Pages:
Author

Topic: Namecoin attack threat - Please withdraw your Namecoins ASAP - page 3. (Read 5257 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
Currently we are at nearly 1 Tera Hash in committed miners.
Bullshit. Remind me, why are we even listening to this troll?
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Block 19100 is the start of the The Namecoin Security Test.

This gives everyone about 10 days to work it out. I would love nothing more than to see the Namecoin leadership successfully thwart this.
I would suggest some rapid client updating the difficulty, fixing the time stamp exploits and potential license mining.

The only way now you will defeat this with hash power is to get BTC, Deepbit or another pool to rescue you.

The purpose of this is information and research only. The "Skynet" Test pool will go online hopefully by tomorrow. We are generating certificates for secure access while building the pool. Currently we are at nearly 1 Tera Hash in committed miners. I am absolutely shocked at what started out as a solo project has grown into this mass effort.

In the end this will benefit Bitcoin.

Withdrawing namecoins serves absolutely no purpose if the past 9000 blocks worth of transactions (including those withdrawing namecoins) cease to exist.
Were I an exchange I would be seriously pissed off, they've paid BTC and real USD for coins that are about to cease to exist.

If you honestly wanted to benefit bitcoin you could make your own fork identical to it, and 51% attack yourself.
Then nobody looses money and you don't murder a currency.
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
get merged mining jumpstarted and solicit help from pools without requiring them to abandon their likely custom bitcoind....that should thwart this...

if the only change needed to bitcoind were to paste in a patch for "putwork" (to supply bitcoind with the 32-byte namecoin merkle root) and recompile, I can't imagine a technical reason why they'd shun it.
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
Due to the credible threat of a pending attack on Namecoin, we are going to close both Namecoin withdraws/deposit AND trading soon.  

The attack threat is to re-write the blockchain back to block 10,000.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/delete-43465

All Namecoin traders on Ruxum need to withdraw all of your coins from Ruxum as soon as possible.  

We will be closing Namecoin trading and withdraw on Friday September 16, 2011 at 00:01  OR Namecoin block 19000, whichever comes sooner.

Please withdraw your Namecoin as soon as possible as we can not be responsible for Namecoins not withdrawn before the above deadline due to the nature of the threatened pending attack on Namecoin.  

Namecoin trading, deposits and withdraw is fully operational before the deadline.  Bitcoin trading, deposit and withdraw is not affected in any way.

We do not yet know if we will re-open Namecoin trading.

Thank you for your understanding.

UPDATE: Thurs Sept 15, 9:30pm EST
- It appears that the NMC blockchain has been forked.  Both Bitparking and Ruxum have agreed to support the original blockchain with merged mining scheduled to start at 19200.
- NMC withdraw and deposit will close in 6 hours from now.   We don't know when deposit and withdraw will open again so if you need your coins, please withdraw asap.
- NMC trading at Ruxum will remain open for the time being.
- For a fully operational exchange, we will require a fix for the time travel exploit + smooth transition to merged mining past block 19200. 
- We are suggesting the NMC project provide a mandatory 0.63 release with these upgrades and other known exploits and that the time travel fix takes place also at 19200.
Pages:
Jump to: