Pages:
Author

Topic: Mt.Gox Accounts and passwords released, impact to BTC econ - page 2. (Read 10204 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Usernames and emails were released, indeed. Passwords were NOT, only the hashes.
Weak passwords can be obtained from the hashes. Strong ones - not really, it's kind of hard  Grin

My two BTcents: login to your account as soon as you can and change your password to something resembling a bitcoin address.
That should be hard enough to get from it's hash  Smiley
Activity: 388
Merit: 250
Checked, and mine was on the list  Cry

Went and changed other accounts even though the exact same PW wasn't used it was based on an algorithm.

Lets hope this doesn't totally crash the market when things come back on line.
Activity: 136
Merit: 100
I looked at that password list. Only around 1800 passwords were kept in regular md5, those are piss easy to crack (see http://www.md5decrypter.co.uk/ if you don't have a rainbow table setup already). The other 60000 were using some other format I did not recognize, though possibly by my own fault... they remind me of Wordpress passwords. It's probably some combined multiple md5 + hash, so I'd think that they are difficult if not impossible to crack, especially if you used a password that is long enough with a wide enough character set.

The danger for password reuse is very real though. It is in theory possible to find a less secure password from some site you signed up to, recover the password from there, and use it at mtgox with your username. So if you use the same password at mtgox or anywhere else, you'll NEED to change passwords. Otherwise you are fairly safe, provided your account is not one of those with regular md5 hashes (the ones not starting with $1$whatever are regular md5s).
$1$salt$hash is the standard FreeBSD MD5-based crypt() format. It was first developed for FreeBSD back in the days when export of DES code outside USA was forbidden. Then all major Unix variants switched to using it as it is much more secure than the original Unix DES-based crypt() and allows passwords longer than 8 symbols. It employs fixed number of salted MD5 rounds and is considered fairly secure given that lots of special symbols and combination of upper and lowercase letters are used. There is another Blowfish-based variant from OpenBSD that is clearly recognizable by the $2$ sentinel. It is much stronger as it takes a lot more CPU/GPU power to compute it compared to the MD5-based one.
You learn something new every day.
So, the $1$salt$ part is the salt, and it is computed (roughly) by salt + password = hash, then hash + salt + password = hash 2, and so on, repeating 1000 times, and the result is then encoded into a unix DES hash? Doesn't sound too safe, since the salt is known, but I guess it means that bruteforcing takes, theoretically, 1000 times longer. This should knock off 2-3 letters from the length of password that is still viable to bruteforce. But it's true that even if someone cracks just 1 account with a weak password, they can get a killing.

The irony is, if someone has the processing power to bruteforce the majority of these passwords, they could already get money just by mining bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
I submitted my first coin to mtgox last night and now it's saying my account doesn't exist. I hope I get my account and my 1 BTC back.

The site is down, don't worry.
Activity: 28
I looked at that password list. Only around 1800 passwords were kept in regular md5, those are piss easy to crack (see http://www.md5decrypter.co.uk/ if you don't have a rainbow table setup already). The other 60000 were using some other format I did not recognize, though possibly by my own fault... they remind me of Wordpress passwords. It's probably some combined multiple md5 + hash, so I'd think that they are difficult if not impossible to crack, especially if you used a password that is long enough with a wide enough character set.

The danger for password reuse is very real though. It is in theory possible to find a less secure password from some site you signed up to, recover the password from there, and use it at mtgox with your username. So if you use the same password at mtgox or anywhere else, you'll NEED to change passwords. Otherwise you are fairly safe, provided your account is not one of those with regular md5 hashes (the ones not starting with $1$whatever are regular md5s).
$1$salt$hash is the standard FreeBSD MD5-based crypt() format. It was first developed for FreeBSD back in the days when export of DES code outside USA was forbidden. Then all major Unix variants switched to using it as it is much more secure than the original Unix DES-based crypt() and allows passwords longer than 8 symbols. It employs fixed number of salted MD5 rounds and is considered fairly secure given that lots of special symbols and combination of upper and lowercase letters are used. There is another Blowfish-based variant from OpenBSD that is clearly recognisable by the $2$ sentinel. It is much stronger as it takes a lot more CPU/GPU power to compute it compared to the MD5-based one.
Activity: 115
Merit: 10
I submitted my first coin to mtgox last night and now it's saying my account doesn't exist. I hope I get my account and my 1 BTC back.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
UPDATE REGARDING LEAKED ACCOUNT INFORMATIONS

We will address this issue too and prevent logins from each users. Leaked information includes username, email and hashed password, which does not allow anyone to get to the actual password, should it be complex enough. If you used a simple password you will not be able to login on Mt.Gox until you change your password to something more secure.

I'm not sure what their definition of simple is. I can't remember if I used an email addy on mtgox, and if I didn't my password was pretty complex, so hopefully I can get in and get mah moniez.
Activity: 138
No offense to you personally warsmith, but paranoia pays around these parts.

None taken. It would destroy the thread and the user's browsers if I'd pasted the whole 3mb text file as a reply.
Anyway. I hope everyone changes the password asap when it comes back online.
I hope mt gox will refund everybody and close after this disaster.
Activity: 171
where is user of number 51190 in the file?!
What might happen with those users who didn't enter an email address? (including me...)
How can they log in again, if all passwords were resetted?  Undecided

Perhaps they didn't reset all of them?

I hope so...
Activity: 136

Activity: 27
What might happen with those users who didn't enter an email address? (including me...)

Perhaps they didn't reset all of them?
no comment about the salt though
Activity: 504
Merit: 502
Im confused, didnt get any email and Im a fairly bigtime trader o_0
Activity: 140
I can confirm my username and email are on the list.  Damn. 

Is everyone going to open up a tradehill account and crash that market ( the server, not price) as soon as they get in?
I just received this email from mtgox.

I haven't gotten mine yet, but I like that they at least own up to it.
Activity: 25
I just received this email from mtgox.

Dear Mt.Gox user,

Our database has been compromised, including your email. We are working on a
quick resolution and to begin with, your password has been disabled as a
security measure (and you will need to reset it to login again on Mt.Gox).

If you were using the same password on Mt.Gox and other places (email, etc),
you should change this password as soon as possible.

For more details, please see this:

https://support.mtgox.com/entries/20208066-huge-bitcoin-sell-off-due-to-a-compromised-account-rollback

The informations there will be updated as our investigation progresses.

Please accept our apologies for the troubles caused, and be certain we will do
everything we can to keep the funds entrusted with us as secure as possible.

The leaked data includes the following:

- Account number
- Account login
- Email address
- Encrypted password

While the password is encrypted, it is possible to bruteforce most passwords
with time, and it is likely bad people are working on this right now.

Any unauthorized access done to any account you own (email, mtgox, etc) should
be reported to the appropriate authorities in your country.

Thanks,
The Mt.Gox team

Activity: 428
Merit: 254
It means a lot of questions. I've asked some of them here:
http://thebitcoinsun.com/post/2011/06/19/Huge-crash-and-compromized-datas-on-MtGox

But I don't have answers yet. (be welcome to comment on the article page)
No offense to you personally warsmith, but paranoia pays around these parts.

None taken. It would destroy the thread and the user's browsers if I'd pasted the whole 3mb text file as a reply.
Anyway. I hope everyone changes the password asap when it comes back online.
Pages:
Jump to: