Pages:
Author

Topic: My bank account's got robbed by European Commission. Over 700k is lost. - page 55. (Read 408474 times)

Activity: 133
Merit: 100
Here is something I wonder about:

Since you know the problems in Cyprus, why did you wait until they froze your assets?

I'd be there closing the account in the matter of minutes after I hear the news.

Actually I would have withdrawn them when the crysis hit Greece, since your economies are linked.

Hath you moved the moeny to St. Mauritius, now you'd be happy and rich, and not sad with 15% of your assets.

Here is a lesson to be learned.

So basically you didn't read the thread...  Roll Eyes

When this will happen to your country, will you have learned the lesson?
When your company will fire you because government took your salary, will you learn the lesson?
Activity: 154
Man is King!
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1001
Bitcoin - Resistance is futile
Today I've sold another part of my bitcoins and now I have money enough to completely pay off all our debts to customers and contractors.
Thanks to Lady Luck and Satoshi Nakamoto for the resurrection of my business!

I'm so inspired with bitcoin that I'm thinking about launching serious bitcoin related business project. Will announce it soon.

I'm happy to read this. Both news.

Good luck and keep fighting.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
The hearing of pending claims filed by affected depositors in The Supreme Court is scheduled for April 21st 2013.
On this date we'll see the fairness of the judicial system.

The truth is already told. The mafia and those with political connections, already had their money withdrawn from the London branches of the Cyprus banks. It's always the businesses that are legit and the small man that takes the hit.
cho
Activity: 155
Boar with me
Thx zeroday for the updates, great news about recouping your losses. I'm curious about what is going to happen at the supreme court hearing...
donator
Activity: 980
Argument against islands:  Too easy to nuke.

sucks for the small-medium business sector.  gubment gotta do what they gotta do under threat of violence from bigger entities...

jpg bitcoin user unaffected blah

Everywhere is easy to nuke nowadays, man.

Thankfully we have BTCitcoin.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Shame on everything; regret nothing.
Argument against islands:  Too easy to nuke.

sucks for the small-medium business sector.  gubment gotta do what they gotta do under threat of violence from bigger entities...

jpg bitcoin user unaffected blah
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
Today I've sold another part of my bitcoins and now I have money enough to completely pay off all our debts to customers and contractors.

I'm so inspired with bitcoin that I'm thinking about launching serious bitcoin related business project. Will announce it soon.

and there you have it ... first proof that a small bitcoin holding has proved to be a viable hedge against a failed banking system.
donator
Activity: 784

Activity: 532
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
It could have been worse, if they were able to steal his bitcoins too. 
But maybe they did not think about it... yet.
Like to see 'em try.
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064
Bitcoin is antisemitic
It could have been worse, if they were able to steal his bitcoins too. 
But maybe they did not think about it... yet.
Activity: 798
www.DonateMedia.org
This is beyond heinous and unacceptable

To save their own asses Cyprus is content to help the small-medium business sector fail outright by simply taking their business funds from them to repay their many sins. So later when they manage to drive small business elsewhere, what are they going to do with that void in the economy?

Blind leading the blind...and Zeroday is the first of many real world victims of this giant bubbleconomy we have now. Unfortunately I think the first of many more to come.

Good luck I hope you save your business!

donator
Activity: 784
The hearing of pending claims filed by affected depositors in The Supreme Court is scheduled for April 21st 2013.
On this date we'll see the fairness of the judicial system.

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1006
100 satoshis -> ISO code
Switzerland has struggled to keep the CHF rate reasonable to stop their export base being hollowed out by a cheap euro. They have even threatened to print as many francs as it takes to do it. The problem is that the few countries which try to run a sound monetary system are undermined by all the others who are in competitive devaluation. Unless world trade collapses the currency wars reduce all states to a beggar-thy-neighbour policy.

Please, that's mercantilist reasoning. It was debunked a couple centuries ago.

Swiss were doing very well with the strong CHF. Their purchasing power was rising yearly. Now, to temporarily protect a small sector of their society (exporters), they will impoverish their entire society and all those who hold CHF! That's pure nonsense. Why everybody should have their purchasing power decreased in order to save a less efficient sector of their society?
And btw, many exporters also benefit from a strong purchasing power, as they also import some inputs to their business.

It's a struggle to interpret this SNB view differently: "any appreciation of the Swiss franc would compromise price stability and have serious consequences for the Swiss economy."
http://www.euroinvestor.com/news/2013/03/21/snb-will-defend-eur-chf-floor-for-foreseeable-future-official/12259460
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004
Switzerland has struggled to keep the CHF rate reasonable to stop their export base being hollowed out by a cheap euro. They have even threatened to print as many francs as it takes to do it. The problem is that the few countries which try to run a sound monetary system are undermined by all the others who are in competitive devaluation. Unless world trade collapses the currency wars reduce all states to a beggar-thy-neighbour policy.

Please, that's mercantilist reasoning. It was debunked a couple centuries ago.

Swiss were doing very well with the strong CHF. Their purchasing power was rising yearly. Now, to temporarily protect a small sector of their society (exporters), they will impoverish their entire society and all those who hold CHF! That's pure nonsense. Why everybody should have their purchasing power decreased in order to save a less efficient sector of their society?
And btw, many exporters also benefit from a strong purchasing power, as they also import some inputs to their business.
Activity: 183
As to why the Cypriot banking sector was kept this way by the govt/CB, this might be the answer:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fxteam.ru%2Fforex%2Ffundamental%2F%3Faction%3Dshow%26id%3D6568
First, all these years, the Central Bank of Cyprus has not issued new licenses to private banks, trying to keep the rest three or four locals. As a result of these giants made, which are now very difficult to close.

Secondly, the Cypriot banks are managed and controlled by a bunch of retired old farts who received seats on the board of directors as an honorary pension for their services in completely different industries.

Third, the trade unions, which are not allowed to regulate the number of bank employees who have so much power that they can at any time stop the operation of any bank (which, incidentally, has already happened).

The investment policy of banks - is a separate issue, which is scary to think about, after all those losses that have come out, this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Activity: 183
I don't think the Cyprus government stifled competition at all. I had a friend that was selling securities out of Cyprus up until a year ago (thank god) when he switched to Panama. If anything they were reckless in their handing out licenses (Genius Funds).
I meant licensing of banks. (other kinds of financial services is a completely different story) For instance, compare the number of banks and their sizes in relation to each other in Cyprus and Luxembourg (comparable by population and both being "financial centres"). Cyprus has (had) 2-3 "TBTF" banks with lots of branches, some branches of foreign banks from the EU and elsewhere (each having just one or a few offices in Cyprus) and that's it. Luxembourg on the other hands has about 150 banks and they seem to be doing fine. (well, so far at least.. see http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323550604578408721050676326.html )
Activity: 168
Not only is it the first domino, but also since the EU not only endorsed, but CAUSED the theft to occur, people are likely to start withdrawing from other European banks.
They SHOULD! While they still can. It's official:
http://www.businessinsider.com/olli-rehn-cyprus-depositors-2013-4
Big bank depositors could take a hit under planned European Union law if a bank fails, the EU's economic affairs chief Olli Rehn said on Saturday, but noted that Cyprus's bailout model was exceptional.

"Cyprus was a special case ... but the upcoming directive assumes that investor and depositor liability will be carried out in case of a bank restructuring or a wind-down," Rehn, the European Economic and Monetary Affairs Commissioner, said in a TV interview with Finland's national broadcaster YLE.

Of course they should. They'd be idiots not to.
Activity: 168
Here's the thing: In a heavily bank-based economy like Cyprus, the banks provide most of the income for the government, directly or indirectly. When your banks are many times larger than your economy, the taxes you extract from those banks are also many times larger than your economy, and the money those banks pay employee's IS the economy. So, sort of by definition, when the banks fail, so will the government.

Cyprus has been attracting investments from all over the world for years and years. While financial products are not a traditional "export", it is a sort of product that can grow an economy. While cyprus may have been diversified nowhere near enough, they were at least doing something, and the government actually tried to encourage this thing to grow, rather than throw roadblocks at it like much of the rest of the world.

On the other hand, Greece really wasn't doing much of anything except spending money and then borrowing more. I maintain that this whole entire debacle was Greece's fault, Greece was the one that actually wasted the money. The Cypriots were just trying the best they could (although in somewhat of a naiive way) to make the best economy they could on a little island.
I agree. Partially. While what you say is likely to be accurate, there were other things going on in Cyprus at the same time. Like insane spending by the government (6 or 7 billions in debt they can't pay back) and unimaginably reckless "investment" policies of the two largest ("TBTF") banks. Which by the way grew to be TBTF as a result of local CB's/govt's licensing policy. (stifling competition)
I don't think the Cyprus government stifled competition at all. I had a friend that was selling securities out of Cyprus up until a year ago (thank god) when he switched to Panama. If anything they were reckless in their handing out licenses (Genius Funds).

And as for Government debt, note the first paragraph in my previous reply. They were counting on their main industry, banks, continuing to provide revenue. Its pretty hard to balance a budget when suddenly a very lucrative income stream suddenly disappears. They weren't perfect, but they were at least rational.
Activity: 532
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
To be fair though, there are probably plenty of governments, and banks, that are perfectly safe. Just not in the EU.
You know any governments that aren't A) in debt up to their eyeballs, or B) printing money like mad? 'Cause I don't.
I don't know, Switzerland?

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/switzerland/government-debt-to-gdp
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/switzerland/inflation-cpi

I'm not 100% sure of the validity of these figures, but it seems obvious that they are at least trying.

I think you mean "bugger" Wink
Pages:
Jump to: