Pages:
Author

Topic: MultiBit HD 0.2.0 released - Buy/Sell bitcoin using Glidera - page 2. (Read 13222 times)

legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846
So am I correct in saying multibit generates a key-pair for each distinct transaction?

Yes for every time you receive coins, and yes if you send some, but not all, of the coins in an address elsewhere because the change gets sent to a newly generated multibit change address.

The list of keys generated, by your linked-to page, will show the keys - top to bottom - in the order in which the wallet would have generated them. Correct? So if that is the case, I'd expect to see the first transaction right at the top of the list.

Yes
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
Right. I think I'm starting to get the picture now.

So am I correct in saying multibit generates a key-pair for each distinct transaction? Or does it create 1 private key to many public keys, and then another private key to many public keys again, and so on? I've always wondered about that.

The list of keys generated, by your linked-to page, will show the keys - top to bottom - in the order in which the wallet would have generated them. Correct? So if that is the case, I'd expect to see the first transaction right at the top of the list.
legendary

If you can't install mycelium you can use the instructions in the post linked below to generate individual private keys from each address you want from your multibit HD wallet, then import them into electrum using the instructions in the quote above.

Yes, I gave that a go - using my wallet words - and it produces a list of keys as you said.

I have a question though: what are the private keys it shows? Are they all the keys used to generate receiving addresses, in Multibit? And why is there an option at the bottom of the list to increase the size of the list? As though it could go on and on.

The private keys it shows are the keys Multibit used to generate receiving addresses. The keys are all generated using the same wallet words, and Multibit can generate an almost unlimited number of them. I think it might be 232 = 4294967296 addresses. After you send coins to one address Multibit generates another.

How do I identify only the keys I'm interested in?

I suppose I could look at my MultibitHD transaction list(and match the public keys) but I'm not sure I understand the statuses of some of the transactions so I don't have a lot of confidence in  my ability to collect the necessary addresses generated on your linked-to offline page.

It depends how many times your Multibit wallet sent or received coins. Each time it received it would have generated a new receiving address. Each time it sent some, but not all coins in an address it would have sent the change to the next down in another list of change addresses it generates.

You could search in a block explorer like blockchain.info for addresses that contain coins, and only import those private keys into electrum.

https://blockchain.info/

Otherwise if there's too many addresses to search you could try importing giant lists of private keys generated by that webpage into electrum.

If you made less than a hundred transactions from multibit you could import the first 100 private keys generated in the list of receiving addresses, together with the first 100 private keys generated in the list of change addresses.

The more private keys you import into electrum, the longer it will take to sync. The post below says electrum kept crashing when importing 13000 private keys, but eventually synced after a long time. Importing anything above a few hundred keys will probably be time consuming.

I tried to import almost 13000 private keys but Electrum is crashing each time... I've got them all in a single file, maybe I should try by spliting the file.

So let say I import private keys in a wallet_1, is it possible to add more adress later in the same wallet_1 ? Or do I need to create a new wallet ?

EDIT : Finally importing the 13000 private worked but took a while  Smiley

You could try installing Mycelium if your phone doesn't have the pre-reqs for bread wallet.

Hmm. Even if my phone had the pre-reqs for Bread wallet, I prefer to use a desktop wallet. Sorry, should have said.

If you can't install mycelium you can use the instructions in the post linked below to generate individual private keys from each address you want from your multibit HD wallet, then import them into electrum using the instructions in the quote above.

Yes, I gave that a go - using my wallet words - and it produces a list of keys as you said.

I have a question though: what are the private keys it shows? Are they all the keys used to generate receiving addresses, in Multibit? And why is there an option at the bottom of the list to increase the size of the list? As though it could go on and on. How do I identify only the keys I'm interested in?

I suppose I could look at my MultibitHD transaction list(and match the public keys) but I'm not sure I understand the statuses of some of the transactions so I don't have a lot of confidence in  my ability to collect the necessary addresses generated on your linked-to offline page.

Thanks btw, for your time on this.

ps. multibit-HD statuses which I don't understand: 'sending', 'Part paid' and 'Receiving'. All of these are transactions from months ago.
legendary
Hi,

Installed Electrum 2.6.4 but not having much luck following your instructions. (Can't do bread because I don't have the pre-reqs for it)

You could try installing Mycelium if your phone doesn't have the pre-reqs for bread wallet. You can use MultiBit HD wallet words in Mycelium, but according to these github posts you have to use Mycelium's "Rescan Account" option afterwards to get it to show your balance. Those github posts were made in 2014/2015, so if mycelium has been improved since you might be able to skip the "Rescan Account" step.

https://github.com/keepkey/multibit-hd/issues/687

When I start the Electrum wallet, it asks for the seed words and when I enter them, I expect the 'next' button to become enabled, but it stays greyed-out.

You can't use Multibit HD wallet words in Electrum because one wallet generates compressed private keys from them, and the other generates uncompressed private keys. There is a way to import multibit HD wallet words into Electrum, but because it uses a different key format it generates different addresses to multibit HD from the same wallet words.

So... I tried backing out and opting for entering the 'master key'(just presume that 'Master' means 'public' because it doesn't say... ). Then I see the green light in the corner of the window (I'd upload a screenshot, here, to show what I see, but not having much luck finding out how to do that on this page). But then it just sits there, apparently doing nothing. No messages, no status bar changes, no errors... nada. If I click on the green network status light, it says getting block headers from 8 nodes. But there seems to be no downloading/synchronizing happening at all.

p.s. This is in watching only mode, as I thought I might be able to confirm the multibithd balance before I attempt to move/load anything. Not sure if that is why Electrum is leaving me high and dry. I realise this may be out of the scope of the original question but I'm asking in case this is a common problem with a known fix/explanation.

Importing a multibit HD master key into electrum won't work, but you can create a watching only wallet by following the steps below to import any standard Bitcoin addresses you want to watch.

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/faq.html#can-i-import-private-keys-from-other-bitcoin-clients

Can I import private keys from other Bitcoin clients?

In Electrum 2.0, you cannot import private keys in a wallet that has a seed.

If you want to import private keys and not sweep them you need to create a special wallet that does not have a seed. For this, create a new wallet, select “restore”, and instead of typing your seed, type a list of private keys, or a list of addresses if you want to create a watching-only wallet.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.17859746

Hi,

Installed Electrum 2.6.4 but not having much luck following your instructions. (Can't do bread because I don't have the pre-reqs for it)

When I start the Electrum wallet, it asks for the seed words and when I enter them, I expect the 'next' button to become enabled, but it stays greyed-out.

So... I tried backing out and opting for entering the 'master key'(just presume that 'Master' means 'public' because it doesn't say... ). Then I see the green light in the corner of the window (I'd upload a screenshot, here, to show what I see, but not having much luck finding out how to do that on this page). But then it just sits there, apparently doing nothing. No messages, no status bar changes, no errors... nada. If I click on the green network status light, it says getting block headers from 8 nodes. But there seems to be no downloading/synchronizing happening at all.

p.s. This is in watching only mode, as I thought I might be able to confirm the multibithd balance before I attempt to move/load anything. Not sure if that is why Electrum is leaving me high and dry. I realise this may be out of the scope of the original question but I'm asking in case this is a common problem with a known fix/explanation.

Any further tips?
legendary
I posted a question on this thread in April last year (2016) and managed to resolve the 'unconfirmed balance' problem with jim6181's help.

Now, I'm having the same problem except this time I have tried several times to repair wallet. Each time(but one) the process completed, and still all or a portion of the balance still shows as unconfirmed. The exact portion appears to change with each repair.

Please advise as appropriate.

Thanks,
Jim

There are some solutions to your problem in the post linked below.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.17859746
I posted a question on this thread in April last year (2016) and managed to resolve the 'unconfirmed balance' problem with jim6181's help.

Now, I'm having the same problem except this time I have tried several times to repair wallet. Each time(but one) the process completed, and still all or a portion of the balance still shows as unconfirmed. The exact portion appears to change with each repair.

Please advise as appropriate.

Thanks,
Jim
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
I hope support is not dead. I've this exact problem with 0.4.1 on OSX.

All of the recover steps discussed here have failed. Looks like I need to import into Bread wallet as my fail mary.
Activity: 536
Merit: 250
Is Multibit support dead?
Activity: 536
Merit: 250
I have only 1 connection and can't send coins, what to do?

I have no proxy.

Try doing a Tools | Repair wallet.
This should reset things back to what is on the blockchain.

Yip.... that does seem to have worked.

Thanks, Jim.

Is there anything I should do from here (apart from making sure I have a backup)? Should I upgrade/downgrade to any particular version, for example?
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
Try doing a Tools | Repair wallet.
This should reset things back to what is on the blockchain.
Hi

I have encountered the same problem described by the other two Multibit users. Unconfirmed msg appears in the top right hand side of the payments window. And transaction statuses have turned to receiving and sending when they have been complete for weeks already. A bit of a shock to see 'sending' again appearing next to previously sent transactions for 3+ BTC. Eeek! (I don't mind re-receiving so much)

Anyway. Hopefully I can get it resolved. Just wanted to check-in for an update on the instructions. Just looking at this thread, which is already a few weeks old, are there any instructions I should ignore? Where do I start an attempted fix?

So far I have only exited and restarted the wallet to see if I still had the problem. I haven't attempted a repair or followed any of the instructions in this thread, yet.

Please confirm what I need to do. Thanks.

(I haven't done anything strange to bring this on. All I can think of is that I changed my password recently on the wallet. It says 10 peers with green status light)
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066
I have a suggestion. This wallet should add the ability to import your own addresses which would have been generated out of this client. This would prove to be useful for the people that have generated their vanity addresses but they would not be able to import it in MultiBit HD.

That would mean that you wouldn't be able to recover your bitcoin, in extremis, from your wallet words as the wallet would no longer be fully deterministic. As MultiBit HD is targeted for new users of bitcoin we (Gary and I) decided to keep this wallet fully deterministic.
Activity: 1162
Merit: 547
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
I have a suggestion. This wallet should add the ability to import your own addresses which would have been generated out of this client. This would prove to be useful for the people that have generated their vanity addresses but they would not be able to import it in MultiBit HD.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
Apparently... Québec is not part of Canada, as it is not serviced Tongue
legendary
Oh and you've got support for hardware wallets, which are a step up in security
legendary
The big benefit is that it is deterministic.
All the private keys and your addresses are created from a set of wallet words - 12 random words.
You can recreate your wallet from those 12 words.

With MultiBit Classic the private keys were random, so you have to do more work to keep them safe.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
What are the benefits for using this client over the legacy one? since the UI on the older one seems simpler and easier to handle
Pages:
Jump to: