Pages:
Author

Topic: Motherboard designed for mining, and better riser cables in this thread. - page 2. (Read 63275 times)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0
Updated BOARD BIOS... swapped a bad rizer got 5 cards working.
6 Card wont work even with swapped rizers.

SECOND identical board (h81 btc)
updated bios
Tried to add 2 cards... either one works fine... but both wont work.

USB 3 Powered Risers.

Problems continue
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
I am happy to have the 30cm cables. Its so much better then the normal riser..
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
With those longer riser cables, 30cm... I had so much problem, but then i wrapped alumimum around the cable and placed plastic wrap over the aluminum, and some of my problems went away.

Really, aluminium? What problems went away ?
Activity: 132
Merit: 100
With those longer riser cables, 30cm... I had so much problem, but then i wrapped alumimum around the cable and placed plastic wrap over the aluminum, and some of my problems went away.
So I randomly I just got 5 cards to work by taking a rizer out of the 16x slot.

Then it all stopped working again. With the 16x slot or without.

I can consistently get three cards to work and when they don't i just have to reseat the riser on the motherboard. However when i add the fourth card even if it was tested as working xorg goes back to 100%

Leads me to believe rizers are very touchy and need to get better seated/attached.
Problem is I cant even start CGMINER because XORG is hanging.

Just tried the amd-catalyst-13.11-betav9.95-linux-x86.x86_64 and again no luck Sad

Same problem (XORG @ 100%) no login screen / cgminer -n hangs
 1096 root      20   0 81052 8388 6436 R  100  0.4   2:09.39 Xorg     
Activity: 364
There was a time when I had all 6 cards detecting, but only one would hash. Cgminer would give me an ADL mismatch. Different drivers fixed the problem.

Are you sure the issue is the driver when I can run with one card just fine?

I am trying this right now anyway.  But I did try Beta 13.1  9.94 Beta, Beta 14.1 and 13.2 with Identical results which made me believe it was not a driver issue.

Activity: 364
Try these drivers over top of a fresh 13.10 install. Just drop all three cards in and go from the start.

http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/17508/

Install these first, before building the driver...

sudo apt-get install dh-make dh-modaliases execstack libc6-i386 lib32gcc1

Set execute permission, build it, and install it.

After...

sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial --force
sudo reboot

On reboot, you should be good to go.

If it always boots with one card on a riser plugged in, try every card in that config to rule out  a problem with the hardware.
Then try each pci-e slot out.

Sorry, I don't have time to read a reddit thread (does anyone?)

Yea Makes sense(about reddit) so here is TLDR

I did try to swap places/ rizers/ etc ...
It seems there are other people on linux experiencing identical problems on the usb powered rizers.
Strange is on other motheboards when I run 3-4 cards everything is fine and I only experience a similar problem if a rizer is not well connected to the board or card or the cards pcie are not well connected.

This is the xorg.conf
http://pastebin.com/SGe2mLy9

Xorg Log http://pastebin.com/Bv0dPUGX
Activity: 378
If it always boots with one card on a riser plugged in, try every card in that config to rule out  a problem with the hardware.
Then try each pci-e slot out.

Sorry, I don't have time to read a reddit thread (does anyone?)
When XORG hangs I can still SSH into the box but I followed your steps for re initializing the card and no luck.

Xorg still at 100% and cgmine -n hangs.

http://imgur.com/TfuF3zy
Having issues with Asrock H81 BTC and 6 280x Tri-X Saphire  USB 3 Powered Rizers on Linux  (Debian, Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 14.04)
ADL SDK 2.9/2.8 and Catalyst 13.2 and 14.1

The issue is consistant on all boards Xorg hangs @100% at startup without seeing login screen(usually black screen). This causes "cgminer -n" to hang at startup.

If all cards but 1 or 2 cards are removed the boot is fine and I can mine no problem.

Detailed investigation on reddit where many other people are having the same issues.
http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoinmining/comments/1xpir6/ubuntu_and_xorg_at_100_and_cgminer_n_hangs_6_cards/

I've got no issues with them, using ubuntu 13.10 and the last beta drivers. Haven't tried the ones released a few days ago, is there a changelog? Can you boot up with the one card plugged in and try the following

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo reboot now

plug the rest of your cards in, should boot this time

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial
sudo reboot now

after reset
export DISPLAY=:0
xhost +
sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --odgt

That's what I go through whenever I change cards, add cards, etc. I've had some other systems hang up hard that needed this as well.
Having issues with Asrock H81 BTC and 6 280x Tri-X Saphire  USB 3 Powered Rizers on Linux  (Debian, Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 14.04)
ADL SDK 2.9/2.8 and Catalyst 13.2 and 14.1

The issue is consistant on all boards Xorg hangs @100% at startup without seeing login screen(usually black screen). This causes "cgminer -n" to hang at startup.

If all cards but 1 or 2 cards are removed the boot is fine and I can mine no problem.

Detailed investigation on reddit where many other people are having the same issues.
http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoinmining/comments/1xpir6/ubuntu_and_xorg_at_100_and_cgminer_n_hangs_6_cards/

Activity: 59
I've found a super easy way to short the 1x presence pins. Take a 68 ohm resister (same thing you use to make dummy plugs) and use that to short the 2 slots in the bus. No more trying to cut down wires. No more bending before they fully insert. It works instantly. Hope I save someone here countless hours.
So how are people's testing with this board going?  Anyone put it through the ringers with 7990s or 4-6 290's or 290x's?  I really want to know how this board handles the higher powered boards with powered risers or even without.  My initial experiences with this board seem to indicate its not giving enough power over the 1x slots, even with powered risers.  Please feel free to prove me wrong.

My config:
Windows 8.1
XFX 7990 reference design
Powered riser in 1x slot = Display Driver stopped and has recovered problems
with card by itself in 16x slot = stable until you try to add another card - then Display Driver issues again.

I'm utterly disappointed with this board.  Maybe you have the information to make me happier?  LOL

If you're going to post it in multiple threads, at least post the same info. You are wrong about power, that isn't how it works. These motherboards work fine, I've had zero issues with them.
Activity: 13
So how are people's testing with this board going?  Anyone put it through the ringers with 7990s or 4-6 290's or 290x's?  I really want to know how this board handles the higher powered boards with powered risers or even without.  My initial experiences with this board seem to indicate its not giving enough power over the 1x slots, even with powered risers.  Please feel free to prove me wrong.

My config:
Windows 8.1
XFX 7990 reference design
Powered riser in 1x slot = Display Driver stopped and has recovered problems
with card by itself in 16x slot = stable until you try to add another card - then Display Driver issues again.

I'm utterly disappointed with this board.  Maybe you have the information to make me happier?  LOL
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
I read about fried Asrock Pro BTC boards when people used them with powered risers but also heard claims that without powered risers only 2-3 cards would work.

I'm planning on building a rig with an Asrock Pro BTC mobo in mind with 5 cards, but with 2-3 types of video cards, with different power consumptions. So what would be the safest route to take?

Always use powered risers and if you don't understand what I just wrote, let me put it a different way..............................

ALWAYS FREAKING USE POWERED RISERS!

There!

Get it?

Got it?

Good!

My $.02.

Wink

Big thanks to LostDutchman saved me from a lot of headache's!
cheers! Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: