Pages:
Author

Topic: Most safe wallet for mobile wallet - page 2. (Read 448 times)

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
January 05, 2024, 12:41:18 PM
Blockstream Green is a nice addition to the current list of suggestions, https://blockstream.com/green/
Blockstream Green is now simply called Green Wallet. I remember that there were issues with verifying that the code matches the binaries for this software in the past, so I looked it up on Wallet Scrutiny. Indeed, both the Android and iOS versions didn't match.
https://walletscrutiny.com/android/com.greenaddress.greenbits_android_wallet/
https://walletscrutiny.com/iphone/io.blockstream.green/

Because it's a hot wallet, don't store more than $500.00 of Bitcoin in there.
Depending on who you are, that's pocket change or more than what they make in a month. While one of my buddies was still an active pro athlete, that's the kind of money he would waste on slot machines on a night out (the moron).
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1823
January 05, 2024, 07:43:37 AM
Blockstream Green is a nice addition to the current list of suggestions, https://blockstream.com/green/

For the debate about the safety of your mobile devices, I believe Apple's devices are generally safer/more secure than Android devices because of Apple's walled garden. It's not invulnerable, but generally safer.

How you set up your Apple device will matter. Don't connect it to anything, like iCloud, that will upload data to their servers. iCloud was built for user convenience, and more convenience = possibly larger attack surface.

Because it's a hot wallet, don't store more than $500.00 of Bitcoin in there.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 5634
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
January 05, 2024, 07:31:46 AM
~snip~
I would say that most wallets (at least the open-source ones) are equally safe, and then it all depends on how safe your device is.

I think we can argue endlessly about which wallet is the best (whether it's mobile, desktop or HW), but everyone should actually ask themselves how secure is the device on which they will use a wallet. Of course, smartphones today have become something that almost everyone has, but very few users pay attention to their security, whether it's about having some kind of antivirus program or taking into account whether their phone regularly receives security/critical updates.

Given that many smartphone users download a lot of applications (mostly unnecessary ones), there is a high probability that they will also download one with malicious intentions, and then, unfortunately, it's game over. I would just emphasize that attention should also be paid to privacy when choosing a mobile wallet, which would mean that it would be very good if the wallet already had built-in support for Tor.
Activity: 966
Merit: 701
January 04, 2024, 07:06:47 PM
I only use two wallets. Blue wallet for iOS and Electrum wallet for android devices. Unstoppable wallet is also a good choice if you ever decide to buy altcoins.
Activity: 406
Merit: 443
January 04, 2024, 04:08:34 AM
Android is open source and IOS is closed source but its not really going to make any difference.

We can say the same argument for Windows and Linux. It is true that the iOS eco system is better, but the open source system wins.

the price of Android phones is cheaper and you cant buy a new iPhone (+$500) or customize your old one only to be a bitcoin wallet, while this can be done with Android phones at a price lower than $100 or purchase an open source hardware wallet such as Passport.

Both these wallets are only available for Android.
Yes, because my suggestions go in the direction of choosing an open source phone.

Electrum and Blue wallets are good for storing small amounts of BTC on mobile and I am an Android user and using Electrum for years now.
Electrum is a good wallet but their features on Android are much less than on desktop
Activity: 2310
Merit: 757
Bitcoin = Financial freedom
January 04, 2024, 03:48:07 AM
If you can, Samourai Wallet, and electrum are all suitable options.

Yamane_Keto mentioned three wallets. For some reason your quote only shows two. I don't know if you removed Blue Wallet from the list or what happened there. Anyways, Blue Wallet works with both operating systems.

The reason is these two wallets didn't meet the requirement of OP is asking for. Fake Samourai wallets roam around IOS platform that has nothing to do with the actual Samourai wallet.

Apple device
Android device

Also, I wanted to say more about the Samourai wallet regarding their open source, cause their repositories haven't been updated in the last four years which raised some flags when their last update was released just a couple of months ago.

Electrum and Blue wallets are good for storing small amounts of BTC on mobile and I am an Android user and using Electrum for years now.
legendary
January 03, 2024, 01:05:10 PM

Yamane_Keto mentioned three wallets. For some reason your quote only shows two. I don't know if you removed Blue Wallet from the list or what happened there. Anyways, Blue Wallet works with both operating systems.

Just make sure you don't use Samourai Wallet, their app spies on all of your past and future Bitcoin transactions and sends it to their server.
So does Electrum, with the difference that there isn't a central server, but a long list of community-operated nodes. But those nodes can be run by harmless private entities or subjects with other motives, willing to spy on you and find out as much about you as possible.   
Activity: 826
Merit: 1010
Only BTC
January 03, 2024, 12:02:24 PM
they are the safest online wallets and i think they are both available on iOS but i am not sure if they are both available on Android devices.
It is the other way round, they are both available on android, but Electrum is not available on ios. So if you have an ios device you have to use BlueWallet if you must choose between the two wallets.
Activity: 434
Merit: 500
January 03, 2024, 11:07:08 AM
Bluewallet is open source and available in both operating systems. I'd go with that.

I would say that most wallets (at least the open-source ones) are equally safe, and then it all depends on how safe your device is.
Safety of your coins also come with the way you safeguard yourself, your wallet and your keys and choosing a safe wallet does not guarantee total safety because they are online wallets and can easily be attacked or compromised.

Online wallets can get compromised but if you are willing to risk it or you think you can be cautious enough then you should try Bluewallet or Electrum they are the safest online wallets and i think they are both available on iOS but i am not sure if they are both available on Android devices.

You can read through this thread to understand wallets better and also the best practices to ensure privacy and tight security.

[General] Bitcoin Wallets - Which, what, why?
Activity: 378
Merit: 93
Enable v2transport=1 and mempoolfullrbf=1
January 03, 2024, 10:51:14 AM
Zeus and Blixt are some good options for mobile, both support Lightning.  Just make sure you don't use Samourai Wallet, their app spies on all of your past and future Bitcoin transactions and sends it to their server.
Activity: 322
Merit: 306
Farewell LEO o_e_l_e_o
January 03, 2024, 05:28:58 AM
... From my experience, and as far as I can tell browsing on mobile phone forums, most people are rooting their phone to customize it further. Stuff like installing custom Youtube to block ads etc. At the end of the day using a phone is just risky and anyone should be aware of the risk.

Mobile use specifically for wallets is not recommended for using various types of applications that are not needed. That's why I mentioned in the post above that if the OP cannot ensure that the mobile (Android and iOS) is truly safe without any online activity, then using a wallet will not be safe.

I followed one of the posts I came across on a forum on how to use the mobile version of the wallet even if it was only used as a small transaction. A mobile with a wallet installed cannot have more other applications, even built-in applications. If the default mobile application can be uninstalled, that also needs to be done.

You are right. The act of installing an application that functions to prevent advertising sourced from outside — third parties will ultimately be very risky.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
January 03, 2024, 05:00:04 AM
Formatting (factory reset) may not be completely secure because some malware can be buried deep into the root folders /boot and|or /recovery partitions in that case wiping data doesn't remove the existing malware.
Using TWRP to format the boot drive can probably help if your phone is infected at that level. But most newer phones need their firmware to be unlocked before they can flash a custom recovery software. CMIIW.

Rooting/jailbreaking gives complete access of the device so one who know what they are doing can make it useful but mostly they make it more vulnerable and they do it just to install pirated apps.
Are there any pirated Android apps that need root access though? From my experience, and as far as I can tell browsing on mobile phone forums, most people are rooting their phone to customize it further. Stuff like installing custom Youtube to block ads etc. At the end of the day using a phone is just risky and anyone should be aware of the risk.
Activity: 2310
Merit: 757
Bitcoin = Financial freedom
January 03, 2024, 03:32:28 AM
format your phone,
Formatting (factory reset) may not be completely secure because some malware can be buried deep into the root folders /boot and|or /recovery partitions in that case wiping data doesn't remove the existing malware.

For the record, cheap Android devices are found to have pre-installed malware in them so be careful with the device if you are buying one for crypto storage.
make sure that OS is open source
Android is open source and IOS is closed source but its not really going to make any difference.
that there is no root or installed apps, use the device to browse trusted sites only, making calls and avoid downloading any new apps.
Rooting/jailbreaking gives complete access of the device so one who know what they are doing can make it useful but mostly they make it more vulnerable and they do it just to install pirated apps.

Activity: 406
Merit: 443
January 03, 2024, 01:57:53 AM
Before that, you need to either buy a new phone (then the price of Hardware Wallet as Passport will be acceptable) or format your phone, make sure that OS is open source, that there is no root or installed apps, use the device to browse trusted sites only, making calls and avoid downloading any new apps. If you can, Samourai Wallet, blue wallet, and electrum are all suitable options.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
January 03, 2024, 12:23:26 AM
BlueWallet(and probably Phoenix for Lightning). It is fully open-source and has sleek UI/UX, so it's pretty much my go-to when recommending wallets to normies.

Of course, for higher security, you know the drill: hardware wallets.

https://bluewallet.io/
https://phoenix.acinq.co/
legendary
January 02, 2024, 03:07:23 PM
All mobile wallets are unsafe on a vulnerable device or if operated by a person who doesn't know how to protect their phone and the coins stored in its wallets.
If you don't belong to that group of people, then try either Blue Wallet or Electrum. Both are safe, but Blue Wallet is a more modern and feature-rich mobile wallet compared to Electrum that lacks certain options that are available for desktop machines. It's also works on both iOS and Android systems, while Electrum only supports Android.
Activity: 322
Merit: 306
Farewell LEO o_e_l_e_o
January 02, 2024, 01:00:00 PM
I know, it's not recommended to store many Coins on a mobile wallet but when it's a low amount, what wallet is most safe for mobile wallet?

No requirement to store Altcoin, Bitcoin is enough.

Only trusted sources and for

Apple device
Android device

I'm just connecting from what other people have mentioned here that as long as you can't ensure that the mobile wallet (IOS and Android) you use doesn't have internet access (usually people use SIM cards on mobile), then it won't be safe.

For the question of good wallets without having to support altcoins, the answer is BlueWallet and Electrum. BlueWallet supports both types of mobile (IOS and Android). Electrum is also compatible with the Android mobile version only, not the IOS version.

Electrum and BlueWallet are open source Bitcoin wallets. Open source wallets are recommended for use. The use of it (wallet) must be correct.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
January 02, 2024, 12:38:47 PM
I know, it's not recommended to store many Coins on a mobile wallet but when it's a low amount, what wallet is most safe for mobile wallet?
If something is going to be safe depends more from you the user of wallet than from anything else.
Perfectly safe wallet doesn't exist, and even if it existed users could easily leak seed words and make other mistakes to turn it into unsafe wallet.

I would narrow your choices and select only open source wallets, something like Electrum and Green wallet, are good enough bitcoin only mobile wallets that work for mobile devices.
There are other wallets that can be useful if you want to use Lightning Network along with Bitcoin mainnet.

You can find more wallets options on the thebitcoinhole website:
https://thebitcoinhole.com/software-wallets
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
January 02, 2024, 12:29:19 PM
Your mobile wallet is online. Online wallets are not safe like cold wallets which are offline.

My advise is that you should not hold more than the amount that you can afford to lose on mobile wallets. It is good to get yourself a cold wallet. If you can not buy a hardware wallet, you can go for wallet on airgapped device.

Or you can go for multisig wallet if you need a safe online wallet. If you have 2 or 3 phones, you can use it to setup a multisig wallet.

The wallets that I have used on mobile phone that I can recommend are Bluewallet, Electrum and Samourai. For multisig, use Electrum. Although, Bluewallet has 2-of-3 multisig which is called vault, but Electrum multisig is perfect as you can use it for up to 15 signers and also you will be able to use it for 2-of-2 multisig.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1010
Only BTC
January 02, 2024, 12:20:13 PM
Electrum is compatible with android mobile devices but not ios, and Electrum on mobile also lacks a lot of features, so BlueWallet is your best option. Other than being open source, you can use features like coin control or freezing utxo's, you can also customize your tx fee on BlueWallet. However take note that your funds is only as safe as the device you store it in.
Pages:
Jump to: