Pages:
Author

Topic: Multibit wallet problem - page 2. (Read 3528 times)

Activity: 167
Merit: 100
June 19, 2013, 12:16:22 PM
It says it accepts all sorts of private keys, so you should be fine.  It doesn't matter whether you've imported it into something else as long as your bitcoins are at the address associated with the key you can access them with that key from any client.

Ok I made a blockchain.info wallet, but when I go to Import/Export -> Import Private key I don't know how to put the private key in, how do I do this?

This will require a plain text export of your private key from MultiBit. The steps for this:
1. In MultiBit, go to Tools->Export Private Keys.
2. In the "Password of export file" section, select "Do not password protect export file."
3. Make a note of the destination filename - that's where your key will be.
4. Click "Export private keys."

The export file will be a text file. Even though it has the .key extension, you can open it in Notepad or Wordpad or any other text editor. Open the file and copy the key, but don't include the date or the stuff after it - Blockchain.info will choke on it.

On Blockchain.info, log in to your wallet, go to Import/Export, and paste your key into the "Add Private Key" blank. After you click "Add Private Key", you're given the option to import the key or automatically transfer funds. Either one should work fine. Then you're done, and your funds should show up in your Blockchain.info wallet - instantly, if you chose to import directly rather than "sweeping" to a new key.

I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but it's important enough to repeat: delete that export file as soon as you're done with it. If anyone gets their hands on your private key, they can take your money.

When I open the export file with the private keys I see 2 keys given, which one should I take?

If you have two keys, you'll want to take both of them just to be sure you've got the one you need. Just copy/paste/import each of them separately.

It fails to import the key; it says this feature or method isnt supported

That's bizarre. I haven't managed to make their import fail with that message. Did you choose the Sweep or the Import option, or did it not get that far?
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
June 19, 2013, 12:15:57 PM
Should I try to paste the code at the open field at ''Import wallet''?
June 19, 2013, 12:08:15 PM
It says it accepts all sorts of private keys, so you should be fine.  It doesn't matter whether you've imported it into something else as long as your bitcoins are at the address associated with the key you can access them with that key from any client.

Ok I made a blockchain.info wallet, but when I go to Import/Export -> Import Private key I don't know how to put the private key in, how do I do this?

This will require a plain text export of your private key from MultiBit. The steps for this:
2. In the "Password of export file" section, select "Do not password protect export file."

The export file will be a text file. Even though it has the .key extension, you can open it in Notepad or Wordpad or any other text editor. Open the file and copy the key, but don't include the date or the stuff after it - Blockchain.info will choke on it.

On Blockchain.info, log in to your wallet, go to Import/Export, and paste your key into the "Add Private Key" blank. After you click "Add Private Key", you're given the option to import the key or automatically transfer funds. Either one should work fine. Then you're done, and your funds should show up in your Blockchain.info wallet - instantly, if you chose to import directly rather than "sweeping" to a new key.

I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but it's important enough to repeat: delete that export file as soon as you're done with it. If anyone gets their hands on your private key, they can take your money.

When I open the export file with the private keys I see 2 keys given, which one should I take?

If you have two keys, you'll want to take both of them just to be sure you've got the one you need. Just copy/paste/import each of them separately.

It fails to import the key; it says this feature or method isnt supported
June 19, 2013, 12:02:32 PM

June 19, 2013, 11:59:11 AM

June 19, 2013, 11:53:32 AM
You did not yet have found the file multibit.wallet on your xp?

I did and I made a backup of it
June 19, 2013, 11:47:35 AM

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000
June 19, 2013, 11:38:22 AM
You did not yet have found the file multibit.wallet on your xp?
legendary
June 19, 2013, 11:06:33 AM
No more idea at this time.

But whoever is reading this, always make a minimum transaction first. And if that works, backup and distribute your wallet, before using it for more.
June 19, 2013, 10:47:15 AM
It says amount of blocks: 242.292

No idea what this has to to mean
This is the current block number, so the communication to the network is ok.

For me this means you
a) did not have send the coins to the address you believe
b) the matching private key is not yet imported into the multibit client

It is possible that a newcomer mixes up sending and receiving addresses, not so good.

Can you see the used public address in the receiving tab?

Yes my receiving address is 17xSPe9avt1S5uL1Dtedoj7dQD6DgYozx1, and if you check this address at e.g. blockchain.info (https://blockchain.info/address/17xSPe9avt1S5uL1Dtedoj7dQD6DgYozx1) you can see I should have received the BTC
legendary
June 19, 2013, 10:41:45 AM

This is the current block number, so the communication to the network is ok.

For me this means you
a) did not have send the coins to the address you believe
b) the matching private key is not yet imported into the multibit client

It is possible that a newcomer mixes up sending and receiving addresses, not so good.

Can you see the used public address in the receiving tab?
June 19, 2013, 10:34:52 AM
Leave MultiBit open for a bit, it needs to syncronize.

You sure? It has been 48 hours ago the bitc were sent and it nowhere says that it is synchronizing..
Move your mouse over the lower left edge of the multibit client window. It must show you the current block number.

If the block number is not up-to-date or not rising, then check your firewall.

legendary
June 19, 2013, 10:32:43 AM

You sure? It has been 48 hours ago the bitc were sent and it nowhere says that it is synchronizing..
Move your mouse over the lower left edge of the multibit client window. It must show you the current block number.

If the block number is not up-to-date or not rising, then check your firewall.
legendary
Activity: 858
June 19, 2013, 10:14:49 AM

Try doing a BlockChain reset. https://multibit.org/help_resetBlockchain.html

Set the date to a week before your first transaction.

It may help.

As you could have noted in posts before I already have done this multiple times

Sorry didn't see that.

If I recall right, I had this problem too.  I did a blockchain reset and needed to restart MultiBit and Computer, launch, and wait 5mins for multibit to start relaying from servers. Ill help more later, I got to go.
June 19, 2013, 10:09:07 AM

It may help.

As you could have noted in posts before I already have done this multiple times
legendary
June 19, 2013, 10:08:10 AM

It may help.
June 19, 2013, 10:06:47 AM

legendary
June 19, 2013, 10:03:51 AM
June 19, 2013, 09:27:50 AM
It says it accepts all sorts of private keys, so you should be fine.  It doesn't matter whether you've imported it into something else as long as your bitcoins are at the address associated with the key you can access them with that key from any client.

cp1
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Stop using branwallets
June 19, 2013, 08:46:12 AM
It says it accepts all sorts of private keys, so you should be fine.  It doesn't matter whether you've imported it into something else as long as your bitcoins are at the address associated with the key you can access them with that key from any client.
Pages:
Jump to: