Pages:
Author

Topic: mt gox account stolen, I lost all my money - page 2. (Read 5397 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016
Stop believing the myth that TFA is uncrackable.
It does improve security, sure, but it is no way the holy grail.
There have been precedents where malware could steal funds despite TFA.

http://www.wired.com/insights/2013/04/five-myths-of-two-factor-authentication-and-the-reality/

Please provide some examples, your linked article did nothing of the sort.  

Nobody said anything about holy grail but extraordinary claims require extraordinary details. The OP provided no details so to assume MtGox 2FA has been compromised is dubious at this time.

Measures like the above would greatly help secure user accounts (in addition to TFA) while being rather easy to implement, so Gox really has no excuses for neglecting such details.

Unless the OP had a horribly weak password the most common attack vector is compromise to the users machine and gain access to credentials via keylogger.  In that instance it is highly likely the user's email address is compromised as well (unless it is also protected by 2FA).  A more sophisticated attack would use OP computer as a proxy or to just steal the OP session when already logged in.  In either case the only IP would be the users.  Layering steps and procedures which all involve the same compromised machine is probably just "feel good" security.

My claim was not that extraordinary... It's not like I'm saying
I was abducted by a UFO or something Smiley

Anyway, here's one rather famous example:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/12/sophisticated-botnet-steals-more-than-47m-by-infecting-pcs-and-phones/

I agree with the rest of your comments.

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Edit: nvm, I suggested 2fa but you already had that.

Did you download any weird .exes ?
Activity: 21
I agree, until OP gives more details... There were thousands of people reporting being hacked on Diablo 3 despite having a mobile authenticator. To this day not a single claim was proven. It's just not possible. I'm sure some TFAs can be cracked but it's highly unlikely. Just a troll I guess
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis

http://www.wired.com/insights/2013/04/five-myths-of-two-factor-authentication-and-the-reality/

Please provide some examples, your linked article did nothing of the sort.  

Nobody said anything about holy grail but extraordinary claims require extraordinary details. The OP provided no details so to assume MtGox 2FA has been compromised is dubious at this time.

Measures like the above would greatly help secure user accounts (in addition to TFA) while being rather easy to implement, so Gox really has no excuses for neglecting such details.

Unless the OP had a horribly weak password the most common attack vector is compromise to the users machine and gain access to credentials via keylogger.  In that instance it is highly likely the user's email address is compromised as well (unless it is also protected by 2FA).  A more sophisticated attack would use OP computer as a proxy or to just steal the OP session when already logged in.  In either case the only IP would be the users.  Layering steps and procedures which all involve the same compromised machine is probably just "feel good" security.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

this is crazy, but why dont gox have like you have to enter your birth date or something to cash out as well. that would make this bs avoidable. they could also have a setting so you receive e-mail if someone with ip outside your country logs in.

Activity: 314
Merit: 250
Its unfortunate to hear. Didnt you got an email from Mt gox like:

There has been a withdrawal from your Mt.Gox account:
Transaction reference: 8ajr341-kjsdf-4f27-8sdb-isjfue739df
Date: 2013-xx-xx 09:26:55 GMT
IP: xxx.xxx.123.254
You can access your account history for more details.
Please contact us as soon as possible by replying to this email if you did not request this withdrawal.

If you contacted them, wouldn't be possible to repudiate the transaction?
Activity: 21
This doesn't seem legit. How could someone with 2FA get their account stolen? unless it was someone you live with and you openly have passwords written down.

Dont go on websites you are unsure about... ALWAYS have two factor authentication. It's highly unlikely for 2FA to be broken into.
Activity: 77
Merit: 10
First off, I'm sorry your funds got stolen. That really sucks. Secondly, you could help prevent other people from suffering this if you provided more details about the security setup you were using so how this attack could have taken place can be discovered/prevented in the future.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Some technical details would be useful.  There has never been a case of TOTP being "cracked".

Was TOTP (Google Authenticator) enabled on WITHDRAW (settings can be found in security center)?
Was the Google Authenticator installed a second device (i.e. MtGox accessed from home computer,  code generated on android phone)?
Does anyone else have access to the generator (roommate, friend, etc)?
Activity: 28
this is crazy, but why dont gox have like you have to enter your birth date or something to cash out as well. that would make this bs avoidable. they could also have a setting so you receive e-mail if someone with ip outside your country logs in. just feels to me gox is half assing everything, but when it comes to veryfing account there is no fing limit to their stupid demands. lousey exchange hope a real alternative comes along.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
IMO wouldn't leave money like that around on GOX/coinbase etc.  Best bet is to keep it on your computer and not download malicious keyloggers and keep computer up to date on virus software.  That way if the big companies get DDoSed or hacked you can't lose your money.  If you need to exchange the coins then transfer them in and the money out asap or vice versa.
Activity: 22

Bad luck. At the end of the day.. All forms of hacking have to be due to some sort of fault by the victim. I guess this could be seen as a some what expensive lesson.

You might as well say; "you left your window opened, you deserved to get raped!"

Trojans and malware are continually being created or updated to get around antivirus applications. Antivirus apps, malwarebytes, etc are continually being updated to clean PCs.

I am sorry this happened to you girlfawkesy. With two-factor authentication that shouldn't have happened.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000
That sucks! Just out of interest. Do you use Windows, Mac or Linux as your main computer when accessing mt Gox?
Activity: 55
I can't tell you much more than what I already have. It was a major player in the btc community who told me it might have been an inside job. Gox continues to ignore me.

All I can do is show you my addresses on blockchain so you can see the theft yourself. I personally will never use gox again for anything.
Activity: 12
Let me get this straight... they stole from a 2fa protected mtgox account and had the guts to push the funds to a vanity address?

I always want to learn more about this kind of story - if the OP could find out what exactly happened and report back, it might help everyone else down the line...
ija
Activity: 8
i had money sitting in mtgox for days, after i install the 2 step authentication..

Felt pretty safe.

To be honest though it seems a great security method.. the passowrd changes every 30 secounds. So they would need fyour phone to get that data... so maybe theres virus on your phone.. or googles securties been hacked.

Either way ...

Zaih saying its a an expensive lesson to learn is totally unproductive. what has been learned from this?

Nothing, we don't know the exact method to how she lost her coins.

Do a virus scan please Fawksgirl.. also on your phone... would help people alot if we could understand where the leaky part of your securty was...

and sorry this sucks big time....
Activity: 686
Merit: 504
always the student, never the master.
That's a bloody blow to the gut.

Bad luck. At the end of the day.. All forms of hacking have to be due to some sort of fault by the victim. I guess this could be seen as a some what expensive lesson.

I hope you don't give up on Bitcoin though due to this.

oh, the irony
Activity: 3
oh, im very sorry for you.
did they know your password?
Activity: 55
unless this was some sort of inside job. apparently its happened to other people as well.

gox basically sent me their "call the police" form letter. When I explained that I did all their authentications right, they didnt' reply.

I dunno, the whole point of this endeavor was to camwhore on reddit for tips, and then take some of my personal funds and invest with the hope of making ends meet a little easier. Now if anything the situation is far worse.

I think I may leave btc. Nobody ever broke into my USD bank account and stole all my money. Even if they did, I could get it back.

I think the worst part though is seeing the tor exit node and wallet name on blockchain and knowing some bastard did this to me.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
That's a bloody blow to the gut.

I hope you don't give up on Bitcoin though due to this.
Pages:
Jump to: