous 'yikes!', but the mods didn't like just that on its own)
January 15, 2015, 01:02:13 AM
This is just a space holder answer...

While we are waiting I'd like to add few words to the discussion above.

The humankind knows several ways to counteract Sybil attack and all of them can be categorized into two distinct groups - centralized certification and resource testing. BitShares uses an interesting approach, it's an alloy of the both, people can do their own certification and trust becomes a resource here. Quite often alloys have better qualities than their separate components, you guys should spend more time on formalization and analysis of your method to get rid of big part of accusations voiced upthread. Perhaps you could borrow some stuff from http://www.math.cmu.edu/~adf/research/SybilGuard.pdf, that paper sounds similar to BitShares delegates without bells and whistles.

Bytemaster asked me to post this for him (since I have a keyboard right now and he has an iPhone).  He thought your metaphor of an alloy was quite good.  He admits that he is "an engineer and not inclined to academic rigor", so his approach is to stand on the shoulders of giants, innovate empirically, watch to see how it works, and adapt.  

I know engineers, they LOVE to change things.
-- Commander Leonard 'Bones' McCoy, M.D.

This is an opportunity for someone who is inclined toward rigor to step in and become famous by laying the underpinning theory for everybody.  It would probably be more generally accepted if somebody from outside the BitShares community did it anyway.

The most important thing to remember is that
the source of the decentralization is not in the 101 nodes but in how they are selected.

I envision that a deep thinker with suitable academic credentials could write an award-winning paper with a title something like,

Engineering design principles
for distributed, fault-tolerant, self-organizing, trustless systems
using a continuously reconfiguring ring of transparently auditable signing agents
selected and monitored by reputation-based stakeholder consensus
in a fully-decentralized delegated proof of stake network.

We would certainly study such a paper if someone were to produce it!

Smiley
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
January 14, 2015, 06:48:44 PM
Come-from-Beyond, your presence here is quite refreshing. Thank you.
January 14, 2015, 06:32:56 PM
Much appreciated. 
Thanks!  Smiley
legendary
January 14, 2015, 06:16:27 PM
This is just a space holder answer...

While we are waiting I'd like to add few words to the discussion above.

The humankind knows several ways to counteract Sybil attack and all of them can be categorized into two distinct groups - centralized certification and resource testing. BitShares uses an interesting approach, it's an alloy of the both, people can do their own certification and trust becomes a resource here. Quite often alloys have better qualities than their separate components, you guys should spend more time on formalization and analysis of your method to get rid of big part of accusations voiced upthread. Perhaps you could borrow some stuff from http://www.math.cmu.edu/~adf/research/SybilGuard.pdf, that paper sounds similar to BitShares delegates without bells and whistles.
January 14, 2015, 05:52:17 PM
If BitShares can be modelled in terms of Byzantine generals problem then 51 is an overkill (because even 1 would be enough) or 51 is not enough (you need at least 67). Or maybe you see a 3rd option?
Before this thread goes to total off-topic I'd like to remind about my question.

I called your question to Bytemaster's attention, so it's in his queue.  

Keep in mind that the reasons for the number 101 also include the fault tolerance aspect.  As a design rule of thumb, loss of one node for any reason should not drop average block production rate per 1010-second rotation by more than 1% .  Now that BitShares also uses most-reputable-node delegate slots as a way to pay support providers we like having 101 such slots available for flexibility in stakeholder allocation of authorized equity funding streams.

When you fold in the fact that the 101 generals have public reputations to protect and that treasonous acts are detectable and correctable by the stakeholders, then even if you max out at only 33 allowable traitors, you are probably doing fine.  

This is just a space holder answer from someone who claims no qualifications to respond at your level.  I'll leave the more Byzantine parts of your question for Dan.

Smiley

legendary
January 14, 2015, 02:34:57 PM
Well for starters, there are 101 to make it odd, so it can never be evenly split...

I see that you chose 101 because it's 50 + 51. To be able to decide which group to join if the network splits...

Well, I don't get why you think that at least one group will include at least 51 delegates, what if we get 34 + 34 + 33?

Also, take a look at this (from http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/lamport/pubs/byz.pdf):
Reliable computer systems must handle malfunctioning components that give conflicting information
to different parts of the system. This situation can be expressed abstractly in terms of a group of
generals of the Byzantine army camped with their troops around an enemy city. Communicating only
by messenger, the generals must agree upon a common battle plan. However, one or more of them
may be traitors who will try to confuse the others. The problem is to find an algorithm to ensure that
the loyal generals will reach agreement. It is shown that, using only oral messages, this problem is
solvable if and only if more than two-thirds of the generals are loyal
; so a single traitor can confound
two loyal generals. With unforgeable written messages, the problem is solvable for any number of
generals and possible traitors.
Applications of the solutions to reliable computer systems are then
discussed.
If BitShares can be modelled in terms of Byzantine generals problem then 51 is an overkill (because even 1 would be enough) or 51 is not enough (you need at least 67). Or maybe you see a 3rd option?

Before this thread goes to total off-topic I'd like to remind about my question.
January 14, 2015, 01:36:46 PM

If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.

I've been waiting years to use that line on bytemaster and I figured this might be one of the last chances to do so. Tongue

He's a part of Bitcoin history: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6306 Probably the most famous Satoshi quote there is. Cheesy

Well played.  Smiley

legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
January 14, 2015, 01:05:47 PM

If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.

Please give us the link where you trying to convince someone about questions of this topic.
Or you prefer to copy/paste that Satoshi says and run away?  Smiley

I've been waiting years to use that line on bytemaster and I figured this might be one of the last chances to do so. Tongue

He's a part of Bitcoin history: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6306 Probably the most famous Satoshi quote there is. Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1018
January 14, 2015, 12:55:10 PM

Please give us the link where you trying to convince someone about questions of this topic.
Or you prefer to copy/paste that Satoshi says and run away?  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
January 14, 2015, 12:42:14 PM

January 14, 2015, 11:03:54 AM
I guess one man's consensus is another man's collusion.   Smiley

People are merely agreeing on who they trust, proportional to the stake they have at risk.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042
White Male Libertarian Bro
January 14, 2015, 03:51:57 AM
I think I could make a pretty good argument that delegates' "real world" identities being known by the community doesn't really matter or prevent a "Sybil attack".  Imo, what would constitute a "Sybil attack" is the collusion of delegates' motives.  I'm also pretty positive that the colluding delegates wouldn't "harm" the Bitshares' ecosystem, but instead use their power to manipulate delegate elections to capitalize on the delegate positions.  Everybody can know everyones' name, but it's impossible to know their true intentions.

Any block chain has the problem that a few big players can collude, whether they are large stakeholders or large hashpoolers.  We dilute that down to under one percent influence per delegate, max.

Then there's the question of what they can collude about.  We can all observe whether they are performing their very limited block signing job to spec or not. We can look at their published price feeds. They have no other power.

That's true that in all blockchains stakeholders/hashpower can collude, but they can only collude in a one-to-one proportion to their stake/hash.  Since approval voting is used in delegate elections, I maintain that large stakeholders can effectively collude to a multiple proportion of their stake.  Whereby, for example, 20% of colluding stake can disproportionately influence the elections of more than 20% of the delegates.  This leads to a coalition of a few wealthy stakeholders being able to determine the outcomes of the mass majority of the delegate elections.  This is especially true considering that voter turnout of smaller stakeholders will be lower than the voter turnout of larger stakeholders.  As I said previously, it would be the intention of the colluding wealthy stakeholders to not harm Bitshares, but to elect delegates from which they would derive monetary gain in excess to their proportion of stake in the system at the expense of all other stakeholders.
Pages:
Jump to: