Pages:
Author

Topic: My S9 Heater version - page 2. (Read 1589 times)

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621
September 22, 2020, 08:17:07 AM
I was wondering if a spacer between the fan and the chassis might help things a little even in the orientation I have it.

I would love to have the boards you have but I remember you saying the MOQ was 600 boards which was a bit of a joke really.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
September 22, 2020, 07:57:31 AM
Good to know.

I often wonder if push from back to front is better or pull from front like you have.

I have a 1 fan rig with custom s9  different chips more efficient .

it does 16th and 880 watts.

I push back to front with no front fan.

To make this work correctly I took a dead 120mx120mmx25mm fan cut out the blades and used it as a spacer.

The push then worked really well.

It is a nice little rig. But the custom boards are fuck you to solo.ckpool and to mmpool.

which are the pools I would want to use it to.
September 22, 2020, 02:12:54 AM
Is the fan a push or a pull?

Its pulling from front to back.
legendary
September 21, 2020, 08:03:29 PM
Is the fan a push or a pull?
September 21, 2020, 03:37:49 PM
Seeing as this is the space heater thread, I thought I would post mine:-

S9 13.5Th, single fan, dust filter on the front, custom cables, side mounted psu thanks to a side panel from another S9 chassis. Also an RJ45 wifi bridge with wide range voltage input so can work over wifi and be powered from the psu directly.

Running Braiins OS and getting 9.6Th at 760w at the wall. If my math is correct its 79w/Th which isnt too bad.

legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1561
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
September 06, 2020, 12:31:18 AM
[...]

With Braiins OS+ you just use powerlimit 600* to achieve the same. There are people using all 3 boards with a single fan, with powerlimit set to 900 claiming to be very quiet, so there is a lot of room to improve if you switch to the autotuning algorithm which Braiins OS+ provides rather than use manual settings.

* While it says 600 (watts), this value always assumes 3 boards so its always treated n/3 even if you have two or one board. A feature has been requested to treat them individually. In the meantime 600 / 3 = 200 which is what you want. You could also go lower but won't go realistically do lower than about 100w per board. I tried a single board and it kinda tries to use even lower speeds for about 90w or so, but it works fine producing about 1TH/s or such. And yes, i pointed that to solo.ckpool.org to verify stats.

Remember any evaluation regarding autotuning has to wait until the board reports "Stable", let it work until the end before measuring.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
August 13, 2020, 07:12:38 PM
At what wattage was this able to run at? I have to admit I am always intrigued in turning older miners into quiet low wattage lottery devices for the solo pool!

It's doable, but I wouldn't say applicable for all old miners, the miner firmware needs to be customizable because almost all stock firmware on all different mining gears restrict the frequency and voltage you can use, at best they will give you a few options to select from like "Low-Power-Mode" or a set of fixed frequencies to chose from.

With that being said, the S9 is an exception (T9 as well since they use the same control board) using a custom firmware wether it's Braiin's or Vnish (the former is open-source and free) gives you the ability to downclock the S9s to a very low specs and that will make it run somehow quite and power efficient, however not to the extent where you can place it next to your bed, but with a few physical modifications you can reduce the noise significantly, you should check this topic.
legendary
August 13, 2020, 12:12:07 AM
At what wattage was this able to run at? I have to admit I am always intrigued in turning older miners into quiet low wattage lottery devices for the solo pool!

If you program the s9 1 board with brains.

You can set hash down to freq 225 and volts to 7.95 or 8.00 or 8.05

this will keep you near 180-225 watts with a low fan speed.

I could be wrong and it will set to freq to 200  but volts go to 7.95 at best.

I was able to do two board at about 380 watts with a quality psu.

I also have the three boards from another builder that fit in s9s

they do a little better on efficiency but dont set lower then freq 300

so they do about 190-210 watts and higher hash.

all of them are hard to go under 180 watts and fans under 2000 rpm are hard to set.

also some act really weird.
legendary
June 11, 2020, 04:15:01 PM
I look at your Idea I looked at my idea.

I came up with a different idea.

I will show it next week.

These new boards are better then s9 boards.

Since I am an idiotic stupid moron that can't solve complex math or code very well I have to reduce myself to simple mechanical ideas and designs.

Once these are made maybe the firmware is tweak able and can be improved upon but I simply don't know any thing about firmware for the new gear.

I can operate it I can screen shot it.  Playing with its code is far beyond me.  I simply don't know how to do that.  In fact I don't even know how the mining code looks like.
I don't know what the developer did.

So I am not sure if it even uses cgminer or bminer or another firmware.
Activity: 446
Merit: 347
June 11, 2020, 03:59:25 PM
Bump

You don't have tested my mod on your own S9 Smiley ?
legendary
January 13, 2020, 06:46:23 PM
I think this is the his firmware which he now gives for free according to the information he added to the thread > https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/exploit-antminer-s9-and-t9-firmware-asicboost-original-moded-free-release-5127323

Despite the doubts raised by respected member Kano, I for some reason think that thierry4wd was honest about not altering the bmminer (aka stolen and modified cgminer  Undecided) and he somehow patched it and got full control over frequency and voltage, I tend to think that thierry4wd is a trusted member who puts a lot of effort for the mining community.
Activity: 392
Merit: 159
January 13, 2020, 06:07:51 PM
[...]

Love your project.

Do you have a link to your firmware?

Thank you.
January 11, 2020, 07:46:08 PM
Yes i totaly agree by this ! Wink

but on this mod, the pressure is very low! so, absolute not noise by holes, only litle noise by fan Wink
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1561
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
January 11, 2020, 12:26:53 PM

---------------------------

Is my idea Wink  two side, so 8 new holes arround 20mm i thinks is good size Smiley i have expected air flow, and up and down the flow is litle down, so by 8 news litle hole (not to big to respect the pressure) compensate this "problem" for more efficiency Smiley

Can't see pictures but here is something that may be interesting for you to know:

Consider using a dremel to make non circle holes (such as square or octagon). Circles make more noise (like a flute).

Just remember: to reduce noise, avoid circles.

Someday i will try your idea, when i move to a country with actual winter.
January 02, 2020, 06:22:54 AM
[...]

Yeah ! absolut no problem !!!  Cool if you find better idea i take this with pleasure !!! so i don't a god  Cool

So, for proof, i have take directly my finger at heatsink !!! VERY COLD at center lol (normal ! is directly in enter air flowing !)

and for fan direction, i thinks my solution is better, i don't tell this so this by me, just i thinks is best idea... Smiley

For fun ! overclock at 800mhz/930mv (hashboard come by 13th model, bad efficiency) by fan fixed at 100% , just look temps ! :p and at this time, i have removed fans, in running mode, and i touch the headsink, and, is not to hot Smiley (ambient temp is arround 20c)

Ps : i have release my personal firmware for free for all, if you want try and take critique Smiley
legendary
January 01, 2020, 07:08:49 PM
your purpose is true only if the hole is smaller than air flow debit ! the proof is here, temp is very low on my configuration Smiley

Temp is low might also be due to a few  other reasons, having a single board in the miner is a huge advantage, also I am not sure where the temp-sensor is exactly located, if it's far from the middle, then the reading can be way too off , if i am not mistaken the temp sensor is somewhere near the edge of the board (exhaust side), so in theory, temps in that middle part which i am worried about could very likely be a lot higher than what shows on the miner status.

Please don't get me wrong , I am not underestimating your abilities, I know you know much better than me in this field, I am just trying to discuss potential issues which might require some tweaks.

Thanks.

right now i am monitoring the solo.ckpool super rental trying to squeeze every dime i can for the ten of us in it.

how?where?what?  Embarrassed

did you arrange this on forum? wish you best of luck.
legendary
January 01, 2020, 06:45:37 PM
right now i am monitoring the solo.ckpool super rental trying to squeeze every dime i can for the ten of us in it.

so i did not get to play with the s9 i have at home.

i did realize that holes could be covered and various patterns of air flow studied.

i e

o.            o.           o

O

o.            o.           o

do all  holes above on the two sides. simply cover a hole with duct tape to tune best heat results.

the fans could be

<.   >.  maybe best

>.    >

<.    <

>.   <.     i don’t fans will work well this way.

it is a project i will get to very soon.
January 01, 2020, 05:55:44 PM
your purpose is true only if the hole is smaller than air flow debit ! the proof is here, temp is very low on my configuration Smiley

with my design, the hole are sized in fonction, so, if you turn the fan at full speed, ok, the hole is to small for this, but not interrested by this, my idea is make small pressure, just for good flow, at low speed fan Smiley

ps : Philipma1957, you have try this Smiley ? what results ?
legendary
January 01, 2020, 05:49:49 PM
That's an amazing design indeed, however, I have one concern which is the pressure on the fans' motors, I don't know much about physics and airflow, but I think when two fans are pushing air in the opposite directions they will collide with/against each other thus effecting the air flow specially in the middle area.

to illustrate more using your design.

where I put the *** is the main area of concern, the hot air around that area may stay there for a little longer than the board can handle ,also both fans need to put extra work to be able to spin against one another, fans are cheap, but if they break every couple days then well !!

if i am wrong please correct me
January 01, 2020, 08:30:05 AM

Is my idea Wink  two side, so 8 new holes arround 20mm i thinks is good size Smiley i have expected air flow, and up and down the flow is litle down, so by 8 news litle hole (not to big to respect the pressure) compensate this "problem" for more efficiency Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: