Pages:
Author

Topic: Namecoin attack threat - Please withdraw your Namecoins ASAP - page 2. (Read 5257 times)

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
@Mr Wizard

I think the creator of GeistGeld can readily verify that I have 68 GH/s of my own.

nice to hear that, lots of hashes Smiley
thanks for making this security test for all of us, would be nice to have some results after you finish though

Glad you like it, he also claims he can do it with as little as 25% of the power.... would seem to me doing it to Bitcoin itself in not that far outside his reach with all the support you all have for these "testers", will that be the next great test, he does need to know the limits after all.  Am I right people?  Ya BTCExpress, just go straight for Bitcoin, that after all is the MOST realistic test, a lot of people here would love to see your data.
This attack is only really possible at over 90% power (which he seems to have), unless he actually found a exploit in the code itself. Personally, I think that he just thinks he found a "design flaw", but we'll see. He'll be able to do this attack with this much power, anyway.

it is a design flaw Maged  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.521772
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
@Mr Wizard

I think the creator of GeistGeld can readily verify that I have 68 GH/s of my own.

thanks for making this security test for all of us, would be nice to have some results after you finish though

Glad you like it, he also claims he can do it with as little as 25% of the power.... would seem to me doing it to Bitcoin itself in not that far outside his reach with all the support you all have for these "testers", will that be the next great test, he does need to know the limits after all.  Am I right people?  Ya BTCExpress, just go straight for Bitcoin, that after all is the MOST realistic test, a lot of people here would love to see your data.
This attack is only really possible at over 90% power (which he seems to have), unless he actually found a exploit in the code itself. Personally, I think that he just thinks he found a "design flaw", but we'll see. He'll be able to do this attack with this much power, anyway.
legendary
As far as believing, we have proven it to the right people. Gavin and others are aware of this exploit but have kept quiet about it.
Very well, I'll defer to them, in this case.
legendary
@Mr Wizard

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
legendary
Let me put it this way: You're saying that you have more hashing power than every pool other than Deepbit, btcguild, and Slush. Additionally, that's without having even advertised your rouge pool on this forum.

Please tell me how you actually expect us to believe that.
He says he works at Apple, and if that's the case, especially if he works in a HW lab, he has access to a TON of equipment.  Can you corroborate his IP with that of Apple Inc?  It would be a shame if he were wasting valuable corporate resources and/or time on either coordinating an attack or browsing these forums on company time.

Anybody down for a social attack on BitcoinEXpress, just for the lulz?  I mean, it'd be for his own good anyway so he can better protect himself in the future. Cheesy

I'm down. What city did he say he worked in? I know it was one outside the United States.

i think you should leave aside personal attacks and thanks these guys for making it public, they even gave some time to take measures

just make sure you keep your node running with the original blockchain in place, the fork will not be accepted by default, and stop transacting any coins. Please read up some more on the bitcoin protocol

@viperjbm man you have time to write those long posts and don't dedicate some to educate yourself into how blockchains work
Activity: 980
Merit: 506
Let me put it this way: You're saying that you have more hashing power than every pool other than Deepbit, btcguild, and Slush. Additionally, that's without having even advertised your rouge pool on this forum.

He says he works at Apple, and if that's the case, especially if he works in a HW lab, he has access to a TON of equipment.  Can you corroborate his IP with that of Apple Inc?  It would be a shame if he were wasting valuable corporate resources and/or time on either coordinating an attack or browsing these forums on company time.

Anybody down for a social attack on BitcoinEXpress, just for the lulz?  I mean, it'd be for his own good anyway so he can better protect himself in the future. Cheesy

I'm down. What city did he say he worked in? I know it was one outside the United States.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222
brb keeping up with the Kardashians

He says he works at Apple, and if that's the case, especially if he works in a HW lab, he has access to a TON of equipment.  Can you corroborate his IP with that of Apple Inc?  It would be a shame if he were wasting valuable corporate resources and/or time on either coordinating an attack or browsing these forums on company time.

Anybody down for a social attack on BitcoinEXpress, just for the lulz?  I mean, it'd be for his own good anyway so he can better protect himself in the future. Cheesy
legendary
Currently we are at nearly 1 Tera Hash in committed miners.
Bullshit. Remind me, why are we even listening to this troll?

Because it isn't bullshit, we've demonstrated it.
Troll, an over used adjective that translates into anyone making a statement that someone disagrees with.
Do you think DoubleC or Ruxum are are run by people that don't know what they are doing?

Can you explain the 20,000 block generation in 73 minutes on Geist Geld, I think not, but I can. It wasn't my creation, it was ArtForz, we simply ran with it.

Block 19102 will be the point truth now won't it?

legendary
Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000
I have backed up the Namecoin block chain and have shut down my namecoind.

If this attack succeeds, I assume that it can be reversed by patching namecoind to reject this new chain.

This attack would be a non-issue if we were already doing merged mining.

can this or similar countermeasure be automatically deployed in case of attack ?

Because of the nature of the attack I think this has to be a manual effort. I could be wrong.

not so bad if a massive attack on the bitcoin blockchain can be reversed by patching and upgrading all the clients

If this attack succeeds, I assume that it can be reversed by patching namecoind to reject this new chain.

can this or similar countermeasure be automatically deployed in case of attack ?

Because of the nature of the attack I think this has to be a manual effort. I could be wrong.
legendary
Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

Good point. If we all choose to not use his forked namecoin chain then he can go play with himself and his pointless namecoins and register himself domains forever and ever so he can visit them by himself.
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

The fact these "hackers" are allowed to post here even though some of them have already caused monetary loss to others is surprising. By helping facilitate people known to have done such things the forum owners themselves could be liable for damages. And I'd advise anyone affected to date by such things to look into it.

... says CoinHunter?  I'd recommend posting thoughts of this nature under a new name... heh
Coinhunter (like him or not) has been pretty consistent with his personality/results from the start.

+1 Yes he has. BitcoinEXpress has flip flopped on his claimed motives for his actions.
legendary
Activity: 1764
The fact these "hackers" are allowed to post here even though some of them have already caused monetary loss to others is surprising. By helping facilitate people known to have done such things the forum owners themselves could be liable for damages. And I'd advise anyone affected to date by such things to look into it.

... says CoinHunter?  I'd recommend posting thoughts of this nature under a new name... heh
Coinhunter (like him or not) has been pretty consistent with his personality/results from the start.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Currently we are at nearly 1 Tera Hash in committed miners.
Bullshit. Remind me, why are we even listening to this troll?

Because it isn't bullshit, we've demonstrated it.
Troll, an over used adjective that translates into anyone making a statement that someone disagrees with.
Do you think DoubleC or Ruxum are are run by people that don't know what they are doing?

Can you explain the 20,000 block generation in 73 minutes on Geist Geld, I think not, but I can. It wasn't my creation, it was ArtForz, we simply ran with it.

Block 19102 will be the point truth now won't it?

Wow someone is definitely getting cocky and arrogant.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Boredom?
Pages:
Jump to: