Pages:
Author

Topic: MtGox - too many connections - page 2. (Read 14127 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031
Rational Exuberance
May 02, 2011, 07:57:09 PM
Dang. Coinpal and Coincard are shut down, and now MtGox get's DDOS'd!

Because of uncertainties like this, I'm experimenting with selling bitcoins in a much more traditional way (on Ebay). See this thread for details:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/closed-100-mtgox-usd-for-sale-on-ebay-7072
Activity: 104
Merit: 10
May 02, 2011, 07:51:40 PM
SmokeTooMuch that is exactly what I am saying. There is no proof that he did it and if you put yourself in his shoes you can understand why these angry posts were made.
Our emotional nature is our worst enemy. People's reputations are at stake and this community might lose valuable members because of such stupid misunderstandings. So lets not jump to conclusions.

I totally agree with this.  In my opinion btcex has had the misfortune of making a post when he was frustrated as a "joke" and it just so happened to coincide with a real attack.  I think many people are giving him too much credit to think that he could even mount such an attack in the first place.  Plus, if he's got any kind of entrepreneurial spirit he certainly knows what kind of backlash that would cause his business and I doubt he's here to cause his own biz to fail.  He should just tell everyone "in English" that he was mad, it was a joke, and that he does not really support this type of attack and everyone get over it.  This is all just an annoyance that needs to go away so I can get back to tradin' some coin.  Please.

CoinMan

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000
May 02, 2011, 07:38:04 PM
I was wondering if hanging the author of LOIC would count for aggression within the Anarchist handbook...  Roll Eyes
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
May 02, 2011, 07:32:02 PM
SmokeTooMuch that is exactly what I am saying. There is no proof that he did it and if you put yourself in his shoes you can understand why these angry posts were made.
Our emotional nature is our worst enemy. People's reputations are at stake and this community might lose valuable members because of such stupid misunderstandings. So lets not jump to conclusions.
legendary
Activity: 860
Merit: 1021
May 02, 2011, 07:25:50 PM
SmokeTooMuch do you honestly believe that was written by someone who launched ddos? I admit it was not terribly wise to post such nonsense and he did not help his situation by doing so, but I don't believe it could have been him.
I was convinced he did it, but only because I was sure to read the facts out of his posts.
But to be honest his English is even worse than mine so it all could be just an attempt to make a joke or something.
Currently I do not claim to know that he is behind the DDoS attacks. Could all be just a big misunderstanding. Hard to tell.

Only thing I know is Mt. Gox is still under attack or atleast some heavy load and if the intention is to bring it to fall, I can understand that and it should get openly discussed because I see the progressing centralization of our little decentralized currency here will become a big problem sooner or later.
Activity: 699
Merit: 500
Your Minion
May 02, 2011, 07:24:18 PM
It is very hard to tell from his mangled English, but I get the impression he endorses and encourages the ddos-ing but isn't claiming responsibility.

Likely right and to be honest I was glad to see it yesterday during the rush, that and CoinPal going down I feel saved use from a collapse.
However this last few hours have been unnecessary.
edd
donator
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001
May 02, 2011, 07:21:07 PM
It is very hard to tell from his mangled English, but I get the impression he endorses and encourages the ddos-ing but isn't claiming responsibility.
May 02, 2011, 07:18:33 PM
SmokeTooMuch do you honestly believe that was written by someone who launched ddos? I admit it was not terribly wise to post such nonsense and he did not help his situation by doing so, but I don't believe it could have been him.
Activity: 182
Merit: 101
May 02, 2011, 07:09:52 PM
Wow is it annoying to have Mt Gox going up and down.  Are we having the DDoS activity again?

I wonder if it's an intentional attack or just too many people linking in trying to get exchange prices with bots or something.
legendary
Activity: 860
Merit: 1021
May 02, 2011, 07:09:06 PM
Well, I think I read through most of the posts on this forum, but never read one where he admitted doing it. Can you post a link?

By the way, I am announcing collecting donations for the ddos of mtgox for decreasing exchange rates!

1AvGzvwCxELCaJsxdzunhYTzTL6GVa2xvR

haxorz! please send letter to [email protected] and give your money for that work!

By the way, I am announcing collecting donations for the ddos of mtgox for decreasing exchange rates!

1AwGzvwCxELCaJsxdzunhYTzTL6GVa2xvR

haxorz! please send letter to [email protected] and give your money for that work!

If this is a joke, it's a bad one. Angry

It sounds credible enough to be serious (with bitcoin address and email) for me to remove btcex from WeUseCoins until this is cleared up.

I'm sorry but I'm afraid so is serious. It would cost less than to be owed +$100 every day.

Maybe I even feel sorry about it. But we want anarchy and autoregulation? This is it is.

Just in case, say goodbye in advance. With you it was good, bitcoiners is a great community!

Oh, yes, exactly, well, then I turn off my ddos and start writing p2p exchange!

But then again, he stated a few times that he has nothing to do with these attacks. *confused*
Activity: 104
May 02, 2011, 07:04:03 PM
Wow is it annoying to have Mt Gox going up and down.  Are we having the DDoS activity again?
Activity: 98
Testing
May 02, 2011, 07:02:03 PM
Bitcoinex's attacks are preventing many people from accessing their property stored in Mt. Gox.

May I ask how do you know it is him?

He has admitted it many times.

Well, I think I read through most of the posts on this forum, but never read one where he admitted doing it. Can you post a link?
Seconded, I can't find evidence proving who it is.
Activity: 350
Merit: 252
probiwon.com
May 02, 2011, 07:01:28 PM
Is there another "liquid" exchange, or is the only one down?
All go to the https://btcex.com just as planned

FYI: If you want to see your exchange succeed, you make a good exchange and focus on doing a good job. Anything else, and you WILL loose business.

What I mean by that is that you must conduct yourself in a professional manner to be trusted in the community.

Yes, I know that the on west a "professionals" hide the truth, lie at the same time smiling and looking straight into your eyes. Sorry, but I do not like this behaviour, I came to the community to participate in creating a better currency and not to deceive mistaken people.

Centralization of the exchange, the complexity of the withdrawal of money and accelerating inflation of the bubble - for understandable reasons what happens. I'm surprised that the attackers did not think to do it sooner. And I am glad that it did not happen the week after, when bitcoiny would cost $10 - I think that if I lived in the U.S. I am would have been killed in these circumstances. while the haters would give a damn about what I do not have relation with the attack.
May 02, 2011, 06:59:46 PM
Bitcoinex's attacks are preventing many people from accessing their property stored in Mt. Gox.

Activity: 406
Merit: 256
May 02, 2011, 06:58:09 PM

May 02, 2011, 06:57:10 PM

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
May 02, 2011, 06:46:06 PM
Whoever said that DoS attacks do not violate the non-aggression principle, I disagree.  Bitcoinex's attacks are preventing many people from accessing their property stored in Mt. Gox.  This could be seen as an act of coercion.  The fact that I still can't get on Mt. Gox to access my fucking account is really pissing me off.  He's not only hurting his competitor (which is wrong in itself), he's also hurting all the community members who are customers and cannot access their property that is being stored at Mt. Gox.  So FUCK YOU Bitcoinex, and I will do my part to ensure that you never get any business. 

As others have already stated, the key to making sure Bitcoin has multiple strong exchanges is to work at making yours better and more efficient, not attack competitors.  All you have done is drive more people to Mt. Gox and put yourself out of business.  Now we have less exchanges, and therefore, less stability in the Bitcoin economy.

Also, as a personal note to the Russians/Eastern European members of the community: I want to say that the nationality of Bitcoinex has no bearing on my thoughts towards any people group.  I judge individuals not races or ethnicities.  I know several Russians and Eastern Europeans and get along great with them and have a lot of respect for them and their culture.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
May 02, 2011, 04:36:44 PM
Is there another "liquid" exchange, or is the only one down?
All go to the https://btcex.com just as planned

FYI: If you want to see your exchange succeed, you make a good exchange and focus on doing a good job. Anything else, and you WILL loose business.

What I mean by that is that you must conduct yourself in a professional manner to be trusted in the community.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.
May 01, 2011, 02:02:09 PM
I have nothing against Russia. I have a lot of friends there and my wife used to live there for a few years. However, the fact is that vast majority of spam and scam comes from there. That is a fact - logs don't lie.

I am sure you actually believe this and that you aren't intentionally trying to mislead anyone. But more spam comes from the USA than Russia. Indeed, USA is the originator of the vast majority of the spam in the world according to some sources.

http://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/countries.lasso
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/01/11/report-reveals-the-dirty-dozen-top-spam-relaying-countries/
http://www.projecthoneypot.org/spam_server_top_countries.php

Please be careful when generalising.

OKay Sir, I stand corrected.

Still, 9 of 10 spaming IPs invading my own servers come from Russia. They probably just love Ireland.
Activity: 124
May 01, 2011, 01:45:54 PM
I have nothing against Russia. I have a lot of friends there and my wife used to live there for a few years. However, the fact is that vast majority of spam and scam comes from there. That is a fact - logs don't lie.

I am sure you actually believe this and that you aren't intentionally trying to mislead anyone. But more spam comes from the USA than Russia. Indeed, USA is the originator of the vast majority of the spam in the world according to some sources.

http://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/countries.lasso
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/01/11/report-reveals-the-dirty-dozen-top-spam-relaying-countries/
http://www.projecthoneypot.org/spam_server_top_countries.php

Please be careful when generalising.
Pages:
Jump to: