Pages:
Author

Topic: My bank account's got robbed by European Commission. Over 700k is lost. - page 44. (Read 408474 times)

legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
P.S. The worst thing is, that even a month ago I was suspecting that things can go wrong. In February, I several times called my banker and lawyer and asked them if money on the account is safe, mentioning that article in Financial Times. But they convinced me that there is no reason to worry, and even if country goes default, in no way current accounts may be affected. ...
That sucks man. Just before the 2008 collapse I drained my accounts. At the bank they were horrified and almost literally begged me t keep my accounts full. I went with my gut and took it all out anyway. Now we know that America was "within hours of shutting down the ATM networks". The people at the bank were the least qualified to see it coming because they have so much invested in the system.

There's nothing a bank fears more than everyone wanting their money back.

Actually they changed the laws so that it is no longer your money any longer, but a debt that the bank owes to you. They do not fear "the run" so much since then.
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
Game theory in practice.  ;-)

Come on Matthew, it's your own money your taking. You're just preventing people from stealing your money. It is not your fault nor your responsibility that they are stealing from others.

In some cases that is true, but in the case of bitcoinica for example, lets say they only had 50% of the owed funds left. Would you ask for 100% or would you recommend a fair even settlement for everyone?

A nice sentiment but it only works if all actors are fair.

It only takes one person to think only of themselves first and then everyone will do it so with the likelihood of there being at least one person doing this, the best course of action is to get whatever you can because it's possible you might end up with nothing.

Speaking of practice, there is a legal procedure called interpleader, which basically legitimizes the pro rata distribution of the ramaining funds. However, you can put up a fight, and claim the whole amount, for example based on the prior judgement in your favor, or whatever reason that would compel the other parties' lawyers to accept your terms.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
Come on Matthew, it's your own money your taking. You're just preventing people from stealing your money. It is not your fault nor your responsibility that they are stealing from others.

In some cases that is true, but in the case of bitcoinica for example, lets say they only had 50% of the owed funds left. Would you ask for 100% or would you recommend a fair even settlement for everyone?

They owe me 100% so if I could get 100% by myself I would take 100%. Again: not my responsibility/fault that they are scamming/defaulting.

If I and the other debtors needed each other (for example to sue them) we could agree to share the proceeds to rata.
What would you do?

I certainly wouldn't ask a friend to abuse a position of power in order to put me at the front of the line.  I would accept my fate.

So your advice to the OP is to accept his fate?
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
P.S. The worst thing is, that even a month ago I was suspecting that things can go wrong. In February, I several times called my banker and lawyer and asked them if money on the account is safe, mentioning that article in Financial Times. But they convinced me that there is no reason to worry, and even if country goes default, in no way current accounts may be affected. ...
That sucks man. Just before the 2008 collapse I drained my accounts. At the bank they were horrified and almost literally begged me t keep my accounts full. I went with my gut and took it all out anyway. Now we know that America was "within hours of shutting down the ATM networks". The people at the bank were the least qualified to see it coming because they have so much invested in the system.

There's nothing a bank fears more than everyone wanting their money back.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!

legendary
Activity: 4130
Merit: 1307
Game theory in practice.  ;-)

It only takes one person to think only of themselves first and then everyone will do it so with the likelihood of there being at least one person doing this, the best course of action is to get whatever you can because it's possible you might end up with nothing.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

legendary
What would you do?

I certainly wouldn't ask a friend to abuse a position of power in order to put me at the front of the line.  I would accept my fate.

If this is sincere (which I doubt) hats off for sticking with your principles. As I don't have this specific principle I would help myself first.

I agree with notme. Taking money (unless it's an extreme emergency) while knowing others won't be able to get it doesn't feel right at all. I'm speechless at how much greed there is in this community. It certainly helps me ignore opinions a lot knowing that the people giving them are for the lack of a better term, scumbags. (i'm not talking about you watchword, and I'm referring to the sleezy actions of people during major community debt collection efforts)
legendary
What would you do?

If this is sincere (which I doubt) hats off for sticking with your principles. As I don't have this specific principle I would help myself first.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
What would you do?

What little savings that I had were taken away by some fly-by Russian bank in 1998. I ended up finding a person who knew a person, a phone call was made, and I was able to cash it out. So there is always a way.

So there is always a way.... for the well connected to screw the common person.  All the other depositors had just as much claim to their funds as you had to yours and got nothing in return.

It's called Rogering it (Roger Ver did the same thing with Bitcoinica I believe). Lol
legendary
What little savings that I had were taken away by some fly-by Russian bank in 1998. I ended up finding a person who knew a person, a phone call was made, and I was able to cash it out. So there is always a way.

So there is always a way.... for the well connected to screw the common person.  All the other depositors had just as much claim to their funds as you had to yours and got nothing in return.
legendary
And when you can figure out a way to legally short the taxman it becomes something really sexy...!  (And no, I'm not an accountant or a tax lawyer, LOL!)

Clearly.

Not paying taxes on barter is still illegal.  It might be easier to get away with though.
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc420.html
legendary
Activity: 4130
Merit: 1307
They view it as their's by default and you are allowed to keep a portion as they allow.

By DECREE .... how ironic., fuckers.
Seconded by Decree your money is mine you can't do anything about it go suck a lemon
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
Seconded by Decree your money is mine you can't do anything about it go suck a lemon
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
Pages:
Jump to: