Pages:
Author

Topic: My answer to the big question of Hodling - page 3. (Read 1352 times)

Activity: 924
Merit: 260
September 17, 2017, 03:52:02 PM
You have a very good investment strategy and my advise to you is to stick to your plans and see if it is good for you and if it makes you to lose money then you can now change it.  You should not go into trading without proper money management policy in place, many traders that ignores this policy has lose serious amount of money. My understanding of the  market for the past few years is that the market has a mind of its own and it take serous study to follow its pattern and ways.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
September 17, 2017, 02:47:36 PM
Your "strategy" is non-existent.  You're simply relying on "greater fools" to keep buying with the intention of selling again for more fiat money, so that you can sell out before they do.

Um, that's pretty much what every single person here is doing even if they won't admit it in public.

It looks like a sound strategy in principle, though that certainty at 1000x returns shows the OP might have been spoilt by past performance. He'd have to be taking risks on stuff that looks like utter junk right now and I think the alt scene has become more established and mature.

2015 was the time to be doing this there were prime contenders that were still nowhere like Monero, XEM and ETH. Back then all alts looked potentially dead, even the ones with good plans and backing. Now a lot of that has come to fruition and the dregs are still where they belong, though no doubt there are some huge risers hiding.

The pulling out half at the doubling is the important bit, everything else will be gravy.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Movement App Dev.Team
September 17, 2017, 02:03:45 PM
The question is when to sell of course. Because eventually you do have to sell something to realize any profits. My strategy is outlined below, let me know what you think and feel free to share yours. Mine has not been tested as I'm still fairly new to trading and should not be taken as investment advice.
First and foremost, i only invest with money i can afford to lose and only into projects i have throughly researched.  What I plan to do is buy  and hodl until the price is 2X. Then sell half, essentially giving me back my initial investment, anything I sell afterward is pure profit.
I hodl again until  the price reaches 10X. Then sell 20%, giving me a 100% return on my investment again. This would be my first actual profit. I hodl again until the price reaches 100X. Then sell 20% again, giving me a 800% return on my investment.
 I hodl again until the price reaches 1000X. Then sell half my remaining balance, giving me a 1600% return on my investment. At this point I would still retain 16% of my original balance and have recieved a 169X return overall on my investment. Obviously I would have to get in early on a coin/asset and still then wait years potentially to see the returns I want. I'd have my stop loss set at 75% of the orginal price until my first selling at 2X and 50% of the original price there after.

So that's my plan, how's it sound? Obviously I could hodl for the 1000X the entire time, but I feel this is a nice way to lock in some profit early while still holding for the long haul.

Is a perfect plan to start from, sadly it may take long to reach 2x the price you bought it at, that being said you should try to buy and sell arbitrage while the price fluctuate.
Activity: 938
Merit: 559
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
September 17, 2017, 01:21:33 PM
eventually you do have to sell something to realize any profits.
You're wrong.  You can spend your coins at many different merchants.  Of course you're ignoring this because you're only in it to obtain fiat money, which is why BTC ends up being volatile.

Your "strategy" is non-existent.  You're simply relying on "greater fools" to keep buying with the intention of selling again for more fiat money, so that you can sell out before they do.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
September 17, 2017, 01:19:45 PM
Sounds like a great plan. The real pain people feel when investing is losing their initial investment. So cashing that out and taking profits regularly means you are always in profit and ahead of the game. And you can always use some of your profits to buy the dips so that you always hold the same amount of coins.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028
September 17, 2017, 01:14:41 PM
I guess it is a good idea to take your profits when you can and that strategy makes sense, but the thing with something like bitcoin is, it is disruptive technology and it can go exponential at any given time, so you may sell following your strategy, get your gains secured, but then you wake up next morning to a new paradigm and the price has gone mooning bigly.

As you see, adoption curves for disruptive technologies are exponential. It may take years to get anywhere, but once it starts getting traction the rise is massive. We are not there yet with crypto at all.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
September 17, 2017, 01:08:07 PM
Every crypto investor has same options as stock investor has. Either to keep your investment and raise your wealth or to sell them on difference and realize profit.
You know Buffet? He always hold his investment and eventually become one of the richest person on Earth. Profit doesn't matter to him, all matters to him is increase in wealth with increase in value of stocks.
So it depends upon what's your priority with your investments. I personally sell my investments very rarely and mostly keep them till moon.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
September 17, 2017, 01:06:40 PM
Nice. I'm also currently looking for wealth management strategies.

What I planned on doing is:
1. wait until it doubles at least
2. sell 50% (25% are reinvested in something new and the other 25% are put onto a saving wallet)
3. The remaining assets (50%) grow until I decide to sell them

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1001
September 17, 2017, 12:52:30 PM
Oh! you have so much patience in the matter of profits. Being true,i have never got 2x from my investments till yet.
I hold and then sell when i see i have accumulated 15%-20 profit.Similarly half of my base amount remains there. I have no policy designed to achieve a major return.
Activity: 490
Merit: 107
A non technical guy in a technical world
September 17, 2017, 12:38:21 PM
The question is when to sell of course. Because eventually you do have to sell something to realize any profits. My strategy is outlined below, let me know what you think and feel free to share yours. Mine has not been tested as I'm still fairly new to trading and should not be taken as investment advice.
First and foremost, i only invest with money i can afford to lose and only into projects i have throughly researched.  What I plan to do is buy  and hodl until the price is 2X. Then sell half, essentially giving me back my initial investment, anything I sell afterward is pure profit.
I hodl again until  the price reaches 10X. Then sell 20%, giving me a 100% return on my investment again. This would be my first actual profit. I hodl again until the price reaches 100X. Then sell 20% again, giving me a 800% return on my investment.
 I hodl again until the price reaches 1000X. Then sell half my remaining balance, giving me a 1600% return on my investment. At this point I would still retain 16% of my original balance and have recieved a 169X return overall on my investment. Obviously I would have to get in early on a coin/asset and still then wait years potentially to see the returns I want. I'd have my stop loss set at 75% of the orginal price until my first selling at 2X and 50% of the original price there after.

So that's my plan, how's it sound? Obviously I could hodl for the 1000X the entire time, but I feel this is a nice way to lock in some profit early while still holding for the long haul.
Pages:
Jump to: